Nitto Tires Question of the Week: Should Ford Build a F-150 EV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Nitto Tires Question of the Week: Should Ford Build a F-150 EV?

Should Ford build an all-electric F-150?

https://www.f150online.com/articles/...ld-a-f-150-ev/

Tell us what you think here...

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll tell you what I think, Ed. This is old news (purty much like ever'thang else you post).

Someone already has - Neither you nor Nitto know how to use this site's search facilities, apparently.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...electric+motor

Never mind all of that - most folks here don't even want a (sic) 'crappy-sounding V6' in their manly Pickmeups. WTF makes you ( or Nitto ) think that they'd cotton to a truck that makes NO NOISE AT ALL - or at least, sounds like a Prius

Cain't wait fer the Texicans ( largest demographic ) to chime in, lol ....

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good Grief!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
MGDs nipple musta came loose from the bottle. Now he's down to gulping.

I don't see an EV being required or necessary. Most states do not have the infrastructure to support any volume of electric vehicles. The Lithium used to make the batteries is a fairly rare commodity and there's a ton of horror stories about the mining of it. Even if that were not an issue, the range is small. GM tried a Tahoe Hybrid and a pickup too. Neither are being made as sales just weren't there. More and more folks are understanding, this is not the future in vehicle technology. The future is small diesel electric. Ranges can be greater than our current gas or diesel engines. Let the folks with the technology develop the headless engines and the energy crunch is over forever. These engines use anything that burns- gas, alcohol, diesel, used motor oil, methanol, ethanol, you name it, if it burns and it's a liquid, it'll burn it. These little engine make some serious HP too. The major setback, you can make your own fuel at home from garbage. The feds have no way to tax you for it so you can't have it....yet. But an EV truck, nope, I doubt there'd be more than 100 takers for one. And that what we call in Texas "fishing in a bucket" (just fer you MGD).

Old 09-20-2014, 10:45 AM
Lol.

Seriously though - to make a truck truly useful as a 'truck' ( instead of, say, a Ridgeline ), it needs some decent payload numbers. If you encumber the pickup with 1,000 lbs of batteries ( and whatever additional unsprung weight for the wheel motors ), that's going to take a rather large bite out of the vehicles hauling capability.

Apart from the interesting engineering I don't think it's an appropriate platform for an EV, myself.

Of course, if it's a typical poser truck that never sees real work or anything in the bed, it'd be a handy marketing tool. Nothin' like an electric motor for torque off-the-line. And fer all the V8 nuts, you'd need to provide a manly synthesized soundtrack in sync with the loud pedal

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-20-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Do you remember that gizmo that was marketed years ago? Made a 4 cylinder sound like a v8 hot rod. That should do the trick.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Do you remember that gizmo that was marketed years ago? Made a 4 cylinder sound like a v8 hot rod. That should do the trick.
Indeed I do!

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ml#post5063905

Thankee fer the reminder

MGD

Old 09-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback. I've driven a lot of EVs including the Ranger and feel they lack range and I doubt they will ever really catch on. Ford tried recently with the Transit Electric and that only lasted for 2 years. The Focus EV is too small and heavy, plus it has no storage area in the trunk because of all of the batteries. If you want to save gas it seems like Hybrids are really the way to go but I'll keep pumping gas until the prices get too high.

Quick Reply: Nitto Tires Question of the Week: Should Ford Build a F-150 EV?