Warranty issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty issues?

Has anyone with a lift on a new truck had any problems with having warranty work done? I want to do a 3" levelling kit and a 2" block (rear) on my 07 4x4. Just curious to see if anyone has done anything similar and had problems with the stealership not wanting to do warranty work if something (un-related to the lift) went wrong with the truck.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM
They can't. It's the law. If the aftermarket part is not proven to have caused the factory part to fail then they will have to cover it.

So if you have a lift, and a window switch goes out, they will still honor the warranty. But if you have a lift and a ball joint goes out, you are on your own.

I can tell you this though, I took my '07 in to get it checked out because the alignment is off, and the first question the service writer asked was "Is it modified at all?" So they are looking...

Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 PM
My lower ball joints weren`t cover. Due to my lift.What gets me, the stealership wanted 500 for repairs. Had a local mech. replace them for 200 total.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rgnprerunner is referring to the Maggnuson/Moss Warranty Act. However, dealers violated this law on a regular basis. The best advise is to talk to your dealer. SOme are cool about mods, some are real d!*&s. If your dealer gives you problems, start searching for a new one.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
The problem with the leveling kit is that it increases the front cv angles and therefore could be blamed for any problems. A lot of people have increased angles and no problems and others do have problems. I did see a new 07 FX4 the other day at the dealership and it had a leveling kit on it. So, I am assuming the dealer wouldn't have installed the leveling kit if it was going to cause problems with the truck. You never know.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Each dealer is different. I had my AS 2.5" kit installed by my dealer when I bought the truck. They do several level kit installs. My Service manager also is a good guy and has always been there for me. He said not to worry. If anything needs to be replaced/fixed under my warranty, he'd take care of it!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree. If the dealer does the modification then they will cover it.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was just at the local dealer today asking if a 2" leveling kit would be an issue with my warranty, absolutely not was the respsonse i got. then i asked if i stuff 33's or 35's on it, any problems, nope, other the other hand i asked the local dealer (the one in my town) and his response was, was it all modified? so i guess it depends of who the dealer is.

Last edited by ATOM; 09-28-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I asked my dealer the same thing a few months ago, I even called the warrantly hotline. The guy at the dealer was a mechanic and I had the service writer right next to him. They suggested I call the hotline, but he also mentioned that if the issue was unrelated to your modification, they would probably still cover it. But if you pull in with some monster tires and all that and your steering is jacked up, no dice.

The guy on the phone gave me the same answer, but he also had me on hold for 20 minutes while he talked to other people and the fact I needed to explain what a leveling kit was, kind of freaked me out.

One big thing the mechanic and service writer pointed out to me though is: If you take your truck to any dealer and they claim that the issue was caused by your mod's, that they put all that info in your notes as a customer for the entire Ford network of dealerships. Meaning that if you go to dealer A and they won't cover it, you couldn't "undo" your mods and then take it to a different dealer and try to get them to cover it.

They'll have the info that you had mods on it and once they see that they aren't there anymore, they'll be on to you.

Granted, I don't know how feasible it would be for sometone to REMOVE a leveling kit and change tire sizes, in order to get repairs done, but I'm sure it's been done, heh.

Quick Reply: Warranty issues?