Lightning

Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I get a note from my doctor saying that I need to stay out of the sun so it is neccesary for me to have tinted windows, who would I bring that note to? The DMV, the police department??

Old 01-09-2002, 08:31 AM
I live in mass and had tint on my old Taurus.. the bastards actually took out a meter and checked the % of my tint when I got an inspection. It wasnt very dark tint so I was fine.

I have not gotten it on my L yet, but I know an inspection shop now that I can get away with stuff

Old 01-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I live in Illinois I have my windows tinted it is illegal. I got stopped once with a verbal warning. Let me say this if you drink and drive dont get your windows tinted. You are setting your self up for big problems. Bob.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Even the 35% thing in Florida isn't safe.....

If you have 35% tint, but have a reflective type tint, you will still get a ticket.....It is illegal to have any reflective material on your windows. I had 35% neutral-reflective smoke tint on my Accord, and after a ticket, I took the bastard to court. He won based on this argument, and I had to pay an extra $30 of court costs in addition to the $44 ticket for the tints.........I WAS PISSED!!!

So screw it........On the L, I got 5% Limo tints all around, including the back window(s). I guess that would make the back window tint .75% if in fact it's already a 15% from the factory.......slide the rear window to one side and u temporarily have a .00562% window tint...........kinda dark huh........OK, enough math for today!!!

JC

Old 01-09-2002, 12:33 PM
An easy way around getting a ticket is to layer your tint, my buddy did this on his old eclipse. He tinted the windows as dark as was legal then got another layer of tint over it but stopped it short about an inch or more below the top of the window so when the cop put the tester over the top of the window it showed up as legal. Needless to say the cop was pissed but couldnt give him a ticket. Hope this helps. Thinking about doin it on my Lightning.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:58 PM
Well, im calling the DMV tomorrow. Goin to see what I have to do to get a legal tint. Who else should I call, the local popo dept.?? Any cops help?

thanks

Old 01-09-2002, 09:09 PM
in collierville tn where i used to live a cop told me that they had a card that they can place anywehre on the window and they must be able to read special writing on it for it to be legal. just my jibber jabber.

Old 01-09-2002, 09:17 PM
cal
Being in the military I used to be out in Ca and the cops out there are tough on tint. If I remember right you can get as dark as limo on all but the driver and passenger windows and nothing at all is legal on the driver and passenger windows. my truck was registered out of state and i still got a ticket for the tint on the driver and passenger windows. I tried to fight it in court and tried to bring up the fact that if i tinted to Ca laws the second I crossed the state line going home i would have an illegal tent the judge didnt buy it he said you live here so you have to go by our laws.

Old 01-09-2002, 09:21 PM
but if i get a note from the doctor i might be able to get an ok from the DMV then the cops cant do anything about it.

Old 01-09-2002, 10:05 PM
I live in Sacramento, where the usual CA tinting laws apply. I got pulled over 2 months after I put 15% on the front windows of my black L. The guy was ok about it. $10 fix it ticket was all. Well 2 days later I was driving to school after getting the initial ticket, (with my windows rolled down), and another cop pulls me over with no other reason, than to ask me to roll up my windows. Then he cites me, and I tell him that I got a fix it ticket 2 days ago, and I have an appointment to pell them on the weekend. (all true). He gives me another fix it ticket and says that if I really got one, this one would go away. Well I went to the court clerk to check up on my ticket status this last weekend, and the clerk tells me this: #1: The tinting law is no longer fixable, it is a direct $97 fine, even though the cops say otherwise. #2: Since I got 2 tickets, one does not go away like the cop told me, I now have to pay the $97 fine TWICE. To make a long story short, I'm going to court next week intent on paying nothing at all, because both cops told me otherwise. Wish me luck...God I hate that tinting law, it's useless.

Old 01-09-2002, 11:54 PM
I dont know what the DMV is, but my friend sent his note to the Seceratary of State Office.

Old 01-10-2002, 01:08 AM
DMV= Department of motor vehicles. Its where you get you go to get your liscense, or register your car. How would I find the adress of the Secretary of State?? And what exactly would I send to him/her??

Old 01-10-2002, 01:12 AM
i have 5% on my navigator and they have never said anything to me.
i passed 2 cops the other day and just knew that they were going to stop me for it.

it is a big thing around here.
$240 fine.

however i can easily get a doctors note saying i cannot see in direct sunlight

And you would take that not to the judge.

Old 01-10-2002, 10:20 AM
I guess the DMV is the same as the Seceratary of State. That is where I go for registration and what not...

Old 01-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Heres the web site:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
maybe that will tell you a little more about what they do. i thought every state had a DMV though. guess not

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question