True Duals or keep it single

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True Duals or keep it single

***UPDATED 2/1/10***
Ok so when I was taking off my old side steps I took a look at my muffler and what I thought was a Super 44 is a knock off, probably a Flopro. Throwing that thing out and getting either some bullets or 14" Magnapacks. I live in CA so I will be keeping the stock cats.
I love 4.6 Punishers (with stock cats), mblouir, and rudaay's (Youtube name, idk his name on here if hes a member) exhaust. I have a few questions since they are a little different then what I would have.
4.6Punishers is my favorite but I was wondering how much of a difference there would be with a 5.4 and x pipe? I know that the 5.4s are a little bit quieter.
Do the high-flows just make it louder or do they change the tone too? I love the sound of mblouirs and if its a little quieter thats ok.
Any performance differences between Magnapacks an bullets?

4.6 Punisher (Stock cats)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc6GrMyzpz8
mblouir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qilvL7Lv_z8
rudaay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0VKgX4c4g

I actually like drone so theres no problem there and I know its gunna be loud inside.

I won't be getting this done for a while, but I will be ordering my Gryphon this week. I would have to have the custom tunes rewritten if I went from single to dual muffler correct? By the time hes done with the tunes I should have my exhaust done

Last edited by Yogi.kudos; 02-02-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:54 PM

Nuff said.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I'll second that...

Old 12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
i really hate the way chambered mufflers sound with an x pipe. if your set on getting a chambered muffler id go with a single in dual out. and those seem like real good prices. it was 180 to install my whole exhaust

Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 PM
X pipes cut down on popping and add a little performance, the only down side is it adds a little rasp.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:34 PM
i actually saw a thread somewhere that an h pipe is proven to give more horsepower and torque than an x pipe i cant find it anywhere now though he had dynod his car after he changed his x over to an h. but there both better than true duals

Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 AM
I kinda forgot to ask my original question
Whats the performance difference between the 2 and do you guys think its worth the extra $200? ?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueOval_Man

Nuff said.
that was smooth Blue, i like that. for 320 i would for sure go with true duals. PS you only put down $100 for 2 super 44s. i think itll be about 190 for both, I would go H pipe over X pipe, though. You want that system to have chop in it, not rasp.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:53 AM
It was $130 for a single 44 and tip.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You do realize true duals means two mufflers, and 1 Super 44 is $79.99. times that by two, plus $10 for shipping, $168. You could probably just buy 1 more 3" Super 44 exactly like yours, have the 2.25" pipe ran and flanged for the mufflers, and run it how you want. Look for a few used/unused ones too possibly. I recently sold two Super 44s for $130 shipped, they were never used on vehicle, just bought and I decided my Magnaflows sound way better than Flowmasters do on these trucks.

I personally would just keep it with a single muffler unless you care about a slight quieter idle, and louder WOT. But definitely get dual tailpipes ran because these trucks were designed to look good with dual tails.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 AM
i went from oem 3" siso to current 2.25" setup.no comparison,especially while towing 5,500 lbs!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Honestly I went from 3" Single to 2.5" Duals and my trucks like a new truck. Woken right up.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone ever run duals with a single dual-in/dual out muffler and skip the x or h pipe?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
In the realm of an otherwise fairly stock truck (i.e. no supercharger, big cams, super custom tune, etc) I don't think you could tell much difference between true duals and a 3-inch single.

In fact, I did some dyno-testing on my '05 F-150HD, stock pipes with a 2.5-inch straight thru muffler added vs a full 3-inch cat back. The muffler change gave 3/4 the performance gain of the full system for about a third the cost. Stick a nice tip on the stock tailpipe for window dressing and you get a great performance/dollar ratio.

I was also involved in testing a full header and true dual system vs a cat back (on a GM truck) and we didn't see a gigantic difference between them (except in the cost) with the otherwise stock truck.

Where the dual and x-pipe, or even the 3-inch single, comes in is when you do other mods that increase the VE to the point where you need a lot more exhaust flow. When that happens, it's not so much as gaining from the exhaust mods, it's not losing what you gain by having a restrictive exhaust.

There are some tuning tips to exhaust size and generally, bigger is better for high rpm work but worse for torque down low. You gotta pick your poison. For everyday, a smaller diameter system with no chokes (poor blending, kinks etc) will allow for good torque and economy... with a small cost at the upper end. Everyday low and mid range torque and economy are my two goals. The only time my truck sees high rpms is on the dyno.

I don't think dual or single matters much if the sizing is right, but an X or H pipe is vital to duals.

After my fooling around on the dyno and some calculations (you can calculate exhaust flow in CFM), I'd have long tube headers, free flow cats with 1.5 inch tubes going into 2 inch pipes with mandrel bends, into a good Y, into a mandrel bent 2.5 inch single system with a large chamber straight thru muffler.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
Anyone ever run duals with a single dual-in/dual out muffler and skip the x or h pipe?
90% of dual exhaust are this way.

Quick Reply: True Duals or keep it single