Pre-1997 Models

1991 Tranmission Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Tranmission Help?

Hey All, I have a question for the tech guru's around here.

I have a 91 F150 with a 5.0 motor and sometype of Ford auto transmission. I am trying to determine what type of tranny it is and what year truck it came out of.

Now you all ask why would he not know this already? Well the truck has about 500K miles on it and this is the third tranny in it as far as I know. The previous owner had this one installed and called it a three box special, it showed up in three seperate boxes and they put it togther from that throwing out the extra parts they did not need.

Well, now I need to get some parts for it and don't know what what tranny to order the parts for. I have been in touch with the local dealer and they have not been able to tell me. The metal tag that is suppose to be on the tranny to identify it is long gone so all I have is a part number cast into the side of the unit reading this- F0TP-7006-CB. It has a 20 bolt pan on it and is stamped Metric on it.

Any help would be appricated.

Thanks, Shane

Old 10-31-2008, 12:23 PM
The 20 bolt pan means it's an E4OD but that doesn't help as much as you'd think since there were changes to the E4OD over the years. Most were internal but some involved the control pinouts where it connects to the powertrain harness. If your harness is unmodified then it's a 91 E4OD. If the harness has bee replaced or spliced then???

If you're going to rebuild most of the internals can and should be upgraded to the 95 configuration.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks

StrangeRanger thanks for the input.

I know the truck stock had an E40D because it is a Lariat trim level and it has the OD turn off switch on the dash. The problem arose when I went to get a replacement neutral safety switch. I had the dealer run the number off of the one I pulled off and it is discontinued along with the cross referenced part as well. So Ford says I can't even get parts for this thing anymore, WTF! So now I am just trying to figure what tranny it is and work from there.

Is there any other identifying marks that will lead me to what tranny it is?

Shane

Old 10-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kilroy1
throwing out the extra parts they did not need.
well that doesnt sound like a very professionally built tranny. i'd actually have the whole thing rebuilt with a firmer shift or get a brand new one. that way its got all the updates and its all new internally and it should last alot longer. but like i said thats what i would do.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kilroy1
StrangeRanger thanks for the input.

I know the truck stock had an E40D because it is a Lariat trim level and it has the OD turn off switch on the dash. The problem arose when I went to get a replacement neutral safety switch. I had the dealer run the number off of the one I pulled off and it is discontinued along with the cross referenced part as well. So Ford says I can't even get parts for this thing anymore, WTF! So now I am just trying to figure what tranny it is and work from there.

Is there any other identifying marks that will lead me to what tranny it is?

Shane
It's a 1991, not a 1901! The local "Pick your Part salvage yard" around here would easily 15 or 20 of those switches hanging on transmissions of their yard donor trucks. Standard return policy is usually 30 day cash refund or exchange & 1/10th the cost the dealer would charge if he even had 1 to sell you. Failure rate is slim & nada. And Slim hasn't been seen for so long, Nada's trying to have him declared legally dead!(Yes, that was a joke & No, I haven't quit me day job yet. If this wasn't funny, turn on your T.V. on the morning of Nov. 5th!).

Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 PM
The part number (F0) you gave was for a 1990 transmission.
The part you are talking about was bad so Ford has a replacement fix it kit with a new redesigned part.

The Ford parts guy should know that.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks Everybody.

Well I got a switch for a 91 E40D today, and it fits. Problem is I had to rework the connector to fit the new part. Went to start it and no dice. I think the pin out for the connector is wrong. The stock wiring is intact so I think its on the switch side.

Any advice? Does any one have the pinout sequence for the connector so I can check to make sure I have the connector made up right?

I think the previous owner reworked the connector to work with the older switch so it might not be wired right. I have a Chiltons on the truck but its kind of vague around the wiring of the switch. Anybody got access to a service manual with some more detail?

As for replacing it, I have plans on reworking it this spring I just need to keep it going till then.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 AM
The information I was talking about above is covered in this TSB.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/949...les/950212.pdf
It also gives the part number so take the sensor you bough back to Ford and tell them you want the kit with the part number in the TSB.
You may already have the plug on your truck for this sensor and you will not find one in a salvage yard to match your plug unless you find one that has the kit installed.
Sorry I do not have a pin out for this replacement plug on the one in the shop manual that may now be wrong.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Trucks running! Well sort of.

Well I got the truck running this weekend, sort of.

I rang out the wires to the starter soleniod and the reverse lights, then firgured out how the switch worked in differnet positions. I put two and two together, now my truck is running, the switch works the way it should, and I have back up lights when I need them.

Problem is though I have four extra wires that I have no clue what they are for or were they go. Chiltons has some vague stuff in the diagrams but the colors don't match up with what I have. I have a 5 volt signal on one of them and the other three are dead. Anybody have a guess? I have noticed that it sounds like the tranny is by-passing fluid internally that it did not do before so I figure two of the wires are for that. No clue which ones though. The tranny shifting has also gotten much more abrupt compared to normal. Normal being the shift not rattling your teeth when it shifts up a gear.

It drives well enough for short distances but I am not going to push it till I get it figured out.

I looked on the web for a diagram, but every site has their hand out for money to purchase them. WTF! I just info on one freakin' connector. I am stopping buy the dealer today to see if one of the tech's can get the info for me.

So I am still looking for a pin out if anybody out there has one they can get a sketch or something to me.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I did not post because I ran into two different pin outs for that sensor.
But here they are if they will help.

/

Last edited by subford; 11-03-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Absolutely Perfect!

Subford, you are the man!

This is what I have been looking for. I even went to the dealer today to ask one of the tech's about this and was told they did not time to talk to me, but I could bring it in for them to diagnose! SOB's I did not know where I was going to get this info from and then BAM! you all came through. Woo Hoo!

As for the difference in the wiring not a big deal, the switch just opens the circuit for the two leads so it is a discreet on/off type deal. Although its funny that I have that function on a two wheel drive truck. Ford probably use's the same harness for both two wheel and four wheel drive applications. Now the shift control module feed, that's where I am having trouble. This should fix the problem. Cool.

Subford if you are ever in the Lake Wylie area of SC give me a yell and I will buy you a beer.

Thanks,
Shane

Quick Reply: 1991 Tranmission Help?