Up to 440 hp, 1,369 ft-lbs @ 0 rpm (4wd)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Up to 440 hp, 1,369 ft-lbs @ 0 rpm (4wd)

EDIT: it's actually 2,360 ft-lbs, lol! Dang it,

( 110hp, 590 ft-lbs per wheel )

http://www.proteanelectric.com/en/overview/

Looks promising, eh?

This would make a nice towing drivetrain, lol. Used in a hybrid config ( gas engine for generation ). Ruler-flat locomotive-like torque, active traction management for each wheel.

Wonder how they address the unsprung weight issue ( delta between wheel motor in place of traditional brake rotor/caliper assembly ).

The degree of individual control is fantastic.

A coup fer Volkswagen and China if they can mass-produce and drive costs down.

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-27-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: butterfingers strike agin, lol!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sweet ....

wonder if they'll make it available in "run flat" tires....lol

Old 12-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Actually, you can't have more than zero HP at 0 RPM. HP is a derived measure of the rate at which work is done, and to do work, you MUST have motion. Because motion is part of the derivation of HP, it's a bit of a misleading measurement.

Torque, on the other hand, is a very useful measurement, because it gives you an idea of "potential rewards" if the total torque is 2360 ft-lbs, at 0 RPM, you can calculate the amount of "pull" you have available at a standing start. And, if that torque value does not fall off with increasing speed, that "pull" remains constant, so you can continue to accelerate.

However, the idea of powering each individual wheel at the wheel without the losses of a drivetrain from a central power source is a great idea. I'll be interested to see if they can work out the kinks and get it into mass production. It should go a long way to making electric vehicles practical.

Good find, MGD!

- Jack

Old 12-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Actually, you can't have more than zero HP at 0 RPM. HP is a derived measure of the rate at which work is done, and to do work, you MUST have motion. Because motion is part of the derivation of HP, it's a bit of a misleading measurement.

Torque, on the other hand, is a very useful measurement, because it gives you an idea of "potential rewards" if the total torque is 2360 ft-lbs, at 0 RPM, you can calculate the amount of "pull" you have available at a standing start. And, if that torque value does not fall off with increasing speed, that "pull" remains constant, so you can continue to accelerate.

However, the idea of powering each individual wheel at the wheel without the losses of a drivetrain from a central power source is a great idea. I'll be interested to see if they can work out the kinks and get it into mass production. It should go a long way to making electric vehicles practical.

Good find, MGD!

- Jack
Thankee Jack for the save - my bad on the very poor & misleading wording.

Yessir - the concept is a nice clean-sheet approach - with stunning potential. I do wish them well.

Regards & Cheers

MGD

Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Thankee Jack for the save - my bad on the very poor & misleading wording.

Yessir - the concept is a nice clean-sheet approach - with stunning potential. I do wish them well.

Regards & Cheers

MGD
It's no biggie, because the wording would have been interpreted differently if the comma was a semicolon.

I'm just sensitive to the whole concept of using HP as a measurement of "goodness", since high power at low speed or low power at high speed can both give the same high HP values. I think the average person doesn't understand this and puts too much value on HP figures.

I noticed this in a very recent post in the "Chips, Tuners and Programming" forum that you responded to in which you pointed out what the real benefits were (not HP).

- Jack

Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i personaly think the electric motor, assit thing is the thing of the future.

just a matter of getting the cost down and the technology rock solid.

check out the LaFerrari, just a little out of most peoples price range. but i like the idea .

Old 12-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting tech but something seems a little bit fishy about this company.

I was looking the place over when I found this gem. Demo Vehicles
That clearly is a 2009+ F-150 they have labeled as a 2008. If they can't keep their test fleet straight just what else are they hiding?

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Most likely a typo (seen mine?, lol) - no conspiracy theories lurking, I'd wager.

Send 'em some feedback, see if'n they respond - may git you a new hat or a tshirt

MGD

Originally Posted by Wookie
Interesting tech but something seems a little bit fishy about this company.

I was looking the place over when I found this gem. Demo Vehicles
That clearly is a 2009+ F-150 they have labeled as a 2008. If they can't keep their test fleet straight just what else are they hiding?

Old 12-28-2013, 12:55 PM
E-mail sent, we'll see what they have to say. Something about that web site though makes me think this guy is their pitch man.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM
E-mail sent, we'll see what they have to say. Something about that web site though makes me think this guy is their pitch man.

MGD

Old 12-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Never know what you might see out there. I was privy to testing of one Cummins diesel hooked to a generator in a 42 foot Bertram that used electric engines on the prop shafts. The freakin boat ran just as fast as it's sister boat using 2- 3208 CATS. Fuel consumption for the single was paltry by comparison. But because of the lighter weight, time to plane was quick as well as hitting max speed.

Maybe Mazda could use technology like this with it's newer smaller rotary engine hooked up to a generator. The rotary they are working on you can hold in yer hands, displaces less than a cubic inch, yet has HP/torque that I can't talk about. The biggest issue with it is emissions. The HCs are nearly off the scales but maybe with direct injection, laser ignition and an exhaust expansion chamber with after cooler, it might just work. But that's their engineers problem to solve. Obviously on a scaled down version of this technology.

I can see this as a viable application in the trucking industry.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 PM
They better make their apex seals from unobtanium to keep them from leaking. They've been fooling around with rotaries since the 70s and still can't make them stop leaking worse than an old Harley.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet

Good find, MGD!

- Jack
I've been working on this since before I was a member of this site. I am glad to see it's not just me that sees this as a very viable future.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this on "Pass Time" when Speed channel existed..

...zap!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Well, I received a response from Mr. Ken Stewart.

Originally Posted by Ken Stewart
Dear Mr. Joe –

This was a late model 2008 that was purchased directly from Ford for the 2008 Special Equipment Show so it may have some 2009 content on it. The photo on our website is the actual vehicle.

Kind regards,

Protean Electric
I stand by my earlier assessment. Telling me it's a 2008 with some 2009 parts is an obvious lie or they have no clue what they are talking about.

Quick Reply: Up to 440 hp, 1,369 ft-lbs @ 0 rpm (4wd)