Public school dress code?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public school dress code?

Have you heard about this one? Kids wearing American flag attire on Cinco Demayo, inciting conflict?

NBC Bay Area-Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QlGMuZ8ic

Is it just me, or is there something extremely wrong with this?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I expect to see the ACLU file a discrimination law suite against the school officials and the school district. But you know that won't happen because the ACLU is anti-American.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Just for starters, Wittom, the American Flag is not supposed to be worn as a "costume", on a T-shirt, across some young chick's butt, and so on. Read the Flag Code.

Every time I see the American flag worn as some redneck's shirt, I want to rip it off him/or her, and stuff it down their throat. But, as an Air Force Officer, I made a sacred vow to uphold the Constitution, which gives these misguided "citizens" the right to treat the Flag with no respect at all, just as they are doing when they wear it as an article of clothing.

I'm all for National Pride, but really, some people need to learn what this great Nation is REALLY all about!

- Jack

Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They should have worn their USA flag pins.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
FWIW the campus officials are left standing alone. A Morgan Hill Unified School District official stated:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just for starters, Wittom, the American Flag is not supposed to be worn as a "costume", on a T-shirt, across some young chick's butt, and so on. Read the Flag Code.

Every time I see the American flag worn as some redneck's shirt, I want to rip it off him/or her, and stuff it down their throat. But, as an Air Force Officer, I made a sacred vow to uphold the Constitution, which gives these misguided "citizens" the right to treat the Flag with no respect at all, just as they are doing when they wear it as an article of clothing.

I'm all for National Pride, but really, some people need to learn what this great Nation is REALLY all about!

- Jack
Where did you read that they worn the flag as a "costume?" What young chick's butt did you see? I agree about disrepecting the flag....but tell me exactly what these students did to disrespect the flag?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:00 PM

- Jack
Your interpretation of the flag code is incorrect. What you are referring to is use of an "actual flag" as clothing. There is nothing wrong with an image of the flag or a representation of a flag on clothing. That's called showing patriotism and pride.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Real Sniper
Your interpretation of the flag code is incorrect. What you are referring to is use of an "actual flag" as clothing. There is nothing wrong with an image of the flag or a representation of a flag on clothing. That's called showing patriotism and pride.
Agree.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Nope - read the Code please! Should I provide a link for you? A representation of the Flag on clothing (by the way, this is our Flag, not "flag"), is considered disrespectful. But, hey, it's just a "code", not a "law", so, no harm. Wear the flag across your crotch as that student did. Throw it in the washer when it gets dirty and into the trash can when it wears out.

This is really a "false patriotism", my friend. There's no blood lost by showing a depiction of the Flag on your shorts.

And, screwyou, you can read the Flag Code too. A depiction of the Flag worn on an article of clothing is disrespectful.

Note: This does not apply to Flag "pins" that are worn to honor the Country.

- Jack

Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
If I was those kids I'd be wearing something with an American flag on it everyday from now on.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey Jack,

Report me

Old 05-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I see nothing about the representation of a flag on clothing in the flag code.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Suspended
Nope - read the Code please! Should I provide a link for you? A representation of the Flag on clothing (by the way, this is our Flag, not "flag"), is considered disrespectful. But, hey, it's just a "code", not a "law", so, no harm. Wear the flag across your crotch as that student did. Throw it in the washer when it gets dirty and into the trash can when it wears out.

This is really a "false patriotism", my friend. There's no blood lost by showing a depiction of the Flag on your shorts.

And, screwyou, you can read the Flag Code too. A depiction of the Flag worn on an article of clothing is disrespectful.

Note: This does not apply to Flag "pins" that are worn to honor the Country.

- Jack
So, you say, the flag worn on an article of clothing is disrespectful. I guess our olympic team members are disrespectful, sport teams are disrespectful, members of the armed forces are disrepectful. There's more to it than that.

BTW, I got Betsy Ross' premission to wear my Flag shirt tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Hey Jack,

Report me

*sigh*, There's nothing to report. You either understand the principles this great Country is founded on or you don't. Here's a link to the Flag Code: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

Please read it carefully. If you want to ignore it, fine! That's your sacred right as a US citizen. I've lost many friends who died defending that right, so, it's over to you.

- Jack

Old 05-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Global Moderator &

OK, Here's the appropriate part:
# The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
# The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
# The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
# The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
# The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
# The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
# No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
Yup, I'm not happy at all with the "olympic costumes", but, I'm an idealist.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Public school dress code?