Lightning

Belltech install and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Belltech install and thoughts

Hey guys, just put in a set of the Belltech Drop shackles. I did a search and came up with part number 6400, which is what I ordered. When they came in my buddy who ordered them at his speed shop asked me if I was sure they were right because they were listed for a Chevy . I just put them in and while it wasn't a very hard job, it was not fun. If you'e not using a lift, some jack stands and TWO hydraulic jacks make the job easier. I compared the new shackles to the stockers, and it seemed that one set of holes was a 1 1/2 drop and the other set was about 2 3/4. I opted to use the shorter set as I thought an almost 3 inch drop would make the back sit lower than the front. I just have a few questions for those who've done this:

1. If you used the Belltechs, did you use part number 6400?

2. If you used the 6400s, which holes did you use, and how did the truck sit afterwards?

3. I went from my 99 to my 01, and the 01 stock sits like a 16 year olds Camaro with the Gabriel Hi-Jackers pumped to the max, even with the spare and hitch on. My 99 didn't sit this high in the back. Did anyone else notice how much higher the 01s sit in the back than the 99-00s?

Also, I'll be installed our PSP Caltracs, so for those who want to know if the Caltracs work with the drop shackles, I'll have an answer for you very soon. I also noticed with the drop shackles, that the driveshaft pinion angle was straightened out more, so that should cut down on rear U-joint stress on hard lauches.

Old 07-14-2001, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part number 6400 is listed in belltechs catalog to fit both Ford & GM go figure,

I used the top hole on the shackles and it seemed to level out my 01

Oscar,

Old 07-14-2001, 04:43 PM
I installed the belltech 6400 last week. It took me about 1/2 to 1 hour start to finish. I used the top hole and it lowered my '01 exactly 1 inch. I measured before and after. I have a few pics in the f150 photo gallery under my name. All the truck pictures are without the drop installed.
I ordered the Caltrac bars from you guys a couple of weeks ago, they came this afternoon so I won't be able to install them until next week sometime. It looks like there won't be a problem.

Old 07-14-2001, 05:07 PM
Hey Sal, I had checked into the shackles before hand and looked to see if the GM ones would work, but as the other said, Bell Tech has them listed as the same part #. And yes the 99/00s did sit much lower than my 01. My friend's 99 looked like it had a 3/4 drop compared to mine, both in stock form. Mine now sits level.

Old 07-14-2001, 05:09 PM
Hi Sal,

I am looking into doing this on my truck and am very interested in this thread.

I do not want to lower the front as I barely clear when backing out of my driveway. But to lower the back a couple of inches would be just about right.

Does doing this cause any payload loss?

Also Sal let us know how she handles and launches with having done the lowering.

I also just put up a post about the chip you did for me, Man I love it.

Thanks
Paul

Old 07-14-2001, 06:07 PM
Before Drop

After Drop

Old 07-14-2001, 07:53 PM
I don't know if it is just my imagination, but my 2001 does not seem to sit as high in the rear as some others.

Does mine look lower in the rear that any of your 2001's?

Old 07-14-2001, 08:23 PM
Just finished the install of the shackles and Cal-tracs. The Cal-tracs DO fit with the shackles installed, and seem to operate fine. As I stated earlier, I used the second set of holes, not the top, so I'm going to drive the truck for a few days, let the springs settle and see how she sits. It looks even now, but if it raises up a bit (I took the spare and hitch off too) I'll try the top holes.

Oh, and if I ever get my hands on the guy who created the frame wax Ford is using on thier vehicles, I am going to friggen drown him in a vat of it!!

Old 07-14-2001, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by LightningTuner

Oh, and if I ever get my hands on the guy who created the frame wax Ford is using on thier vehicles, I am going to friggen drown him in a vat of it!!
LMAO

Old 07-15-2001, 09:22 AM
Don C,

I just gotta say that is a cool looking picture!!!

Old 07-15-2001, 02:42 PM
Well, I drove the truck for bit today, and after carefully looking at the new stance in many parking lots, I decided that the truck still sat higher in the back. So I moved the springs to the top most holes, which is what everyone seemed to be using anyway, and she looks great! Also, it's kind of funny when you first drive it after installing the shackles, because you can actually "feel" the new angle of how the truck sits while driving

Old 07-15-2001, 03:06 PM
Thumbs up

Sal,

You should tranfer the weight a lot better now. I did a 2" drop on the rear of a Shelby Dakota I use to own and it made all the difference in the world coming out of the hole.

Between lowering the rear and the Cal-tracs you should really be able to tell the difference. Let us know how it hooks.

Old 07-15-2001, 04:04 PM
Chuck, it will be interesting to see how it hook compared to my 99. I didn't have the drop on the 99, because it sat normal stock. But I never had any problems hooking up the 99. I was running 1.79 60fts with just the Caltracs, ET streets and no front sway bar. That was without juice or converter. I can only hope the 01 will hook up just as good

Quick Reply: Belltech install and thoughts