Louder exhaust on my 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louder exhaust on my 5.4

Hey guys I'm running a SI/DO with a super 10 muffler. I was expecting it to much loud and thats what I'm looking for but with a good tone of course. In the end i was disappointed and I'm looking for a way to make it louder. Would dual glass packs make a difference? Should i swap out my cats for some high flows? Im stuck.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What year and engine?
Super10s are loud. I'm surprised it wasn't enough..
To get the best tone and noise do. LT headers, high flow cats and Borla XR-1.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
What year and engine?
Super10s are loud. I'm surprised it wasn't enough..
To get the best tone and noise do. LT headers, high flow cats and Borla XR-1.
Its an 02 with a 5.4 V8. Yeah i really don't know why the 10 wasn't as loud as i would expect. I heard rumors about the Borla XR-1 being insane. If i didn't get headers would it still be what I'm looking for?

Old 12-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by FX4man13

Its an 02 with a 5.4 V8. Yeah i really don't know why the 10 wasn't as loud as i would expect. I heard rumors about the Borla XR-1 being insane. If i didn't get headers would it still be what I'm looking for?
Same exact engine and year I had. Those 4 cats really take down in noise..
If you didn't do headers. Go high flow cats and me personally go Borla of some type. I had a Borla Turbo (pro-x) with no cats and headers and it was pretty dang loud, but also kept it's tone.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Same exact engine and year I had. Those 4 cats really take down in noise..
If you didn't do headers. Go high flow cats and me personally go Borla of some type. I had a Borla Turbo (pro-x) with no cats and headers and it was pretty dang loud, but also kept it's tone.
Yeah the four of them kills it. My buddy has a chevy 1500 with a 4.8 and it seems louder i really don't know why. What cats would you recommend I'm looking to keep the cats but high flows seem the way to go and what would you recommend for a deeper louder exhaust for borla or is the one you mentioned the one i am looking for?

Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM

Yeah the four of them kills it. My buddy has a chevy 1500 with a 4.8 and it seems louder i really don't know why. What cats would you recommend I'm looking to keep the cats but high flows seem the way to go and what would you recommend for a deeper louder exhaust for borla or is the one you mentioned the one i am looking for?
Magnaflow makes great high flow cats. You will only need 1 per side..
I have had both pro-x and xr-1 and the xr-1 is more aggressive and deeper.. But you can account the deepness to the single 3" piping. Where as my pro-x where on 2.5"

Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, the 4 cats is killing your tone. Hi-flow cats, or Dynomax Bullet muffler.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Yep, the 4 cats is killing your tone. Hi-flow cats, or Dynomax Bullet muffler.
Yeah I've seen your videos on youtube of the bullet it sounds mean. Thats what i want I just don't want to dump money into it and be disappointed, ya know? What size bullet would you say? Should i run a duel setup with the two bullets?

Old 12-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Magnaflow makes great high flow cats. You will only need 1 per side..
I have had both pro-x and xr-1 and the xr-1 is more aggressive and deeper.. But you can account the deepness to the single 3" piping. Where as my pro-x where on 2.5"
How much would it be to have them installed? Id buy the cats myself then bring them to a muffler place. Just too cold to do it myself this time of year where i am.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I've seen your videos on youtube of the bullet it sounds mean. Thats what i want I just don't want to dump money into it and be disappointed, ya know? What size bullet would you say? Should i run a duel setup with the two bullets?
My 2004 had original 4 cats. I removed the 2 rear converters and that's the sound it put out. So hi-flows on your 2v will be great.

I ran the smallest shortest Bullets, the #24215 2.5" in/out 12" long 4" round mufflers. I went true dual just to say I had true duals, but a single system performs best unless you build it up for power. I would say unless you do forced induction, don't go true udal, unless you like the raspy flash the true duals make under WOT.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:00 PM
My 2004 had original 4 cats. I removed the 2 rear converters and that's the sound it put out. So hi-flows on your 2v will be great.

I ran the smallest shortest Bullets, the #24215 2.5" in/out 12" long 4" round mufflers. I went true dual just to say I had true duals, but a single system performs best unless you build it up for power. I would say unless you do forced induction, don't go true udal, unless you like the raspy flash the true duals make under WOT.
I see. The rasp i don't really care for. I mean the super 10 does the pop when i rev the engine if thats what your saying. But if i run two high flows coming into a Y pipe will iget that rumble i am looking for? I mean you seem to know whats the best according to tone. I just hope it isn't quieter than the super 10.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Or maybe two high flows with the super 10? Or will that barely be a difference..

Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Or maybe two high flows with the super 10? Or will that barely be a difference..
2 high flows well make your super 10 louder. But since the 10 is naturally poppy it'll just get worse.

Price wise. I would think $100-$200 to install just the cats. And ask for your OEM cats back so you can scrap them and make about $150 back.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:22 AM
2 high flows well make your super 10 louder. But since the 10 is naturally poppy it'll just get worse.

Price wise. I would think $100-$200 to install just the cats. And ask for your OEM cats back so you can scrap them and make about $150 back.
Is there a part number for the high flows? I just want to get the correct one since I'm finding a lot of cats very similar to OEM. I might just stick with the high flows for now see how i like it and if not ill then have to consider either some dynomax bullets or the borla

Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Is there a part number for the high flows? I just want to get the correct one since I'm finding a lot of cats very similar to OEM. I might just stick with the high flows for now see how i like it and if not ill then have to consider either some dynomax bullets or the borla
I don't know the part number. But if you do a search on this forum you should be able to find it.

Quick Reply: Louder exhaust on my 5.4