97-98 -Need Stock Shock Measurement.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
97-98 -Need Stock Shock Measurement.

Having no luck finding the correct stock front shock measurement for the long T-bar models. Anyone have and old shock lying around ? I don't have mine, -I tossed them, my bad.

I would like to put this issue to rest. I have the Bilstein's and they seam to be short. I cross referenced the length with Monroe's and they are the same.

The only thing I can do now in order to verify is to compare with a stock part.

If the stock shock is the same measurement, then I'm taking the truck to the frame shop to figure out why the bushing are failing in a very short amount of time.

The front end has been checked out, it's tight - all parts have been replaced @ the dealership. Front end has been aligned/ wheels have been re-balanced.

It has to be the shocks or somethings bent, spent allot $$ trying to fix a problem I didn't have before installing these shocks.

Any help would be appreciated.

98 F150 4x4 w/trailer tow/off-road package/E40D. Build Date 7/98

Thanx

Last edited by jbrew; 03-02-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 97 4x4 offroad trailer tow with 4.6, 4R70W. It's stock. I replaced the front shocks with Monroe's that are stock replacements. I compared them with the originals and they looked the same. If you want I can take some measurements in the morning with the wheel on and off. I have had no probems for over 5 months. Let me know what measurement's you want.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 03-04-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynotech, could you do me a favor?

While you're measuring the shocks, could you send me the tire pressures from your door sticker?
I have a 97 that the previous owner put the 17" offroad wheels on and I need to know what the correct tire pressures are for the 265/70/17 tires are supposed to be.

My truck originally had 255/70/16 tires so that's what's on my door sticker....

TIA
Ted

Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by n3up
Dynotech, could you do me a favor?

While you're measuring the shocks, could you send me the tire pressures from your door sticker?
I have a 97 that the previous owner put the 17" offroad wheels on and I need to know what the correct tire pressures are for the 265/70/17 tires are supposed to be.

My truck originally had 255/70/16 tires so that's what's on my door sticker....

TIA
Ted
Per my door sticker: 265 70 17 inch, Front 29lbs. Rear 32lbs.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jbrew, fwiw, i swapped the longer torsion bars in on my 03, and faced no issues w/ the standard oem length shocks. i ran the longer torsion bars cranked fully w/ this setup, and after an alignment, i faced no shock related issus. i did split cv boots on both joints, however.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
I have a 97 4x4 offroad trailer tow with 4.6, 4R70W. It's stock. I replaced the front shocks with Monroe's that are stock replacements. I compared them with the originals and they looked the same. If you want I can take some measurements in the morning with the wheel on and off. I have had no probems for over 5 months. Let me know what measurement's you want.
That would be great!!!- I rotated the front shocks yesterday. Trying to get more life out of the Bushings. It's not going to matter much, the bottom bushings tore first this time lol - Tried everything I can think of :o

Old 03-05-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by minimonster17
jbrew, fwiw, i swapped the longer torsion bars in on my 03, and faced no issues w/ the standard oem length shocks. i ran the longer torsion bars cranked fully w/ this setup, and after an alignment, i faced no shock related issus. i did split cv boots on both joints, however.

Thanks, I thought maybe they would be different. Maybe the shocks are defective? Idunno - It rides awesome right after new bushings - Never lasts tho.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
hey jbrew i had to get 2 new shocks for my driver side front and since i needed them on the spot i got them from napa and i was looking for the stock shock lengths on my truck so i can get all new ones from summit. and napaautoparts.com had the extended lengths, travel lengths, and compressed lengths listed with there stock replacement shocks. maybe look there.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 PM

brew, My son is using my truck today, will have it back tomorrow. I'll pull the wheel and take measurements soon as I get it back. Unless you find spec's per Matts findings.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matts ford
hey jbrew i had to get 2 new shocks for my driver side front and since i needed them on the spot i got them from napa and i was looking for the stock shock lengths on my truck so i can get all new ones from summit. and napaautoparts.com had the extended lengths, travel lengths, and compressed lengths listed with there stock replacement shocks. maybe look there.
I'll take a look at that. I purchased Bilstein extenders lol, they don't fit right. I can install them, but can't use the bushings. Bushings won't fit the extenders. Mann, I'm sick of this problem. Wish I knew exactly what the problem was. - If I just would have kept my stocks - Dang!!!

napaautoparts.com is a dead link - wait! it opened in a "chrome" bowser. Yea, just gives me a bunch of napa servers ?

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...=7&SubCatId=10

This one ^^^ works. There we go, there is 3 extended length sizes 14.25, 14.35, 14.85.

I need to send this info to Bilstein when I send my shocks back if I have the wrong size. They told me on the phone and in letter that one size fits all - the 7700 series pick up. This blows, all the time and cash wasted from getting the wrong product. But the "wrong product" has to be proven first. Once I can do that, I'm definitely going after them. This is crap. But, yea, I have to prove without a doubt first.

I was thinking about just ordering replacements from the dealer. I'm not sure, I may just stop by a couple different ones and see what they list first.

Thanks Matt.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-06-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
brew, My son is using my truck today, will have it back tomorrow. I'll pull the wheel and take measurements soon as I get it back. Unless you find spec's per Matts findings.
The shock has to be off/relaxed for the measurement I need. It would be difficult to know while installed, I think? That's alright, please don't try to remove the shock, those shafts may break when loosening the nuts. - I wouldn't chance it.

I was hoping for someone to have a old front shock laying around somewhere. That would give me some kind of reference to shoot for.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it!!

EDIT: If you can find a way to measure on the vehicle, let me know how you did it and I'll try the same.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-06-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew

I was thinking about just ordering replacements from the dealer. I'm not sure, I may just stop by a couple different ones and see what they list first.

Thanks Matt.
just dont get your shocks from napa and you'll be good if you can find the right shocks. or at least the napa response, cuz thats what i got and my driver side rides like sh^t. the factory 16 year old shocks with just under 270000 miles ride better IMO. the new shocks are just way to mushy. but i hope you find the info you need. good luck

Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 PM

just dont get your shocks from napa and you'll be good if you can find the right shocks. or at least the napa response, cuz thats what i got and my driver side rides like sh^t. the factory 16 year old shocks with just under 270000 miles ride better IMO. the new shocks are just way to mushy. but i hope you find the info you need. good luck
Yea, I can't justify purchasing new shocks without knowing exactly what the problem is anyway. I thought it was something else in the front end at first - Nope!

So now I'm down to the shock itself again

I guess the question I have now is, - What does "extended length" cover? How do they get that measurement ? Is that measured by jacking the vehicle up with the front end hanging? Or, shock length - bushing center to bushing center?

I wonder if I could buy a set of old ones from the scrap yard, just to get a measurement. I would do that, if they had them lol.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:54 PM
you should make 2 measurements, with the shock off the truck. for full extension, measure what the distance is from top mount to bottom mount with the shock off, and truck jacked up by the bumper or frame till tire comes off the ground. check that full extension is at least that length.
for total compression of the shock, with the truck on the ground, measure the distance between the top and bottom mounts. then subtract the distance between the bump stop and the frame. the shock must be smaller than this number when totally compressed.
this was from fte

Old 03-07-2009, 01:37 AM

this was from fte
Good Find! - That's definitely going on the list of things to do!

Yea , I didn't try fte. Should have, I get allot of hard to find info there.

I'm going to be using the truck to pull 1200 mile round trips w/5000 lbs @ max. I have everything right where it needs to be - as good as I'm going to get it anyway , runs and brakes great! This last detail and she's ready.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 97-98 -Need Stock Shock Measurement.