Flowmaster exhaust kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster exhaust kit

2003 Ford F-150 5.4 V-8

I want to change out my existing exhaust over to a flowmaster. I'm looking for a nice quiet sound exhaust that sounds good, not one thats really loud and can hear me coming a mile away. What do you guys suggest? Also, how easy is it to change over? Can a weekend mechanic like myself do this job?

Thanks

Old 09-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyboys88
2003 Ford F-150 5.4 V-8

I want to change out my existing exhaust over to a flowmaster. I'm looking for a nice quiet sound exhaust that sounds good, not one thats really loud and can hear me coming a mile away. What do you guys suggest? Also, how easy is it to change over? Can a weekend mechanic like myself do this job?

Thanks
^^^ Yes.

However...

Also, read: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ust-guide.html

good luck
MGD

Old 09-22-2014, 11:14 AM
dont get a flowmaster. plain and simple. they sound terrible. Go with a magnaflow. Put a magnaflow 18 inch SISO muffler and kept stock pipe and my truck sounds amazing.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texaslax22
dont get a flowmaster. plain and simple. they sound terrible. Go with a magnaflow. Put a magnaflow 18 inch SISO muffler and kept stock pipe and my truck sounds amazing.
X2 on Magnaflow 18".

If you insist on Flowmaster kit, get their Force 2 kit, comes with their 50 Series Delta muffler.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm not sold on the Flowmaster, just youtubed the Magnaflow and sounds nice.

I'm a rookie so bare with me please.

Can I simply remove my old muffler and just replace it with the Magnaflow? Do I need to do some cutting or purchase a new pipe from the Magnaflow back?

Part number would help on the Magnaflow if possible.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you want it a little quieter, but still have a great sound. In which case a 22" Magnaflow muffler may be a good choice if you want to change the muffler only.

http://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow-p...eel/12577.html

For a more aggressive sound that isn't obnoxious, the 18" is great.

http://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow-p...eel/11266.html

Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM
love the sound of my 14'', but a longer one may suit you better.....

and again....don't get a flowmaster

Old 09-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Thanks again guys..

FYI - THE Exhaust Guide - great read!

So it is pretty much just remove my old (original) muffler and install the new one? Should I replace the exhaust pipe fro my new muffle back?

I'm liking the SIDO look as well.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Pretty much. One thing is you'll want to pick up a universal exhaust hanger from your local parts store since the hangers are welded on to the original muffler.

Regarding your original tail pipe, you could keep it and save a little money. But you'd have to get a piece of 2.5" pipe from your local parts store and cut it to length. The OE muffler is huge.

Or, you could go for a dumped exhaust by simply adding a 45° elbow to the rear of the muffler. This will give it a deeper tone and will be a bit louder, but it's ideal for a budget exhaust and looks clean not having a tail pipe. I ran a setup like that for a while.

And to answer your question about going SI/DO, that's my personal preference. Throatier sound, but not raspy. This is the setup I'm running on my truck and it's absolutely perfect for me. Great tone on the outside, and the perfect amount inside the cab. Well-worth the money for something that bolts on with no guesswork. The extension pipe adapts the OE 2.5" pipe to a 3", then the muffler splits it into two 2.5" pipes. Plus I really like the look of a dual rear exit.

http://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow-p...ems/15749.html

Hope this helps. Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Pretty much. One thing is you'll want to pick up a universal exhaust hanger from your local parts store since the hangers are welded on to the original muffler.

Regarding your original tail pipe, you could keep it and save a little money. But you'd have to get a piece of 2.5" pipe from your local parts store and cut it to length. The OE muffler is huge.

Or, you could go for a dumped exhaust by simply adding a 45° elbow to the rear of the muffler. This will give it a deeper tone and will be a bit louder, but it's ideal for a budget exhaust and looks clean not having a tail pipe. I ran a setup like that for a while.

And to answer your question about going SI/DO, that's my personal preference. Throatier sound, but not raspy. This is the setup I'm running on my truck and it's absolutely perfect for me. Great tone on the outside, and the perfect amount inside the cab. Well-worth the money for something that bolts on with no guesswork. The extension pipe adapts the OE 2.5" pipe to a 3", then the muffler splits it into two 2.5" pipes. Plus I really like the look of a dual rear exit.

http://www.realtruck.com/magnaflow-p...ems/15749.html

Hope this helps. Best of luck whichever way you choose to go.
Thanks! I love the kit and it makes it easier. I have some decisions to make shortly. Thanks again!

Last edited by tommyboys88; 09-23-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM
to install mine I had to buy about 2 feet of extra pipe that would slide over the existing exhaust pieces and into the muffler. on my 01 the muffler was crimped to the pipe by a machine so we had to cut the actual muffler out on both sides and get another hanger and welded it to the muffler. then hung and welded he rest like normal. would of taken 3 hours but I forgot my electric saw at home so had to use a hand saw.

Last edited by Texaslax22; 09-23-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:19 PM
also if you have the money for a complete kit from magnaflow I suggest doing that. Everything will fit together nicely and no worry about cutting and welding. everything is bolt on. Don't forget to get a tip! makes it project even louder.

Last edited by Texaslax22; 09-23-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Texaslax22
also if you have the money for a complete kit from flowmaster I suggest doing that. Everything will fit together nicely and no worry about cutting and welding. everything is bolt on. Don't forget to get a tip! makes it project even louder.
HA!! I don't wamt to wake my neighbors up at 3am when i head out fishing.

I am buying the kit. I found the Magnaflow kit 15749 $110.00 dollars cheaper from my local speed shop.

My only concern and maybe someone could help me here. How do I remove the pipe after the cat converter? Are there a couple of bolts holding that together? It looks like some sort of flange. It's all rusted up and looks like its going to be a nightmare to remove.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Awesome. Let us know how you like it once it's on.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM
ok...I found this exhaust weight thats mounted just past my cat converter. It actually fell off when I grabbed it. I'm guessing its for vibration? Should I add this to my new system or leave it off?

Quick Reply: Flowmaster exhaust kit