"cranked torsion bars" Results>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up "cranked torsion bars" Results>>

I've been reading alot of previous posts on the subject. I got mixed reviews, but decided to try it, after all, I can crank them back down if I want to. I have a 1997 Supercab 4x4 with towing package. I jacked the front end up, one side at a time, and cranked the bolts 4 complete turns each. I got 1 1/2" lift. The alignment checked OK. The ride is a little firmer(can hardly tell). The ride is kinda firm, yet still soft, like a fine matress. The overall stance of the truck is greatly improved, what a difference 1 1/2" makes. Thanks, I just wanted to share.
Dave

Old 07-01-2002, 09:57 PM
Would you mind posting exactly what you did? I have the resources to do this, just not sure if i want to....but i DO want the look...see below listed vehicle specs., i hope they are the same as your '97. Any help would be appreciated!!!

TIA--medic

Old 07-02-2002, 08:19 AM
From the looks of your pics, your truck looks like it sits pretty level. It might be the snow plow package. I don't know what that consists of. Anyway heres what I did. I layed a board on the ground under the tow hooks and recorded the measurement from the hooks to the ground on each side. The measurements may be a little different on each side due to unlevel ground. I then jacked one side of the truck up to release pressure on the torsion bars. Under the middle of the truck, staight down from the door handles, you will see the end of the torsion bar. It goes into a crossmember and there is a adjustment bolt facing down to the ground. I sprayed the bolt with penetrating oil and cranked clockwise 4 times. Be sure to note how many full turns in case you want to put it back. Then repeat on other side with the same ammount of turns and re-check the measurements to see results.

Old 07-02-2002, 10:03 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Guys,

Here is an FYI from the manual;
CAUTION:
The torsion bar adjustment bolt is coated with dry Loctite® and must be replaced if it is backed off or removed. Failure to do so can cause the adjustment bolt to loosen up during operation and a loss of vehicle alignment.

I have not changed the bolt and so far have not had any allignment problems caused by the bolt backing off.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the heads up JMC,
I never heard of that before now...
So thanks.. Kudos to you dude!!

Old 07-04-2002, 05:23 PM
I did the torsion bar lift about a year ago. Everything I read here indicated that 2 - 2 and a half full turns of the bolt is all that you want to lift the truck. Any more and you put the CV joints in such an acute angle that excessive wear will occur.

I did 2 full turns and my truck now sits level.

Another note. You need to do this on level ground, such as a level concrete pad. This way, you can measure the height of the truck on both the left and right sides to see if it is level side-to-side before you start. You might be surprised. My truck was not level side-to-side, as was many others' on this board. So I cranked one side a little more to wind up level all around when finished.

JMC....

Thanks for that info. I was unaware of that. I think I will recheck mine a soon as I get an opportunity to make sure neither bolt has backed off any.

Old 07-04-2002, 06:11 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There are different rated bars available so you can not judge by one's 2 turns = level. Mine take 4 turns to level it out. I am looking to stiffen out the ride because of the weight of the winch so I will be getting shorter bars that are stiffer and should require less turns. FYI my 97 took only 2½ turns with the winch.

JMC

Old 08-21-2002, 09:31 PM
I'm about ready to "crank" my torsion bars and come to find out that the driver's side is about 1/2in lower. Looking at the adjustment bolt under the truck, I find that the driver's side has more room to play than the passenger's side by about 3-4 threads.

My question is how do I steer clear of this "acute drive angles" on the CV joints when I really don't have a reference to start off with? I'm not sure if the adjustment bolt were messed with by the previous owner or set that way from the factory.

Finally, where are you safely placing the jack to relieve pressure off the torsion bar?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Quick Reply: "cranked torsion bars" Results>>