Lightning

any good shops in Ga that can do timeinserts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any good shops in Ga that can do timeinserts?

Well I wrote a post earlier on how the last guy who changed my spark plugs stripped out cyl 8.. Just wondering if someone could recommend anyone in Ga that can do inserts etc.?? I am in dire need as this is my only means of transportation.. I'm hoping #8 can be done w/out the head being removed..
Does anyone know of any places in Ga that can do this?

Thanks a bunch!
Lay.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:02 AM
#8 that's a stretch my friend. I would try Jason Kitchens @ John Bleakly Ford in Austell. I would bank on any one that would attempt that cylinder would be removing the head.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Mike @ No Limit Race Cars in Forest Park Ga. did my insert for me about 2 years ago. Try him , he stays real busy but may have time to do it.

No Limit Race Cars
314 Forest Pkwy
Forest Park, GA 30297

(404) 366-3037

at one time he had built the fastest mod motor mustang cobra driven by Aaron Archer.

http://mustang50magazine.com/eventco...138_0309_arch/

Old 12-29-2005, 11:07 AM
#8 really isnt that hard to do at all. Bank 2 has all of the plugs angled forward and really doesnt take much if any extra time at all.

Scott

Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Regardless of where you go, if they say the head has to be pulled then you went to the wrong incompetent shop. I wish I was there with you. We could get it done in a couple hours and it would only cost you about $10.00 for the insert since I already have the install kit.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Shorty
Regardless of where you go, if they say the head has to be pulled then you went to the wrong incompetent shop. I wish I was there with you. We could get it done in a couple hours and it would only cost you about $10.00 for the insert since I already have the install kit.
Wouldn't a round trip plane ticket be cheaper for Rayden's cloud to fly you in, than to pay shop labor on an insert job? Hehehe, don't forget your tool.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Disintegr8or
Wouldn't a round trip plane ticket be cheaper for Rayden's cloud to fly you in, than to pay shop labor on an insert job? Hehehe, don't forget your tool.
Great suggestion and appropriate timing since it is the holiday. I have a better, cheaper, course of action:
-I loan Rayden the install kit and ship it to him via any means/time neccessary. He reimburses me at a later date.
-He orders a couple of inserts from TimeSert.
-He gets together with a couple of local L brothers and they install the insert. Even better they pull the SC and IC for cleaning, install the insert, recheck all the other plugs.
-Rayden serves up burgers and beers.

If it was me, I am sure the MILOC guys would help me out. They are just that way. Standing by. R/S Shorty.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks a lot everyone for the replies.. I've been driving my truck back and forth to work a couple of days and drove my wifes car today.. It's driving ok but I can tell it's not firing on all 8 cyls and i'm staying out of the boost.. It's just bugging me driving on eggshells b/c of the number 8 plug and the fact I did it myself scares me a little.. Truck idles fine, no misses or exhaust leak sounds yet! . I'm sure after some time it will start to back out of the head soon .. I'll try Mike at No limit to see what he says but like you say he's very busy all the time..

Other than that I wouldn't mind paying a round trip ticket for Shorty to Atlanta.. It sure would beat paying the price of pulling the head off.. Unfortunately I don't know many L brothers here in Georgia that would be willing to help me out like that.. It's good to know that there are people in the L community out there that would be glad to help like you guys.. Thanks a lot!! Tommorrow after work I'm going to check out a few shops for prices and i'll let you all know how it goes.. Mike really doesn't like to tangle around with L's but i'll ask him anyway ..

Hey JohnEagle, what color is your truck.. I know a guy with a red L that took his L to Mike to have an insert done and it was around that time also..

Thanks everyone

Old 12-30-2005, 05:55 AM
Did you have any luck getting plug out yet?
Have you removed blower and managed to get a look see?

Will be interested to see the result.

You can allways fly me over and would give you a hand to fix it.
have tool kit - will travel

Do I need to pack my shorts & sunglasses???

Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Hey RC

Did you get my e-mail and try RWTD and USA Hooters ?
Were they NOT able to help or at least steer you in the right direction ???

Be careful driving it Bro, you know if it launches it sometimes takes a piece of the head with it, not to mention the coil pack, sometimes the fuel rail, and some Brothers have even been left with needed hood repairs.

I would start by asking for the correct part # on the Time-Sert and ordering it, hopefully someone local will pop in and help you out, if not have you considered asking the Dealership if they have any experience in doing a timesert and how much to do 1 ??? You can start by checking all your local Ford Dealerships, Mercury dealerships, and even Lincoln dealerships,
(remember it's Ford Lincoln Mercury and they all use the 5.4 ; o )

I'm coming to GA for a week late in Feb but thats still 2 mo's away, although I've never done it if it happen to me I would tackle the job myself if need be.
What people are telling you is if you remove the Supercharger it will give you
A LOT more room and actually make the job fairly easy to do. The SC removal truly is a very easy and straight foward job, can be done in a half hour no prob. Once you get the timesert installed, within an hour or so you'll be running again

Very old pic (dont mind the purple thats long gone)

but as you can see even with the lower manifold and intercooler still installed, hence only the SC and Upper removed, there is still a ton of room for you to get in there and do your thing. Honestly the entire job from start to finish could be done in a few hours no problem, give it 4 or so for being the first time and it's still not something you shouldnt consider doing.

Keep us informed and good luck my Brother ....

Old 12-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Well I got some good info today.. I stopped by a shop today called "No limit racing" where I use to take my LX coupe to get work done.. The owner there told me he could do it for 150 bucks on tuesday.. I got a little spooked when he asked what cyclinder it was on b/c I thought he would have to remove the head.. I told him the far back driver's side and he said "well at least it's the driver's side b/c the passenger is a B!tch". Actually I asked him if he was going to helicoil the head. He feels that timeserts are better and thats what most of his Race engines come with. So he's going to knock it out tuesday for me..

Hey Ricki I think England would be a far stretch for a plane ticket buddy!. I could probably get a Heads cam package on my truck for what i'd pay for your round trip ticket Thanks for the offer I really appreciate it.. Yeah I still haven't had a chance to look at it to see whats going on.. When he does the insert i'll take my digital camera with me and snap some shots of the hole and the plug when he takes it out..

Rob, thanks a lot for all your help.. I never recieved the email, I looked at my PM and saw nothing.. Did you send it to my aol address? My truck as been down on power for a looong time so i'm hoping that spark plug is the problem.. Apparently it's been in the truck a while and probably fouled out b/c my throttle response sucks.. You've seen all my power loss post. I've done about everything from chaning my fuel filter, seafoam, cleaning the intercooler, changing EGR componets to blower belts.. I've been taking it easy in my truck by staying out of the boost.. I'm in the process now of looking for a beater b/c I can't go through this again.. This is my only transportation so I hope i'll be ok until tuesday.. I'll recheck the tightness of all plugs tommorrow to make sure none have started backing out..

I'll post some pics tuesday after the insert is done

Last edited by Rayden's cloud; 12-30-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 AM
Are well at least you may have it sorted, will be interesting to see how the guy gets the old plug out cos you could not remove it ??

It might be worth asking him to do a compression test on the motor and pay attention to number 8 result, I know it's extra $$ but you may feel better when you nail it down to the floor if all is well..............

Good luck and will look out for your results & photo.
Enjoy the New Year & all the best for 2006

Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 AM
My lightning spat a plug as well but I pulled the head myslef and brought it to a machin shop and put the BIG-SERT in all 4 holes. So problems since.

Quick Reply: any good shops in Ga that can do timeinserts?