Alignment/Crooked Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment/Crooked Steering Wheel

I got my steering shaft replaced by the dealer because the joint in the engine bay had excessive play and my steering clunked around a bit. The problem is fixed but now my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right, just a few degrees, while the truck is going straight. It doesn't wander or pull on the highway really, so I THINK the alignment is ok. The dealer said that there is no way to adjust it without getting a full alignment done on the truck. I don't think my truck has ever had an alignment before, but I'm not sure if it needs one either. I have replaced tires, shocks, lower ball joints this past year but didn't have it aligned. What should I do?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
they should be able to pull the steering wheel and realign it on the shaft

Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have never had an alignment, it would definitely be worth it. Especially after replacing ball joints. Not that expensive.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don’t need a full alignment to fix that problem. All they need to do is remove the steering wheel and install it one or two splines to the left depending on how off it is.

Since you did have some other items replace during the year it might not be a bad idea to get an alignment to make sure your in spec.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bxstang2000
You don’t need a full alignment to fix that problem. All they need to do is remove the steering wheel and install it one or two splines to the left depending on how off it is.

Since you did have some other items replace during the year it might not be a bad idea to get an alignment to make sure your in spec.
Most newer vehicles have a master spline so that you are not able to pull the steering wheel and move it a couple of splines. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an alignment done if it's never been done- IF you can find a competent FE guy. Don't laugh, I spent my life in automotive and there are a lot that are not competent. In the course of my work I did alignment for several years, and it is not necessary to have an alignment done to straighten the steering wheel. In your case, simply loosen the tie rod sleeve bolts and turn 1 side 1 direction an 1/8 of a turn and the other side the other direction an 1/8 of a turn. (make sure the bolts are tightened when you're done!) If you look at the threads on the tie rods before you start and do your mathematics in which way to turn, you won't have to be doing trial and error. You will retain your correct toe that way if you don't want to have an alignment done. Every now and then even with the steering wheel locker in place, when you take it for a test drive, the steering wheel may be off slightly to 1 side or the other and you learn pretty quickly just how much to turn the sleeves (or rod in case of R&P) to center the wheel.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be any play in the steering shaft whatsoever? I JUST had mine replaced at the dealer, and I grabbed the shaft joint in the engine bay, where there's that black rubber accordian boot over the joint, and I could wiggle it up and down a bit. Is this normal? I just seem to think that it's not completely fixed, that there might be another problem somewhere else related.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyBound85
Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be any play in the steering shaft whatsoever? I JUST had mine replaced at the dealer, and I grabbed the shaft joint in the engine bay, where there's that black rubber accordian boot over the joint, and I could wiggle it up and down a bit. Is this normal? I just seem to think that it's not completely fixed, that there might be another problem somewhere else related.
Yes the shaft will actually collapse if you push hard enough. There is a rubber coupling. and a telescope style shaft. They are comfort and safety features respectively. And both can have some play in them.

As long as you dont have play in the steering wheel left to right, or forward and backwards....
-Patrick

Old 07-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Okay thanks for the reply. I might have done a bad job at explaining the where the play is, after re-reading my previous explanation. I guess it would be side to side play in the shaft. Not compressing and stretching the shaft but 90* to that, side to side. Still okay?

Quick Reply: Alignment/Crooked Steering Wheel