Lightning

Got stopped because of tinted windows.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got stopped because of tinted windows.

Had my side windows tinted over the weekend.With a medium tint. 6 am this morning going to work cop coming oppisite directon passes me and pull a U turn kinda figured he wanted me. I was right.He says tinted windows are Illegal in Illinois.I played dumb and said that's the way I bought the truck. HeHeHeHe.He just gave me a verbal warning.Be careful when driving through Lagrange Park, Il. Bob

Old 04-18-2001, 10:12 PM
Banned
Doesn't sound like much has changed in up that way. As I recall, about the only thing that wasn't illegal up there are taxes.

You taking the tint off or living on the edge?

------------------
Rick
SVT Performance
Moderator 2nd Gen Lightnings

White 00 #2236 of 4966
My Mods & Web Page

<A HREF="http://a1060.g.akamai.net/f/1060/597/30minutes/www.zing.com/picture/p0903ca5788ed2e743923d60b1a060fed/feb8b2de.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>

Old 04-18-2001, 11:14 PM
I've already gotten 2 tickets for my tint. I just leave the windows down now. Atleast, they never notice that the windshield is tinted.

------------------
2000 White Lightning
PSP 4Way Chip
PSP Filter Kit

Old 04-19-2001, 04:28 AM
Suspended For Rules Violations
Hey Rhino, what tint did you put on the windshield?? I was thinking about taking the stock tint up top and bringing it all the way down.

------------------
-Marcus M.
Email-SnakEyez60@aol.com
Black 2001 recieved 2/10/01. Pictures at: Photo Album
Moderator:BLackBoLT01 www.svtperformance.com

Old 04-19-2001, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rhino00:
I've already gotten 2 tickets for my tint. I just leave the windows down now. Atleast, they never notice that the windshield is tinted.
</font>
What good is the tinting if your windows are always down?

Just wondering...

------------------
Regards,
George
george@spikeengineering.com
http://www.spikeengineering.com
---------
Red 2000 Lightning, #4033

White 1996 Whippet (600 yard course, 6 turns: 40 Seconds)
Red Wheaton 1995 Ridgeback (1/2 loaf of bread, 6 bites, 4 seconds)
New addition:
2001 RR Puppy: 0 to stumble - next two months

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 05-14-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2001, 10:42 AM
Looks better when there up.

I got to say that I have never got a ticket for that yet, but next time roll your windows down and don't roll them up if he ask you to. They need a search warrent to make you roll up your windows. He might get pissed but if thats all he's pulling you over for, then go for it.

------------------

Built 5/4/99
# 917 of 4000
P.S. I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2001, 01:41 PM
Question

Whenever I get pulled over I lower both of my windows (they're tinted) and turn on the dome light so that the officer dosn't have to play any guessing games with me...am I waisting my time or is this a good thing?

Daniel

Old 04-19-2001, 03:18 PM
Maybe its different in your state, but in my town police cannot make you roll up your windows. Maybe if you have drugs or something else in the car, but tinted windows would be the last thing on my mind with drugs. This is from the mouth of one my close friends who's been a will county sheriff for the past 15 years and he says that the police cannot make you roll up your windows when they suspect that you have tinted windows. What are they going to do, reach in my truck and roll up my window.

------------------

Built 5/4/99
# 917 of 4000
P.S. I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by RTKILLA (edited 04-19-2001).]

Old 04-19-2001, 03:37 PM
thepawn-

keep your hands where the officer can see them and don't make a sudden movements and you will not be considered a threat to the officer. but if you make any movement that could be considered threatening, don't be surprised if you are staring down the barrel of the officer's gun. if he asks you to get your registration and it's in the glove box, tell him it's in the glovebox and then get it out. no big deal. more light is always good. and rolling down the window is always a good idea. nothing dumber than having to stand there at a window while some fool takes forever to wind down the window while you stand there waiting (although it does give more time for a visual inspection of the interior of the vehicle--unless the windows are tinted).

rtkilla-

i sure hope you have some specific case law there in IL, because supreme court case law is very specific on this issue. maybe you have a local policy that applies to your sheriff friend. but that doesn't supersede the law and case law relevant. in every state (and i'm willing to wager a wad a cash that IL is included in this) a search warrant is not needed to search a vehicle. and if i pull you over for tinted windows, darn right i'm going to tell you to roll the window up partway so I can measure the light transmission properties of your side window. if you don't like it then you can sit in the back of my car with the handcuffs on. one of the few things i don't mess around with. that and DUI. they're both dangerous. a DUI driver is dangerous to himself and others. a window tint is dangerous to the officer. it's too bad that a minority of people who do fool things like shoot at cops on traffic stops (in my opinion it's usually the gang bangers although i don't have any stats to back up that opinion) ruin it for everyone else. but until the danger of traffic stops is gone, i'll keep on getting ticked at tinted windows. i want to go home to my wife and kid each day....

thanks.

[This message has been edited by quickdraw (edited 04-19-2001).]

Old 04-19-2001, 04:10 PM
RT
You're missing the point...All you are going to do by refusing to roll them up is **** off the cop standing next to your truck. In turn, giving him a reason to find something else wrong. I put my window on the my side down and keep my hands on the steering wheel. If I have my .38 with me I also lay it on the seat and advise the officer I have a locked and loaded firearm. It's only happened once, but my concealed weapons license is only good in Boulder county so on the seat they don't hassle too much. My tint isn't that dark but I have a tendency to be pulled over at night.
CA

Old 04-19-2001, 05:31 PM
Quickdraw, are you absolutely positive about searching vehicles without the permission of the driver/owner in every case?

Reason I ask is that I am not sure the Courts have always approved of basically "unreasonable" searches.

For example, if you stop somebody for a broken tail light only, why would it be considerable reasonable to search the vehicle for weapons, booze or contraband? Where is the probably cause? This is without consent of the driver, providing you even asked.

Just curious, not flaming. Not sure what the procedure is nowadays. Have not be pulled over in 24 years. But I have been following some Supreme Court rulings. Just cannot remember everything they ruled on. Quite a legal thicket out there.

Old 04-19-2001, 05:54 PM
I'm just telling you what I've been told by my frined. Basically he said if I get pulled over and a cop ask me to roll up my windows to check out the tint, don't roll them up. he said they can't make me.

Trust me I'm no one to play around with cops either, I can't stand 99% of them becasue they just a$$holes and they like to mess with kids, becasue there kids. Not all kids are bad and out to casue trouble at night, but for some reason most think they are.

Nothing against you, you seem like a great guy, and I do know cops that are understanding and nice.

Old 04-19-2001, 05:57 PM
Talking

A cop has to have probable cause in order to search anyones vehicle. If a cop arrests you for not putting your windows up..in most cases you can get it easily dismissed by an attorney. Cops try to make it sound like they can do whatever they want, but if you have a good attorney and cash..you can make them feel way less powerful. Yeah you might got to jail and get your vehicle impounded, but if the case is dismissed...you get your money back for the impound, dont have to pay court, and get your bail back. Yeah you have to pay an attorney but..trust me its makes the cop think twice about harassing you. Im not flaming on you quickdraw...im just voicing my own opinion...theres good and bad cops, but where i live its an every day bad cop thing for me. This is the only city ive ever experienced this police abuse. If you got a prob with a harassing cop, speak with his sup or go to internal affairs....if its bad enough sue him.

Old 04-19-2001, 06:05 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Quickdraw, why dont you sign up to be a fireman?

What I want to understand is why do police officers complain about the dangers of the job when they consiously signed up for it. I can understand if they were forced to.

To me it is very similar to those stuntmen that go over Niagra Falls in a barrel and tell everyone how they might die.

Alas, I will be getting my windows tinted to the legal limits. I will discuss whether or not I have to roll up my windows with the guiy that is sticking out his neck to serve the public the next time I get pulled over by Johnny Dangerous.

Do not take this the wrong way, Quickdraw.

Old 04-19-2001, 06:47 PM
sorry guys. maybe i was not very clear:

if i pull you over for windows that are tinted too dark, i have probable cause to search your car and windows. if i pull you over for a busted taillight, i have to have some other probable cause to search the car. locof150's got the right idea about probable cause (but not about attorneys). but the post that started this was being pulled over for the tinted windows (so that was the violation in my mind). if i have probable cause to believe that the windows are tinted, i can arrest you for the violation or i can do a little more detective work on my own (e.g. ask you to roll up your windows so i can really see and maybe avoid a ticket for you if they just looked too dark but really aren't) before i give you a ticket.

rtkilla-
yeah, i am a nice guy and give so many more warnings than citations it's not even funny. most cops aren't as nice as me. but i had a really good trainer who helped me to figure out it's better to let people "live and learn" than "hook 'em and book 'em". eveybody's happier that way: i do a good job, the offender gets a warning; sometimes I don't even call parents for the stupid things kids do.

tundra-
being a fireman isn't as easy as it sounds; they are tough hombres. but it's not my style. don't forget that i wasn't complaining about the danger level of being a cop. i merely stated it as a fact. and part of "doing my job" is minimizing the risks i take. i accept increased risk to myself as part of serving my community, but i'll be damned and dead if i don't minimize what risk i can. and i couldn't break my wife's heart like that (she made me promise not to get killed at work).

and yeah, no hard feelings and nobody's taking this the wrong way, right? it's all about intelligent discussions...

Quick Reply: Got stopped because of tinted windows.