Pre-1997 Models

My new toy! 1973 F350 Dump

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added another Ford to my collection Friday. I have an outdoor wood boiler and burn allot of wood. There is a company down the street from me that makes railroad ties and they sell the ends before they get treated, but you have to have a dump truck. I finally found one and pulled the trigger. Its nothing special and needs a little TLC. It a 73 F350 camper special backed by a 390FE with a 4 speed and a 12ft dual ram dump bed. The bed is going to get cleaned up and painted and it needs a little bit of carb work and maybe some body work. Its a work truck so the body work might not be needed. The only thing the body needs is new fender brackets, the one side rusted out but that is no biggie. Its got a 2 barrel that seems to have some issues on the top end. Now im not sure if it just has bad gas but I put new in to see if it clears up. No rust on the bed floor or frame but there is some very small spots on the side but still very solid. Boy that is all I have been doing all weekend is driving it around burning fuel LOL. Nothing is better than driving these old trucks like this. I hate to say it but thats when trucks were built real tuff!. I will post more pics as I start to fix the small things and get it looking a little better Name:  20140221_165824_zpsedf65cd6.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  139.8 KB

Last edited by Bluejay; 02-24-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 AM

I think that's purdy damn cool. You aren't gonna tag and insure it, are you?

Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 AM
I will insure it but thats it. Its tagged now for a yr but when that runs out thats it. The plant is about 1/4 mile away. Im not worried about the cops out where I live, The time I have lived here which is about a yr and half I see a state cop once and he was at the business across the street picking somebody up. I at least want insurance just incase. I can handle getting busted with out of date tags and no inspection but getting caught without insurance and they will fry me...

Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 AM

I feel ya on that. I just figured you might run the risk cause of how close it is and how expensive insurance is. But I guess an extra vehicle with liability only can't cost TOO much.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 AM
No my insurance is pretty cheap. Im 30 now with a pretty clean driving record. I had a DUI awhile back but the insurance company never found out about it. I have full coverage on my truck and liability on my Hyundai and the total between those 2 comes out to just about $54 a month. Adding this truck will bring it up another $10, maybe...

Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Real Cool!
The guy who replaced my roof shingles a few months ago had a 1970 dump truck almost identical. They just use it to haul the old shingles to the dump. It saved him money compared to hiring waste industries to leave a dumpster in the yard. His personal truck was a 96 GMC 4x4 that had 272k miles. He said he liked it because he could work on it and had replaced almost everything on the truck but the engine. He said the rear gears disintegrated at one point. Bought it with 96k miles on it.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice score.

"Hate to say it"?!?

There is no question Ford stopped making real steel trucks after '79. While I've been spoiled with tuned turbo diesels, for sure not a better truck bolted together than '73-'79. Each body style after got a little bit less manly.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree that these yrs are the tuffest. All new makes and models especially in the salt belt states seem to have trouble with rust issues. There is some rust on this truck body wise but being thick good steel I dont see it getting much worse, well rot away as fast as say my 2001 would. I see body parts or readily available so I will work on that pc by pc. Im more worried about the the functions more than anything. I did pay a little more than what I thought it was worth and more than I really wanted to spend on one but it was the better choice I think. Allot of the better ones seemed to be 4+hrs away which would have killed me on fuel to haul them back. This one was about 20min from my house. Plus I had to have a ford. Most of the others I went to look at one being in mansfield pa were just complete trash for what they were asking for them. Cant wait to fill this badboy with a load of wood!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by F150redneck
No my insurance is pretty cheap. Im 30 now with a pretty clean driving record. I had a DUI awhile back but the insurance company never found out about it. I have full coverage on my truck and liability on my Hyundai and the total between those 2 comes out to just about $54 a month. Adding this truck will bring it up another $10, maybe...
How did they NOT find out?! What's the secret?

Mine is $2400 a year for full coverage on my one truck with zero accidents (that they know about; cash fix hides) and zero tickets. But I'm an "irresponsible, punk millennial that's an accident waiting to happen" so yay for me

Old 02-24-2014, 09:12 PM
The key is you dont say anything and you dont change anything on your policy and you keep paying the insurance DONT CHANGE ANYTHING lol! BUT if you had an accident thats a different story. but $2400 a yr is outragous! I coundnt imagine paying that LOL. Allot depends on your age to but if I were you I would browse around for different insurance!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by F150redneck
The key is you dont say anything and you dont change anything on your policy and you keep paying the insurance DONT CHANGE ANYTHING lol! BUT if you had an accident thats a different story. but $2400 a yr is outragous! I coundnt imagine paying that LOL. Allot depends on your age to but if I were you I would browse around for different insurance!
Mine is more expensive than anyone I know, but oh well.

That's interesting that they don't get alerted as soon as you're convicted.

Quick Reply: My new toy! 1973 F350 Dump