magnaflow vs flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think a muffler will affect your emissions, mufflers just lower the exhaust tone and do not remove any pollution from the exhaust fumes. As straight through style muffler places no restriciton inside the muffler allowing the exhaust gas to flow into the muffler and directly out.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, it doesn't effect emissions. The catalytic converters do though. So don't cut them out or gut them and you'll be fine.

A straight-through muffler design is.......let me see if I can explain it where it makes sense.......you can hold the muffler up and look through the opening and see all the way through to the other opening. It has nothing that blocks the air flows path from coming in and going straight out. The muffling it does is with the sound deadening/packing thats around the outer edges of the muffler.

If you were to hold a flowmaster up and try to look through, you can't see the other end. All the baffling blocks the flow and causes the flow to have to go around it to get out the other side.

I hope that came out right.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
If you are looking for a loud beefy sound, flowmasters are hard to beat. I had a 40 series on my Dakota and it turned a lot of heads. My dad has never been one for liking loud exhaust but he was always complimenting me on how great the truck sounded. I can't personally speak for magnaflows because I have never had one. Talk to your local shop and see if they can help you find what you are looking for.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
alrighty, thanks a lot guys. looks like im going for magnaflow

Old 09-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Not to throw you off but I heard Brewdude's exhaust. It sounded absolutely amazing. It turned out to be a flowmaster...I thought he had magnas...

Old 09-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
Not to throw you off but I heard Brewdude's exhaust. It sounded absolutely amazing. It turned out to be a flowmaster...I thought he had magnas...
Flowmaster 40 series PSS heard mine and gave it a big grin and a thumbs up. He then tried to race me out of the parking lot, too bad I had the a/c on and didn't gun it til he was next to me. Next time...

Old 09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Flowmaster 40 series PSS heard mine and gave it a big grin and a thumbs up. He then tried to race me out of the parking lot, too bad I had the a/c on and didn't gun it til he was next to me. Next time...
Well racing is another story...I stomped Brew Saturday.

Actually we just both pulled out of a gas station and hit it and I pulled away hard.

He'll be calling Troyer soon but he better get that motor cleaned before he goes down for a dyno day.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by vader716
Well racing is another story...I stomped Brew Saturday.

Actually we just both pulled out of a gas station and hit it and I pulled away hard.

He'll be calling Troyer soon but he better get that motor cleaned before he goes down for a dyno day.
Well, PSS has the stock 5.4, and I think 3.55 gears. He also has TINY 235s. I've got the Edged, Flowmastered, K&N'd, and Troyer'd 4.6, 3.55s, and 265/75/16s.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Spinal
what exactly is a straight through one? i dont want anything affecting my emissions...and ya i kinda want the best of both worlds, performance and the sound but mostly performance i mean it doesn't have to sound like a nascar or something lol but decent.

The emission testing done on 1999? and up is done via computer link plug-in under your dash, not the old school way of hooking up the tube on the tailpipe and measuring ppm of harmful emissions. That's the way it is in WI however, and speaking about other states I cannot do. However, I did hear that putting any modified exhast on your truck may give you cancer, at least according to the state of California that is.

Last edited by Chromium; 09-11-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by Chromium
However, I did hear that putting any modified exhast on your truck may give you cancer, at least according to the state of California that is.
EVERYTHING gives you cancer in California, living gives you cancer in California!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Time for the Flowmaster king to chime in here.

The silly little I loose low end torque argument used by most, is at best, unnoticable. If your truck puts out say, 300 pounds of tq and you loose 10 pounds, thats a 3.2% loss. If your *** can tell 3.2%, then there is a guy named Jack Roush looking for people just like you. At 3.2%, maybe 1% of enthusiast could actually notice a difference. THe only people who will notice this are all out drag racers. And to make due for that, they use flowmaster 1 chamber's.

If you run a setup like mine, low end torque is no big deal. I hit 312#'s woth 262HP using dual 3" exhaust,a blower,and a coupel other goddies.

If sound is what your looking for, with improved HP numbers, flowmaster is the only way to go.

I will however add, that if you are in ontario, then you'll need the stianless flows if you want them to last

Old 09-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
If you run a setup like mine, low end torque is no big deal. I hit 312#'s woth 262HP using dual 3" exhaust,a blower,and a coupel other goddies.

If sound is what your looking for, with improved HP numbers, flowmaster is the only way to go.

Now that is the funniest thing I heard all morning (a blower) and only 262 hp!

Torque is the only thing that a driver feels, and horsepower is calculated!

"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races"

Here is some more proof.........

This is an article on the 2001 Lightning.....the 2001 had 10 foot-pounds more torque then the 2000 Lightning. Just 10 foot-pounds of torque knocked off .4 seconds 0-60.............read below or go to this link:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/market...1701_ford.html

"Lightnings have been fast from the get-go, but the newest version pushes the limits of macho for a production truck. As with the previous model, muscle is supplied by a supercharged, intercooled, SOHC, 5.4-liter Triton V8. The news that strikes a bull's-eye with Lightning target buyers is a power boost. Lightning charges into 2001 churning out 380 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 450 foot-pounds of torque 3,250 rpm. This is a sizable increase of 20 horsepower and 10 foot-pounds of torque.

One might expect this hot-rod engine to produce a thunderous roar through its three-inch, twin-outlet side pipes, but Lightning's powerplant is surprisingly smooth and quiet. At full throttle there's a throatiness and the distinct whine of the supercharger getting down to business.

Lightning's V8 does its talking with eye-popping performance figures. Its new 0-60-mph time is 5.8 seconds, a notable reduction from the 2000 model's 6.2-second time. In a quarter-mile stretch, the time dips from 14.6 seconds at 97 mph to 13.9 seconds at 100 mph. Lightning's tremendous off-the-line kick is a big confidence booster when merging into freeway traffic or racing out of a tollbooth to enter a lane. Nowhere on the speedometer will legal-minded drivers feel cheated when on-tap power is needed".

Here's an interesting bit of trivia:

below 5252 rpm any engine's torque number will always be higher than its horsepower number, and above 5252 rpm any engine's horsepower number will always be higher than its torque number. At 5252 rpm the horsepower and torque numbers will be exactly the same.

Last edited by Silverfish; 09-12-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Also silverfish.......have you noticed how everyone is stuck on this 10ft. lbs. loss?? I said that about the latest mustang test with the flow 3" kit. I never said it was on a 1-fiddy. But everyone is stuck on that. It could be much more on a truck. I don't know.

But as I've said before, I don't care whether I can feel it or not. It's still a LOSS. And I don't want to pay money for ANY loss. That's just me. Especially when there are so many options out there for both performance AND sound. It's crazy to pay for a loss. In my opinion anyway.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
I will however add, that if you are in ontario, then you'll need the stianless flows if you want them to last
ya i do live in ontario we get a lot of snow =( but i do like stainless steel its pretty lol.

and ya i was wondering about 262hp did seem very low for a supercharged engine..lol mine supposed to put out 240rwhp stock! well thats what the sheet says haha. i'll see if my shop has a flowmaster / magnaflow muffer that i can look at then maybe swindle a deal to try out both lol

Old 09-12-2006, 11:22 PM
No one bothers to notice that I have a 98 model 5.4, which had a flywheel stock 230HP. Now, transferred through the driveline and dyno tested, an exhilerating 164 HP hit the ground. Using basic entry level Powerdyne supercharger, and a few add ons, 262HP was a 60% increase. Now, for the rest of you GURUS who thing you know it all, show me a 60% increase on your vehicle. I run nonPI heads on a 100K mile motor with a stock bottom end. I challange just about any of you (less a coupe that aided me in my setup) to gain 60% working with outdated technology.

Quick Reply: magnaflow vs flowmaster