Lightning

Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint Question

I live in CA where it is illegal to have your two front windows tinted over a certain percentage. But my uncle told me that there is some kind of liscnese or permit or something you can get to have them tinted as much as possible. Like for privacy. Is this true? If so you probly need a good excuse. My exuse will be, "I have over $4000 worth of stereo equpment that is easiley removeable!"
Anyone know!

Old 01-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Thumbs up I've had mine for 2 years.

But that's hear in Ohio. I actually had to sign a waiver when I got mine done stating that I knew mine were illegal. So far I haven't had any problems with police about them. So far so good.

Bob

Old 01-08-2002, 07:20 PM
I have a Friend that is allergic to the sun and she has 95% tint to her jetta. I have 55% tint on my for a while now. They usually don't hassle you with the tint unless they are looking for something to pull you over with.

Wheeler

Old 01-08-2002, 07:30 PM
...or go see an eye doctor.

If you're good friends with an Eye Doc, you can get a perscription for tinted windows.

Old 01-08-2002, 07:54 PM
DB
In CA it's illegal to have ANY tint that's not from the factory on the front door windows or windshield, not that it's adhered to by many people. That being said you may or may not get pulled for it, depending on how much the local police care about such matters.

You can only get the front tint legally by having a doctor sign off on some sort of medical condition that prevents you from getting too much sun, such as an eye or skin condition.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:12 PM
My note reads...
"To whom it may concern, Due to severe dry ryr syndrome and photobia, Justin would benefit from a tint on his car windows."

My friend worked at an eye doctors office for a little while, and took a few notes. I have never gotten pulled over for my tint, but it is also not really dark. On my firebird, it is 35%.

Wheeler 88,
when you say 95%, do you mean limmo? Cause around here we call limmo 5%, so mine in your terms would be 65% i guess?

Old 01-08-2002, 08:22 PM
this is hearsay so i don't know if it is true...

i was told that you can have your windows as dark as you want if you can prove that you transport money. but i am not sure....i didn't research it at all, so it could be a load of *****.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:26 PM
CrazyFoo
I don't know about limo tint for her. She says that it is 95% One thing that I do know is that you cannot see anyone from the outside and the only area that isn't tinted is were she looks at the side mirrors.

And for myself the tinter said that it was "mid tint" what ever that means? And that it was 55% dark. Don't know what he mint by that. But there you go

See Ya
Wheeler

Old 01-08-2002, 08:34 PM
wheeler,
ya if you cant see through easily, and she aid it is 95%, than is must be Limmo.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Most tint "darkness" is measured as a percentage of light that passes through it. The lower the number, the less light that goes through and the darker the tint.

35% - legal limit in Oregon/Florida
20% - slightly darker
5% and lower - limo tint

Last edited by FlashSVT; 01-08-2002 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:02 PM
looks like im making an appoitment at my doctors office

Old 01-08-2002, 09:10 PM
tint them however you feel you need to. the law here in IN. IS 35% i have been tinting windows for 9 years,and have never had to remove any it seems to me if you do not draw attention to yourself they do not care. i also tinted the police chiefs car at 20%so if they pull me over for this you can bet we will have some words.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:10 PM
let me know if you can get a legit (spelling?) note. My note is fake. A kid I know, his sister works in an eye doctor's office, and she gave him a note. He sent it into the seceratary of state, and they sent him back a piece of paper, that no cop could give him any trouble about. So he can now legally have his windows tinted. But I do not want to get into trouble with the law on this, so I would want a legit note before sendin it in.

Old 01-08-2002, 10:58 PM
I have had countless violations with my tinted windows. I live here in PA. My local police LOVE to bust my ***** about my tint on my truck and mustang. One night 4.30 in the morning local cop pulled me over in my cobra for tinted windows. Now i dont know about everyone in here but 4 30 in the morning getting pulled over for window tint is total bullsh*t. And i let him know that. what started as a 5 day warning to remove the tint turned into 650.00$ worth of tickets. Tint, exhaust to loud, headlight covers when his pen finally ran out of ink he gave me the tickets and I told him that he was a total a**hole, to go f himself and i would see him in court. He laughed and said the judge was going to throw the book at me. Well my court date came and i explaned to the judge exactly what happened. I told him i barely ever drive the car which is true and is used mostly for show only. I did also explain that in PA window tint is not part of state inspection. And how can i be cited for something that i signed a sticker stating that is it safe and legal for the road. To make a long story short the judge threw out all charges. 3 months later same cop pulls me over in my cobra for window tint.. but refuses to write me a ticket ??? figure that out. So i think that tinted windows is cool but be prepared for some a**hole cop to ruin your day .

Old 01-08-2002, 11:10 PM
I have been pulled over many times for tinted windows. The last time I got pulled over the cops windows where darker than mine. He said it was for his protection. I was like what about my protection. They are the law so they are above it I guess.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question