Tranny disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny disengaging

'04 F150 4x4 5.4 Lariat Supercab 8'box 8800lb heavy duty

5 days ago was accelerating up slight incline and at about 24mph, I noticed my engine racing and the tranny was not engaging. Just like you had slipped it into neutral. As I began slowing down and got back down to about 20mph, it engaged again. There was no noise, no vibration or clunking, the only way I first new what was happening was my engine racing. I got to work then later went home and drove all over the county including pulled a 5000lb trailer about 25 miles without incident it performed perfectly until today. Doing the same thing but this time had the "O/D off" light flashing on dash. I tried downshifting to 2nd, then 1st with no effect. Not until I slowed to about 20mph would it re-engage. Now it isn't coming out of it like before.
Any ideas what's going on?
Thanks

Old 06-21-2015, 10:34 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If the OD Off light was flashing, it has set a trouble code. A high end scanner is needed to read out the code, take it to a shop that has one.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If the OD Off light was flashing, it has set a trouble code. A high end scanner is needed to read out the code, take it to a shop that has one.
Which leads to my next question, where to take it. I have 2 transmission shops (aamco and cottman) near my house. I have never done business with them before. I also have an established Ford dealership near by which I have done business with. Which might be better to take this problem to?

Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 AM
glc
Even though they will probably charge you an hour's labor, I'd take it to Ford - unless you have a local independent general repair shop that has a capable scanner. It doesn't need a WDS, but it needs a scanner that's more capable than the code readers that the parts stores use for their free scan. Just ask if their equipment can read Ford transmission codes.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Just a follow up. Took truck to dealership this morning without an appointment. $219.00 just to diagnose. Then they called and told me (blah blah)
best to just put in a rebuilt Ford trans
for another $3,300.00
I'm a contractor and not having my truck is like loosing my most important tool. They said they would have it back to me tomorrow which I thought was pretty quick. I always feel like those guys just bend me over but rationalize that it'll get done quick and right.
Called the local AAMCO trans place after I gave dealership the go head just to make myself feel worse. Explained the symptoms and guy said no dagnostic fee and worse case scenario would be $2,500.00. That's $1,000.00 less than the dealership!!!! They said it would be a 3 day turnaround though. I got the impression from talking to both places AAMCO would be much more detailed in diagnosing and inspecting my tran and perhaps repairing it if possible where dealerships approach is "tranny doesn't work, bolt in a new one" possibly because no one qualified to quickly, effectively, and efficiently
repair.
This is why I do all of my repairs myself. This was just a little beyond my pay grade.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM
glc
$219 just to read out codes, then tell you that you need a new transmission without providing details? I wouldn't set foot in that dealership ever again, that's a huge ripoff. Like I said, a customary charge for reading codes is no more than 1 hour book labor which should only be in the $100 range.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Figgy - Did they tell you what was wrong with the transmission, or just that you needed a rebuilt one? This sounds very similar to what I'm dealing with on my 2000 F150. Especially when I jump on the gas hard, it seems to disengage around 25 miles per hour and just rev instead. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would ask for the specific codes always as a general rule. Actually have them give it to you with their estimate. Then tell them you are heading off for a second opinion. Sometimes that changes things a bit

My question with having done this for years is why does it do it going up a hill and not elsewhere. Sounds like the transmission is starving for fluid either from low fluid or a damaged, loose or totally unseated filter.

Unless the incline is enough that it just slips out of control due to the load and never regains forward momentum because it just can't. Thing is that I can't see this happening unless you are experiencing other severe issues elsewhere.

Sumthin aint addin up here...

D

Quick Reply: Tranny disengaging