Anyone use a dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone use a dash cam?

Thinking of getting a dash cam, just wondering if anyone else uses one on a regular basis? I was first thinking about getting a Go Pro but they are pretty expensive so now just looking at regular dash cams.

I want one for all the idiot drivers around, i have a friend that was in a accident recently and he had a friend riding with him and the insurance still didnt pay the claim cause they said they needed a witness in another vehicle that saw the accident and they guy riding with him wasnt considered a witness.

So if yall have any suggestions on a good dash cam let me know and maybe some pics of it installed.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-29-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 PM
went ahead and got one.. I really like it and for 37 bucks its hard to beat. Has a great picture and looks like a radar detector so it doesnt take up alot of room. It takes up to a 32 gig sd card and records 720p and has a great picture. You can leave the screen up or down it works either way

Name:  dashcam_zps19aed9b9.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  38.7 KB

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-29-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What brand/model did you get for 37.00. Nice little set-up.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by vt780htx
What brand/model did you get for 37.00. Nice little set-up.
I used this guy.. he was pretty local and carrys a 1 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261368710677...84.m1497.l2649

Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 PM
For that price I would say it is definitely worth it even if you never have to "use" it. How did you get power to it? It says on the page only 1 hr battery life. It would suck to have to recharge it after each trip.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by il_duce
For that price I would say it is definitely worth it even if you never have to "use" it. How did you get power to it? It says on the page only 1 hr battery life. It would suck to have to recharge it after each trip.
it has a LONG car charger that comes with it, i took it up to the headliner,down the passenger a pillar behind the glove box and have the charger laying there in the cubby where the charger port is.. Cant see any of the wire. I ran off the battery today and it lasted a hour and 50 mins. ill just keep it plugged in since i have the wire hidden

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-29-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info. Been looking for a decent one for a while without breaking the bank.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 AM
also check out chriscarcam on ebay.. They have pretty good deals also

Old 01-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of a dash cam in a POV .... there are ones in the private ambulance company in my town.

They activate in the event of a collision, a major bump, a hard braking situation, monitor seat belt's, if you were on the phone, hand position on the wheel, etc.

Mostly they are there to screw the guys and gals when they mess up and get into a crash. They talked about getting them installed in my vollie corp and we all said hell no. Just remember if something goes wrong you will probably have to bring that recording device in as evidence. It is a double edge sword to say the least.

Last edited by Pockets; 01-30-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Never heard of a dash cam in a POV .... there are ones in the private ambulance company in my town.

They activate in the event of a collision, a major bump, a hard braking situation, monitor seat belt's, if you were on the phone, hand position on the wheel, etc.

Mostly they are there to screw the guys and gals when they mess up and get into a crash. They talked about getting them installed in my vollie corp and we all said hell no. Just remember if something goes wrong you will probably have to bring that recording device in as evidence. It is a double edge sword to say the least.
I just want it for the idiots around here that like to run red lights and hit you then take off. Had a buddy that was denied a insurance claim a few months ago cause there were no withness'. I think this little cam will help more than it hurts. There has been a scam around here the last month when there is no one around the car ahead of you throws it in reverse and hits you, then tells the cops you rearended them and of course most of the time they get a nice insurance check out of the deal. Not going to happen to me!

The other forum wanted a video of it in action so i uploaded a 3 minute clip. For the price it has a pretty good picture.. If yal watch it be sure to watch it in 720p

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 01-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
I think I might get this. Do you have to turn it on/off each time? Press record each time? It says motion sensing. So do I just hop in and start driving? Thanks for being the guinea pig! haha

Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by il_duce
I think I might get this. Do you have to turn it on/off each time? Press record each time? It says motion sensing. So do I just hop in and start driving? Thanks for being the guinea pig! haha
they have the hardwire kit for 29.00 that will have it turn on and off when the vehicle is started and turned off. or just press the power button and it starts recording which is what i do.

It does have the motion sensing but i have it off, when its on it records in 2 minute duration instead of the 10 minute durations.

I like it cause when the memory card is full it just records over the oldest videos. So basically turn it on and forget about it

Old 01-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the quick review KingRanchCoy. I'll be pulling the trigger on this in the next couple of days.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Pretty cool KRC, I just bought one based on your post! Thought I would give it a shot.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I think that's an excellent picture, Coy. How does it work at night? Nice job with the installation too!

Sounds like this could be a trend - copying the Russians! Hope we haven't gotten to be as bad on the road as them.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Anyone use a dash cam?