Lightning

3.73 Gear Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2000, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.73 Gear Change

For anybody who had changed their gears to 3.73's

What other parts were needed in order to get the 3.73's installed?

Having trouble getting the dealership to install the 3.73 gears. No mention as to the reason only that it is not possible.

Help!

Old 07-05-2000, 08:59 PM
John

A dealership doesn't want to do it because of the warranty issue.

Go to a good shop that does rear ends only. This is what I am going to do.

Do you live near Ventura? There is a good shop there.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels,
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, 35% tint
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 07-05-2000, 08:59 PM
Sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 07-05-2000).]

Old 07-05-2000, 10:35 PM
JohnJr,
Had a speed shop install my 3.73's.
cost me $430 including the gears
there shouldnt be any extra parts needed except for diff. fluid
Shop said that it was easy to set up.
Not a bad mod,it is alot more fun on the street now!

Old 07-05-2000, 11:06 PM
Talking

Really shouldn't be a warrantee issue with the 3.73s, since they come right out of the parts catalog. I suspect your dealership does not want to do it because they don't have anyone competent enough to do it right. I was really surprised to find how much skill it takes to rebuild a rear end. Most dealerships do very little of this kind of work, and many of them farm the work out to a shop that specializes in it. My only question is how much will you actually gain by switching from the 3.55s to the 3.73s? Granted that it is probably an easier and cheaper swap than the 4.10s, but I think the latter give you a lot more bang for the buck.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, cam bolts, 4.10 gears
(soon, Swanson's chip and MAF, Cal-tracs)
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, Radar, and Sounder/DGPS chartplotter

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 07-05-2000, 11:06 PM
ZorPrime,
What kindda' difference are you seeing on the street? Just a "seat o the pants meter" difference,or is it something tangible? Curious cuz I may do the gear swap too,but I need info before such a step.

Hitman

Old 07-05-2000, 11:18 PM
I may be out in left field on this and please tell me if i am. Why isn't anybody just buying a different third member from a wrecked truck with the gears that they want? Is there some reason not to do that is there somthing unique about the axle in the Lightnings? I thought I heard that our axle was also used in the super duties and the excursions.

Old 07-06-2000, 12:10 AM
Thumbs up

JohnJr,
I recently have made the switch over to 3.73's,Be sure to purchase Ford Motorsport gears. You will need to order a new pinion nut, and pinion bearing. While I was in the rear, I took the liberty of also rebuiding the carrier,considering I have over 100 1/4 mile runs on it.She was in need of it, one other thing most dont know, I was told by a very well respected speed shop that our rears should have 2 bottles(8 oz.) of friction modifier added instead of the standard 4 oz. It would make sence considering we do hold more oil than say an 8.8

As far as the dealer, stay away from them idiots, if they cant handle a gear swap they should not be in business. I purchased the gears from Jeg's for 199. And there is no price difference between 3.73's and the 4.10's which are no longer in production.

Were they worth it, YES IMO

------------------
Spiro-TEAM PSP
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
------------------
Bassani catpipes
Bassani catback
Mickey Thompson E.T. Drag`s
Motorsport 3.73's
Level 10 Shift-kit
------------------
Cervini`s 3-inch Cowl Hood
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
External PhantomFuel pressure guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau

Best run to date
12.938 @105.88
Best 60` 1.84
Best m.p.h. 106.66

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

LAUNCH HARD

[This message has been edited by Spiro99SVT (edited 07-06-2000).]

Old 07-06-2000, 12:13 AM
Talking

Thanks for all the responses, Guys.

I wasn't sure if the gears needed other parts to be installed correctly in the truck.

I may just take the truck to another shop as recommended.

By the way, how did you get your speedo corrected to match the 3.73 gears?

Did you have to get an aftermarket chip?

Thanks,
JohnJr

Old 07-06-2000, 12:48 AM
I believe a chip is the only way

Old 07-06-2000, 12:55 AM
Hi, Spiro99SVT

Can you e-mail me at jrlitton@ix.netcom.com

I'd like to ask you some questions about the change if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2000, 12:58 AM
Question

Spiro, I was under the impression that the 3.73s were a stock Ford Expedition part, available through any Ford dealer? For this reason your dealer can program the EECU for the correct speedo readings, so you do not really need an additional chip (although without a chip your truck won't have many beans). I still think the hot set-up is the 4.10s, but then you need a chip. Of course I am talking street use here, with drag radials the effective ratio will be lower.

Old 07-06-2000, 01:26 AM
Your dealer probably backs away from it cuz it takes some talent to properly set-up a gearset -- where second-tries are expensive.

I work for a company that sells components that run so long that it has become less and less necessary for service repair facilities to have the staff on hand to fix them -- so we've gone to remanufacturing the components so that they can be swapped-out by much less talented (and less costly) help (it's cheaper on us for warranty -- and faster/better for the customer too -- does QFR sound familliar?).

I suspect that dealers would be ecstatic over the opportunity to 'ding' Fomoco for the replacement of an engine (did someone say 16 hours billable for that one?) -- where the chances of a 'come-back' are practically nil -- and surely the mechanics beat the flat-rate 16 hours by their usual 25-50% (if they're worth their salt). If I were a dealer and Ford handed me that credit card -- I'd be posting "Slappy Motors Replaced Here" adds everywhere -- and turn the lube-rack into an engine swap line ASAP.

To answer your question, front seal, adjustment collar (or whatever is used on the little Ford axles nowadays) - comes in a kit - and someone that understands that toe and heel aren't just for shoes.

It should be a no-brainer of a fix for a qualified dealer -- and I'll never understand why a repair facility would turn-away business -- sounds like yours is just a no-brainer of a dealer.

(Our advertizing guys have an internal joke about the stupidity of some retailers - characterized with the quote from the retailer that goes along the line of "We must tell 500 customers a day 'No, we don't sell Coke and Icecream here'" -- Duhh, does that sound like an opportunity for busuness to you too?)

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 07-06-2000, 06:34 AM
Thumbs up

JohnJr,
i can spin the wheels without a chip where as i couldnt do that stock.It raises the rpm's by like 150 i think,not much but enough to make a difference.It seems to move faster.With gears it changes where the horsepower shows up in the rpm curve.Sixpipes posted his dyno sheet here a while back and it shows the peak hp coming on before the 3.55's.I like my gears and would suggest them if you are in the market for it.May give me .1 in the 1/4 but i dont know yet im still experimenting at the track.

Old 07-07-2000, 12:36 AM
Question

Hi, ZORPRIME

Will I harm the transmission if I drive the truck with the 3.73 gears and not have the speedo or tranny recalibrated with a chip?

Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: 3.73 Gear Change