Manuel down shifting power lose

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Manuel down shifting power lose

Hi everyone I have been looking all through the treads and have not found my problem.

So here goes I have a 2005 King Ranch, the transmission has all the updates on it ( rebuilt a year ago ). The problem is when I manually down shift to either 2nd or 1st the engine seams to derate (loose power)! As soon as I put it back in drive the power returns.

I bought this truck used three years ago and the problem has always been there. Tired of dealing with it and would like to get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Why are you manually downshifting? I have had my truck since 01 and can only think of a rare handfull of times that I have ever needed to do this.

D

Old 09-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Why are you manually downshifting? I have had my truck since 01 and can only think of a rare handfull of times that I have ever needed to do this.

D
I do a lot of off roading in the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado to get to lakes and streams and prefer to keep it from shifting when I need to.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky3865
I do a lot of off roading in the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado to get to lakes and streams and prefer to keep it from shifting when I need to.
And that is a good and real reason. That is what the ability to manually downshift is actually for.

So to answer your question, I am not sure why the power changes. But, I can tell you that when manually shifting the transmission uses different components. The low reverse band applies in manual 1st and the OD band applies in manual 2nd.

D

Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 AM
And that is a good and real reason. That is what the ability to manually downshift is actually for.

So to answer your question, I am not sure why the power changes. But, I can tell you that when manually shifting the transmission uses different components. The low reverse band applies in manual 1st and the OD band applies in manual 2nd.

D
Well that may explain why the power lose seams worse in 2nd. I have never had this problem before. Have had many fords and this is my first to do this. But then again I have had f-250's with diesels for the last 20 years.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 AM

D
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 PM
[I[/I]
Originally Posted by sparky3865
Hi everyone I have been looking all through the treads and have not found my problem.

So here goes I have a 2005 King Ranch, the transmission has all the updates on it ( rebuilt a year ago ). The problem is when I manually down shift to either 2nd or 1st the engine seams to derate (loose power)! As soon as I put it back in drive the power returns.

I bought this truck used three years ago and the problem has always been there. Tired of dealing with it and would like to get it fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bill
I have this same issue with my 2004 f150, fx4. When I shift down to 2nd or 1st, then engine acts like it goes into "limp mode". This is a feature of the 5.4, that will try to protect the engine upon overheating, low oil pressure, etc. I have driven other f150's with same setup that do not have this issue. They have the power you would expect. No one understands this when I ask for help. I really get a chuckle out of people who say " why would you down shift?" Ha ha! So, I feel your pain bro. If you ever find the solution, please share

Last edited by gatref; 09-09-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 PM
If I find one I will be sure to post

Quick Reply: Manuel down shifting power lose