Pre-1997 Models

Hoping to stop "throwing parts" at it...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoping to stop "throwing parts" at it...

Hi all! another "new guy" here. I used to have a '94 4.9L XLT supercab, and just picked up a '95 5.8L Eddie Bauer supercab a couple weeks ago.

I got a decent deal, but not as good as I originally thought! (it happens).

Anyway, it currently has what seems to be a common "chugging" or stuttering problem. I've replaced the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, & coil - all of which seemed to have helped somewhat, but definitely not completely. First thing in the morning, it's barely noticeable through my entire drive to work (5 miles). Once the day warms up, along with the engine, it gets the chug when maintaining speed (not on coasting or acceleration).
There is an exhaust leak - not sure where yet, but will hopefully be fixed by next weekend. I don't think that's contributing to the chug.
When I went under to change the fuel filters, I found only one, and it was "scabbed" in with a couple hose clamps, and sections of rubber hose. Not sure when or why that was done, but it looks fairly recent. The previous owner got a little pissy (and blocked my e-mail address) after I (very nicely) asked him about it, and if he could provide me with any additional information.

So, considering pretty much *EVERYTHING* on this truck (other than the fuel filter) was original my plan of action was to get the exhaust leak fixed and start replacing stuff. (the shocks were even original).
But, after reading a few threads in here and other places, I've decided I might not want to go that route after all.

Did I have a question in there someplace?...

Well... any helpful hints? Suggestions? Warnings? Tips? Tricks? Ideas?

Thanks!!

LANCE

Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 PM
I would start with making sure the exhaust leak isnt anything to do with the egr valve, if the egr is no working properly it can coase a serging during normal driving conditions

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by sonomajo
I would start with making sure the exhaust leak isnt anything to do with the egr valve, if the egr is no working properly it can coase a serging during normal driving conditions
Thanks!!
It does appear to be original, and a tad rusty... That was actually the next part I was planning on throwing at it! Probably will on Saturday.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
OK, so far...

New Cap & Rotor
New Plugs
New Plug wires
New Ignition Coil
New EGR Valve
New EGR Tube (this was the source of a portion of the exhaust leak).

There's still an exhaust leak - at least by the sound of things - but it is quieter now that the broken EGR Tube has been replaced.
I tried running with the vacuum line disconnected from the EGR (suggested on another forum), and that didn't really help.

Each piece replaced has made it a little better than it was previously, but it's still chugging at the common 1300 - 2100 RPM range. It seems to be significantly worse when using the rear tank, and a little better when the tank being used is completely full.
I still need to check my vacuum lines @ the intake manifold, and still need to find the rest of the exhaust leak.

Any other ideas?

Can a fuel pump get "weak", or is it a work or doesn't situation?

Thanks again,
LANCE

Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Have you replaced the fuel filter?
Ahhh... the fuel filter. Did I forget to mention that?

When I went under to change the fuel filters, I found only one, and it was "scabbed" in with a couple hose clamps, and sections of rubber hose. Not sure when or why that was done, but it looks fairly recent. The previous owner got a little pissy (and blocked my e-mail address) after I (very nicely) asked him about it, and if he could provide me with any additional information.
Once I run the rear tank down a bit (in prep to drop it, and further troubleshoot the filter situation), I'm going to only run on the front tank, which is the one with the new (looking) fuel filter. I'm guessing it's a contributor, but I also have a feeling that it's (yet again) only part of the problem.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Have you pulled codes? If not do that and see if the EEC will help you diagnose the problem. That should be done first, always.

Read-up here: http://www.oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 AM
did you clean the passages when you did the egr? Carbon can build up and cause all kinds of issues (always fun to fix a car with a surge after 20 guys threw parts at it and use nothing but a pipe cleaner, and carb cleaner)

Old 05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
OK, here's an interesting turn of events...

I took it in to the shop today to have the exhaust leak fixed and the compression checked. Leak fix will be complete tomorrow - psgr side @ the exhaust manifold.

When they did the compression check, they said it was perfect. But, one of the plugs was bad/fouled. I saw the bad plug when I first changed them also.
What would cause a brand new plug to foul if compression to that cylinder is spot on?
When I pulled them initially after buying the truck, that plug was a bit oily, so I had some concern, but with the compression check coming back correct, I'm at a loss.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Leaky valve seals in that cylinder? That won't affect compression.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Is it the cylinder that gets the oil, if any, from PCV? Number 8 I think.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Check for codes!

1. Bad plug wire
2. New EGR valve could be bad out of the box (seen worse happen with new parts)
3. IAC valve dirty
4. FPR (do pressure check)
5. Bad fuel pump in rear tank
6. possible vac leak but unlikely without a high idle
7. TFI module

Quick Reply: Hoping to stop "throwing parts" at it...