OverDrive Light Blinking - No OBD II codes - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverDrive Light Blinking - No OBD II codes - Suggestions?

Need Help..

Doing a search has told me that the OverDrive light blinking also serves the same function for the transmission as the Check Engine light does for the engine..

I hooked up my OBD II kit to my truck last night, but there were no codes to pull..

I plan to check the tranny fluid level tonight, once I can get to a level parking lot (my driveway is a pretty good hill)..

Any suggestions on additional things to check/replace before I have to break down and take it to the dealer?? Would disconnecting the battery to reset the computer help at all??

Thanks!!

Old 03-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
When the OD light flashes there is a code stored. If you couldn't read the code you don't have the correct tool to read Ford specific codes. They are different than OBDII codes, which any code reader can access.

If you disconnect the battery the code will be erased.

Old 03-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Most OBD-II scanners can't read the Ford transmission codes. Considering that the transmission can self-destruct very quickly, I think it is best to have the code retrieved rather than resetting the computer and seeing if it comes back.

See if you can just have the code retrieved at an independent shop instead of a Ford dealer. The Ford dealer will charge at least 1 hour labor whereas an independent shop may retrieve the code for free.

Any symptoms along with the TCIL???

Old 03-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Is the light continuously flashing?

I had a flashing light on my truck one night. I discovered that the gear selector was between the detents for D and 2. As a result, OD would not engage on the highway - but the truck ran fine.

Once I shut off the truck and re-started, the condition went away, and hasn't come back (4 months).

Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2003, 04:50 PM
AjRagno-

No major symptoms, but I have noticed a harder than normal downshift a couple times..

spridel-

I have driven the truck 4 times since I first had the problem.. The light starts continuously blinking after about 5-10 minutes of driving.. No specific noticable event seems to trigger the problem, but like I said, it has happened 4 times now..

Thanks for the feedback so far!! Let me know if you have any additional thoughts!!!

Old 03-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Run, don't walk to get it checked. I'd almost bet that you have a 62 or 628 -converetr clutch slipping. The code that is causing the od light to blink will be found in continuous memory codes after the KOEO codes are retrieved. -John

Old 03-11-2003, 09:08 PM
I had this exact problem, started with the light blinking and then started to notice hard downshifts. it was the internal harness and temp sensor. make sure you have the filter replaced while they have the pan down. Also have them drain the TC and you will have a complete service for the priceof an extra 5 qts of fluid.

frank

Old 03-11-2003, 11:18 PM
One thing that I noticed on the drive home tonight - the OverDrive light does not start blinking until I get to about 45-50mph, which is when the transmission shifts into OD (4th gear)..

No noticeable problems with with the tranny in OD, but that is when the light comes on.. I was beginning to think that the problem went away, but it turns out that because there was so much traffic (keeping the speed down around 25mph-35mph), the light did not begin to blink until about 20-25 minutes after I left work, which was when the traffic speed finally picked up..

Does this ring any bells with anyone??

As always, thanks!

Old 03-12-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by smcconaghie
One thing that I noticed on the drive home tonight - the OverDrive light does not start blinking until I get to about 45-50mph, which is when the transmission shifts into OD (4th gear)..

No noticeable problems with with the tranny in OD, but that is when the light comes on.. I was beginning to think that the problem went away, but it turns out that because there was so much traffic (keeping the speed down around 25mph-35mph), the light did not begin to blink until about 20-25 minutes after I left work, which was when the traffic speed finally picked up..

Does this ring any bells with anyone??

As always, thanks!

If you can accurately find out the code or codes that your truck is throwing I'm sure the problem would be much easier to diagnose. I also wouldn't drive it too much until you find out what the problem is. I've seen plenty of transmissions fail from being driven around in Ford's "failure effects management" (high line pressure limp mode). Particularly E4OD's

Old 03-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Got a call back from the dealership where I dropped it off at.. They say I need a new transmission, which will be in the range of $2,400 when all said and done with.. The truck only has 49k miles on it..

What is the drivetrain warranty from Ford? How can a transmission fail after only 49k miles? I thought most drivetrain warranties were good until at least 50k, if not more..

Any idea where I can find additional information??

Old 03-18-2003, 01:34 PM
warranty

warranty is 36 months or 36k miles which ever occurs 1st. Ive seen them fail with hardley any miles at all.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi Sm

Sorry for the bad news $$$. Like Dannys says its 3yr/36000mi.
(without ext.warranty)

I assume your a/t is the "4R70W" I also assume shop showed you trb.codes they pulled...which they have to interpet/figure out what needs to be done.

OK...new a/t. Meaning probably a rebuild. Now...ck. out all info. here on how to make a bullet proof "4R70W" . Also ask your shop, they may/maynot know?

I lost 2 "4R70W" within 37000mi. Both repaired using stock parts. OK so far...but for how long? Based on what ive since read here..i would have gone the extra $$$ for a "bullet proof" tranny on the second repair.

In all fairness...in my case..i think "towing" contributed to my failures. Even thou i learned alot from first failure...it didnt help prevent second failure. Still dosent leave me with a good feeling. Of course, thats just me.

Shop doing my repairs..said my a/t was light duty. They also
pointed out the 3 SD w/4R100, newer models in for failures..in their opinion...not a good tranny..guess they were trying to make me feel better, sure didnt make my wallet feel better

Its a crap shoot...some do ok/some dont.

Good luck...OT

Old 03-18-2003, 07:23 PM
trans rebuild or replace

OK...new a/t. Meaning probably a rebuild. Now...ck. out all info. here on how to make a bullet proof "4R70W" . Also ask your shop, they may/maynot know?

This is a very good article but most likely the dealer will push a reman replacement due to the fact that they come with a 36-36 warranty verses 12-12 on overhaul, i know i would.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
DT

So what happened?????????The light on my OD button "OFF" has just started to flash...I need to know what to do. I have 131K miles on my '99 5.4 4X4.....

Old 08-03-2022, 03:14 PM
Hey Mark, quick question on this one if you have the time...I know this was a long time ago but it is great info! Will the flashing OD store the code without turning on the check engine light?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: OverDrive Light Blinking - No OBD II codes - Suggestions?