Which Coilover Shocks Are The Best???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Coilover Shocks Are The Best???

Hey fellas, looking to purchase a set of coilover shocks for my 2005 FX4 SuperCrew. Looking for opinions on the pros and cons of each of the following coilovers. Who out there is running these?

Icon - http://www.iconvehicledynamics.org/c...products_id=43

King - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-08...spagenameZWD1V

Camburg - http://camburg.com/04F150.html

Fox - http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/39098

How much lift can I get out of these? Will the ride me soft or is it rough with preloaded coil-over shocks? Any help would be much appreciated. Pics would be great too.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 PM
whats the specs of your truck?

and what do you plan on doing with it

is it stock? If your lookin for just a levelin shock then take a look at Bilistien 5100's they are adjustable ride heigth.

king, fox, sway-away, FOA, ICON, and Camburg are all great coilovers but unless you REALLY plan on using the benifits of these Expensive brands bilistien will be alot better.

Its almost impossible to say which coilover is better, theres different spring rates different tube designs, with or without resevoirs. Most companies will make you whatever you are lookin for, but theres base series and then you get into the upgraded stuff.

If you compare the base series king and fox will come out on top. FOA's base series isnt much to be desired but there upgrades make for a GREAT LOW COST coilover

Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
kings seem to have the best rep here. and i hear what your saying 4.2trimble, when if your not going to really use it you dont need it, but i never wheel with my truck but i bought coilovers. if i didnt lift my truck i still would of wanted them. why not get the best for your truck? i wouldnt skimp out on anything.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Bilstein's have a great rep - solid shock.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Im just curious why you don't have Fabtech coilovers listed ? I have them as well as many other members here . There also great .

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Eff One Fifty
kings seem to have the best rep here. and i hear what your saying 4.2trimble, when if your not going to really use it you dont need it, but i never wheel with my truck but i bought coilovers. if i didnt lift my truck i still would of wanted them. why not get the best for your truck? i wouldnt skimp out on anything.
yeah you got the DL from fabtech thats not really what we are saying by coilovers yes they technically are coilovers but they are a cookie cutter product. If you see what im saying, yes its and upgade over the normal fabtech but theres no difference between each set upgraded. When we are talkin coilovers we are sayin different spring rates, resevoir or non resevoir. I completely agree with you getting the DL's and honestly if you arent gonna need the use of these more expensive brands DL's from fabtech is a GREAT upgrade. Fabtech DL's are at the lower spectrum of the coilovers that i listed, they are great easily better than some but dont touch king, fox, racerunners, icon, camburg. they come in right behind those.

Originally Posted by 06 SANDSTONE
Im just curious why you don't have Fabtech coilovers listed ? I have them as well as many other members here . There also great .
Fabtech DL's are an upgrade over the stock setup but arent anywhere near what king, fox, sway-away, icon, camburg are for major offroad use. If i was to lift an F150 with a fabtech lift that was primarily on-road then DL's are a great upgrade. But for a higher quality and more custom is were these top brands come in, any of these companies will make spring rates you need, resevoir, nonresevoir, different metals, different valving, different finishes.

What im saying is DL's are a cookie cutter product, great for a mild truck

If you need more go for the big brands and get what you NEED.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
FX4life had some problems with his King's from what I remember so check with him before you order those. Also, Jesserohr has ran 3-4 different coilovers and he seems to be in love with the Icons and they came out on top over the others he ran. I'd shoot both of them PM's and see what they say.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 AM
thanks for all the replys fellas. i like the icons and kings the most but i wish the icons had a cool color to them as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
lol. Sway a way makes camburgs, sway a way used to make fabtechs. icon is like the new donahoe (i think). Fox and Bilstein make the best shocks out of all the big names- stainless steel shaft not chromoly. But with what your probably going to be doing with your truck, it pretty much comes down to what color you like best. And btw bilstein makes some of the best off road shocks available for anything from rock crawling to desert racing.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I think the Kings are an excellent choice, as well as fox shox. My biggest issue was the ride quality after cranking them down to get back to 10" of lift. I swapped springs from a 16" to an 18" thinking it would give me the lift with no cranking, thus a better ride. It got a little better, but I'm still tinkering with it to obtain the perfect ride for me, my next step will be changing from the 700# rated springs to 600# springs

I had bilsteins and they where great till I got the Kings

Quick Reply: Which Coilover Shocks Are The Best???