Lightning

Factory Tech and Mobil ATF

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Tech and Mobil ATF

I recently installed your valve body in the 4R100 I got through Sal. I have notice you recommend Mercon and state that the Tranny in the 01 ? or all 4R100's are not compatable with the Mobil ATF . Did I understand your statements or am I confused.
The Mobil ATF info on each quart states it has been approved by Ford Motor Corp. for use in all Ford Trannies that require the Mercon ATF. I was hesitant to use the Mobil ATF but did. The shop Tranny mechanic were I have work done said the synthetic ATF tends to leave a dark stain in the box. He also mention that Ford may void the warranty. If Mobil ATF is not compatible with All Ford Trannies that require the Mercon, Why would ExxonMobil state Ford approves Thier ATF for use in Fords.
Is it too slick in your estimation or could you be more specific as to why you say stick with the Mercon. My understanding is the synthetics are more durable and resist heat breakdown. Plus most say the shift characteristics are improved.
By the way Your valve body puts a grin on My face. Thanks for Thoughts.......

Last edited by Twisted99; 12-26-2001 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Good Question; I will be interested in the response.

Old 12-26-2001, 11:48 AM
FWIW - I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic since 1k miles - I now have 14k with ZERO problems. My L has made over 100 1/4 mile passes with approx. 20 of them in the 11 second range. I don't know if the Mobil had anything to do with my tranny being problem free but I am a believer in it either way!

Old 12-26-2001, 12:34 PM
Twisted: I'm very interested too. I have also wondered/considered whether to use a Redline ATF because I believe the synthetics are so superior. Hope Factory Tech gives his knowledgeable comments--in detail.

Also, if you have a lube service do the 'change', will you get the filter changed too? And, I didn't understand your "dark stain in the box" comment.

Dan

Old 12-26-2001, 12:54 PM
Talking Let's hear your opinion Gregg

I can't wait for this answer as well. I went out Christmas Eve and got some Valvoline Dexron III Mercon to do my PSP valve body/trans pan swap. I was leaning towards changing to synthetic (for reasons listed above) but just decided to stay with what Ford recommends.

---Joe

Old 12-26-2001, 03:41 PM
The dark stain was the coloration of the insides.

THe Mobil 1 ATFis a race proven 100% synthetic**except carrier oil** automatic transmission fluid that "outperforms" all conventional type ATF fluids and meets DEXRON-3 and MERCON requirments....
They state "Mercon qualified by Ford for use in 1988 and later Fords or where Type CJ or type H is required. Also qualified for all cars and trucks specifying Mercon.

"Compatible with conventional ATF fluids."

Last edited by Twisted99; 12-26-2001 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:43 PM
FYI
I you do decide to change to synthetic be sure to drain the converter also. Most of the trans fluid is traped in the T/C. May take a couple of changes to completely fluch the Mercon out.

Old 12-26-2001, 03:51 PM
Mine took 15 quarts...with a new 4x4 pan and filter....think the manual says 15.9 qts. 4x4 pan should require about 40 more ounces....got most or it I guess...

Old 12-26-2001, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Twisted99
Mine took 15 quarts...with a new 4x4 pan and filter....think the manual says 15.9 qts. 4x4 pan should require about 40 more ounces....got most or it I guess...
Twisted: Did you do the 'chande' yourself or have a 'Jiffy Lube' do it?

Dan

Old 12-26-2001, 08:02 PM
I did a tranny service in a 98 ranger, it called for Mercon 5 trans oil. I went to ford and they said it was a synthetic trans oil, the price was about $4.50 a quart from ford. My 97 F-150 with the 4r100 trans also had synthetic. I changed my fluid at every 15K, and it was always as red as the day I put it in. I ran an 11psi powerdyne and a shift kit and never had a problem with the trans. I also used to work in a quarry that had mostly F series pickup trucks as service vehicles. Every trans had the mobil 1 ATF. They had very few failures. I am a true believer and never did believe it until I saw it and researched it. If it calls for Mercon 5, use synthetic. Heat is the number one cause of trans failure. Synthetics can withstand higher temps before the fluid breaks down. There is also an additive called Lube Gaurd that works extremley well when using regular ATF. It greatly increases the temp. at which the ATF fluid begins to break down. Hope this info helps.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:12 PM
LIGHTNINROD

Yes I did the tranny fluid change and the valve body install....It ain't hard....However I did hear that Ford has stopped putting the drain plug in converters ..as of this fall I believe..luckily mine had the plug in it.

Yes the tranny fluid I drained looked like new..I have 23000 on
the truck now.

I also had 50000 on the Black 99. Never changed the fluid and ran a PSP chip to eliminate the torque reduction and up the line pressure. Never had any problems with the tranny except it did set one code....2-3 shift error...or something like that...I also tried a plug in module in the tranny harness...The eliminator I think it was called..it set a code everytime after wiping the memory. Irritated me more than anything..It sits on the shelf.

Last edited by Twisted99; 12-26-2001 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I am being mis-quoted, or misunderstood, it's perfectly okay to use synthetic if, and only if, it meets MERCON specs, what I think was misunderstood is that I've said NOT TO USE MERCON V, because it's not compatible with MERCON. I don't know that MERCON V is okay if you have a new build, but I do know that when we started building the 4R70W and 5R55N trannies that use MERCON V a lot of trouble was gone to to make a seperate system to use two differnt fluids when if they were interchangeable I don't think they would have bothered. The manual has in big bold italized underscored letters to not mix them and use only MERCON in a 4R100, if the Mobil ATF is MERCON compatible I don't think it will hurt anything.

Hope this helps,

G

Old 12-27-2001, 09:21 PM
Thanks FT..glad it worked out that way.

Old 12-29-2001, 06:39 AM
Howdy ALL,

If memory serves me right.

Mercon V is a semi synthetic based trans fluid with a friction modifier added to reduce torque converter shudder. If your dipstick specifies Mercon you can use Mercon V after a complete drain and refill (pan and converter).

If your dipstick specifies Mercon V DO NOT USE MERCON trans fluid they are not compatable. This is due to the make up of Mercon V ie friction modifier, etc.

I just checked Mobils website,

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/Mo...b?OpenDocument

although I would have to look at an actual bottle of their tranny fluid, as this may have changed Looking at the website and from a phone conversation with their tech in April 2001. At that time they did make any fully synthetic trans fluid that meets Mercon V specs.

When I changed my tranny fluid, the only one I found locally that meet Mercon V specs was Valvoline Dura Blend

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...t=1&flash=true

Last edited by LoNE WoLF; 12-29-2001 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by LoNE WoLF

If memory serves me right.

Mercon V is a semi synthetic based trans fluid with a friction modifier added to reduce torque converter shudder. If your dipstick specifies Mercon you can use Mercon V after a complete drain and refill (pan and converter).
Your memory is off just a little.

You cannot use MERCON V in a 4R100 or an E4OD. Those transmissions do not like MERCON V.

Mark

Quick Reply: Factory Tech and Mobil ATF