AOD Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD Q's

Well, the 90 model F-150 that I just picked up has some tranny issues, but the guy pitched in a working AOD out of a Crown Vic....I realize I'll have to swap the stuff over for the linkage..

Anything you'd advise, or that I should know? I intend on using the truck for towing, etc...

-Will

Old 01-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Before you proceed chech the length of the extension housing. If they watch it can be used.
Alan

Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
Before you proceed chech the length of the extension housing. If they watch it can be used.
Alan
Are you talking about the tailshaft?

-Will

Old 01-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
He means the housing around the tailshaft. Later police CVs used a shorter one to allow for a longer driveshaft.

Other things to know are:
1) there are several other differences among the various years & applications of AODs, so compare them CAREFULLY
2) even AODs built for trucks aren't built for towing. I doubt a car AOD will last more than a few pulls. If you have to tow, I recommend getting a heavier transmission. Either a rebuilt E4OD (which will require extensive rewiring of the truck & a computer swap), a C6 (lacks overdrive), a manual NP 435 (no OD, but one of the deepest granny 1st gears available), a BW T-18/19 (basically the same as the NP), or a ZF (the most expensive stick because it has a granny & OD).

The E4OD is easily the strongest of the bunch, and the heaviest, and the expensivest.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:14 PM
With aod's trucks used longer housings as well. The towncars got the longest. The car transmissions are built the same.
Alan

Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The Lincoln Mark VII has a longer tail shaft housing and is built from the factory with more clutches. Don't try to use any stock light car AODs without a performance rebuild.
I would honestly have a custom build and a converter to match and have it over with instead of fooling and wondering what will hold up in the short term.
My Mark VII has been running with a Kenne Bell blower at over 6 psi for a number of years. The trans was rebuilt some time ago and now has a shift kit, A servo and other improved parts in the valve body.
A performace rebuild would get you all these items plus better clutches and band material as well as a wider Overdrive band.
Think about it. Once and done istead of re-visiting trans problems over and over again.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna check and make sure they're the same...If so, then I'm gonna get it built

-Will

Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
The Lincoln Mark VII has a longer tail shaft housing and is built from the factory with more clutches. Don't try to use any stock light car AODs without a performance rebuild.
I would honestly have a custom build and a converter to match and have it over with instead of fooling and wondering what will hold up in the short term.
My Mark VII has been running with a Kenne Bell blower at over 6 psi for a number of years. The trans was rebuilt some time ago and now has a shift kit, A servo and other improved parts in the valve body.
A performace rebuild would get you all these items plus better clutches and band material as well as a wider Overdrive band.
Think about it. Once and done istead of re-visiting trans problems over and over again.
IMO all aod's are crappy from the factory, the truck versions were nothing better than the v8 car versions. The markVII did not have a longer shaft it had the short version used in thunderbirds and mustangs. Town cars had the longest shaft.
Alan

Quick Reply: AOD Q's