04 F150 Shudder transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 F150 Shudder transmission??

Been a lurker for a while finally glad to have signed up for this forum. Unfortunately my first post has to be about a problem Ive been having with my truck recently.

A little background: Truck is a 2004 F150 Lariat Supercrew w/ 5.4. 2WD automatic. 155,000 miles. around 5-6000 miles ago had cam phaser replaced, spark plugs and other preventative parts that go along with the phaser. COPS boots were replaced but not COPS themselves.

I have been running an edge evolution programmer for about 2 months besides that the truck is stock.

Before the programmer was having minor problems with the transmission but really only when quickly accelerating such as on the interstate etc. truck would, "jump" into overdrive and kind of shake.

The programmer completely fixed that problem but now I have a new problem. When im at around 35mph/45mph and let off the gas for a second then push it again to accelerate to go up a hill or something the truck will shudder/bump. sometimes one time up to 3-4. feels like its slipping gears or something. doesn't do it all the time but enough to concern me.

I originally thought it was from the programmer and do plan on sending it in to get custom tunes(once I get exhaust) but today I set it back to stock and now it does it even worse!

Any ideas?

Last edited by Sollie7; 08-29-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 PM
i dont really think a programer can fix tranny issues, nor do i think custom tunes will either. if stock parts are not working on a factory tune, thats where id start

Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
i dont really think a programer can fix tranny issues, nor do i think custom tunes will either. if stock parts are not working on a factory tune, thats where id start
im just wondering if its actually the tranny or something else. was doing some reading with people having the same problem saying it was a bad COP. Guess I just want some more opinions, the whole shudder thing just recently started past week or so. I bought the programmer for the performance and fuel economy.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
jumping into od doesnt sound like plugs/cops to me. lugging in a gear going up a hill does. has the tranny fluid ever been changed? not saying change it, just asking..

Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 PM
jumping into od doesnt sound like plugs/cops to me. lugging in a gear going up a hill does. has the tranny fluid ever been changed? not saying change it, just asking..
honestly I think the jumping into od part is just the because im an aggressive driver. Not sure if the fluid has been changed or not but probably not honestly. Im just unsure of what to do. Ive read both sides about the edge, some say it will make the tranny last longer and some say it destroys it, but general consensus is custom tunes is the way to go. I plan on getting bilstein 5100s installed soon so I guess ill ask the shop what they think when I get that done. I just don't know if I should leave it stock programmed or run the edge. It does not do it as much with the programmer but at the same time if it is a problem with the tranny I don't want to mess it up even more with the edge.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 PM
I would do complete trans fluid exchange and filter and see if that helps.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
there was a thread on here a few months back i followed pretty closely about the shift firmness option on tuners. what i got out of it was that if you set it all the way firm its not slipping as much and will last longer, but in my opinion the shift shock could cause problems. orrrrr if you go the less firm route, it increases slipping, but in my opinion it may mask a little slipping if its started.

if it were me id throw it back to stock if you can and see what happens. also cold vs warm

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM
there was a thread on here a few months back i followed pretty closely about the shift firmness option on tuners. what i got out of it was that if you set it all the way firm its not slipping as much and will last longer, but in my opinion the shift shock could cause problems. orrrrr if you go the less firm route, it increases slipping, but in my opinion it may mask a little slipping if its started.

if it were me id throw it back to stock if you can and see what happens. also cold vs warm
put it back to stock today and it was even worse. I guess Ill just run the edge and get the tranny fluid exchanged when I get the shocks installed an go from there. hopefully thatll take care of the problem.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 PM
how were the tranny settings on the programmer?

and careful with the tranny fluid. most guys say to get it drained and refilled 3 times vs a flush with chemicals.

others also say the tranny will get worse after a fluid change due to the bits and pieces in the current fluid holding everything together

Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 PM
how were the tranny settings on the programmer?

and careful with the tranny fluid. most guys say to get it drained and refilled 3 times vs a flush with chemicals.

others also say the tranny will get worse after a fluid change due to the bits and pieces in the current fluid holding everything together
I just ran it on level 2 didn't mess with the settings

Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 PM
im not familiar with that programmer, so i wouldnt know if the levels altered trans settings. hopefully someone with a little more knowledge than myself can chime in and help.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It may be COPs, it may be old tranny fluid.

The correct way to exchange the fluid is with a machine in the passive mode, engine running, letting the tranny pump move the old fluid out and new fluid in. Use of flush chemicals is definitely not recommended.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree to NEVER flush with chemicals. That's a good way to need a new transmission. A flush without chemicals is the best way to change the fluid.
Others are wrong. There is NO truth to that. Bits and pieces do not hold a trans together. It's an old wive's tale.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Your tranny is going dude. Mine was doing the same thing for a couple of weeks and then 3 nights ago it went within 170000K on it. It would would even move when in gear. At highway speed, when letting off the throttle a bit, it would shake like a son of a bitch. Felt like the truck was going to fall apart. I guess the 04 tranny is year specific. Just found one with 98000K at a wrecker and having it shipped to me. Damn costly fix.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Just a little update guys. Im going to order the shocks this week. I wiggled the cop boots and ive been running the edge and it only occasionaly does the shudder thing only one "bump" now though so not as bad as before. Really thinking/hoping its just the cops an not the tranny. Im also going to clean the throttle body and MAF (can't hurt an sure it needs to be done anyway) Will also change the fuel filter when I have the shocks done. Then have the tranny fluid flushed. If the problem continues then ill just replace all the cops with accel super coils. Ill keep yall posted.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 Shudder transmission??