'04 camshaft right side

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 camshaft right side

I have a 2004 F-150 Super Crew Lariat, new body style, with a 5.4 Triton. It started to hammer real bad, to the point that it sounded like a deisel. I took it to the local Ford Garage because it is still under extended warranty with 72,5xx miles. I was told that the lifters were bad, so they replaced the lifters. Next thing found was that the timing chain and gear on the right side was shot, so they replaced that. I had them check out the cam and valves on the same side since the timing chain was bad, and they found that the cam and roller rockers were bad, several of the roller rockers were froze up and "slapping" the face of the cam, causing it to wear a dip in the cam and flatspot the roller rockers.

Here is my issue. I have waited for a cam for a month now, adn FOMOCO cant find one., The dealership put it on EMERGENCY order, and i called FOMOCO throwing a fit over parts availability. I was told there is not a single right side cam available in the U.S. for my truck, and that an '05 or newer or an '03 or older cam wont work because it will cause damage to the valves and pistons, due to the tappets are different. According to FOMOCO, the soonest I will have a cam is end of September, maybe first part of October now. In order for the warranty to be good it has to be a FOMOCO part. I could order a new Comp Cam tomorrow and have it Friday, but my warranty would be voided.

I am to the point I am calling the Attorney General's office.

Help me!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Back orders are back orders. They've done all they can, escalating it to a critical order, checking other dealers to see if they have it, etc. The '03 and earlier cams are very different, and the '05+ is different, so they ain't telling you any fibs or lies there. The dealer's hands are tied. Sorry.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the truck isn't driveable, then I'd try making them make your monthly payments while it's out of commission, as well as providing you with a comparable rental.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Kinda surprising....

Wow, given that it needed new lifters/rockers/cam, i am very surprised that they just didn't replace the heads entirely... especially since the cam isn't available for about a month.

replacement head assemblies are a dime a dozen, so to speak.

wow.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
not much help there from the experts.. whut? this is a typical sign of the times, Ford has dealerships so screwed up now they are losing techs and reputations by the dozens.
They still could find more wrong with it from the sounds of it. I would insist on another motor and settle for new heads. Yes you should take this up a notch or two. You possibly could have some assistence with your insurance depending on your co. policy, state, etc.
Meanwhile your motor is sitting out in the lot rusting away with bolts getting lost, and lord know what happens to them in two months time at a steelership lot.
That is low mileage for that type of problem, the truck must have had a rough life. May want to do a carfax on it.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bamorris2
If the truck isn't driveable, then I'd try making them make your monthly payments while it's out of commission, as well as providing you with a comparable rental.
Dowhat? They're already fixing it under warranty, now you want them to provide a rental and pay his truck note? You can't be serious...

Originally Posted by smentzer
Wow, given that it needed new lifters/rockers/cam, i am very surprised that they just didn't replace the heads entirely... especially since the cam isn't available for about a month.

replacement head assemblies are a dime a dozen, so to speak.

wow.
If the castings aren't physically damaged or otherwise unusable, they can't replace the cylinder head(s).

Originally Posted by Roodoo2
They still could find more wrong with it from the sounds of it. I would insist on another motor and settle for new heads. Yes you should take this up a notch or two. You possibly could have some assistence with your insurance depending on your co. policy, state, etc.
Insist all you want, if the parts aren't available, what are they supposed to do? Miracle them out of thin air? Take the parts off another vehicle out on the lot? Take them out of an engine on the assembly line?

And the same goes as with the cylinder heads; if they can't find anything wrong with the engine (right now), then they can't replace it. Jesus Christ, it's not like dealers can flip a switch and replace parts at will, it just don't work that way, guys. A month is a long time for back order, but it's not unheard of, and it really sucks, but thus is life.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
ummm they WILL provide a Rental

when I bought my truck and had small issues here and there, they were more than willing to supply me with a temp vehicle, ie: another F150, while mine was in the shop becuase it IS under warranty. You just need to tell them, especially under these conditions, that you need a replacement. Also, I would take it up a notch, they themselves should have already offered you the idea of replacing the entire assy. you creat a big enough stink, you might be able to have them take the vehicle back like my family did when their driveshaft on their 300M broke while driving on I-95.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by FastAZZ5pt4
when I bought my truck and had small issues here and there, they were more than willing to supply me with a temp vehicle, ie: another F150, while mine was in the shop becuase it IS under warranty. You just need to tell them, especially under these conditions, that you need a replacement. Also, I would take it up a notch, they themselves should have already offered you the idea of replacing the entire assy. you creat a big enough stink, you might be able to have them take the vehicle back like my family did when their driveshaft on their 300M broke while driving on I-95.
Dealers ain't obligated to offer customers jack as far as rentals go. Sure, they can do it out the kindness of their heart, but they aren't required to.

And again, they can't just go replacing the entire engine on a whim, especially on an extended warranty claim. If the cylinder head casting isn't physically damaged or otherwise unusable, they can't replace it. If the engine itself isn't damaged or otherwise unserviceable, they can't replace it.

Have them take the vehicle back? Four years and 72,000 miles later? Are you high?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
no offense Quntin, but all of your statements reinforce my point about dealerships now days. There was a time, not too long ago, they would bend over backwards to keep the customer pleased (and continue buying Fords) on these type problems. Now it seems like they have pulled all the favors, juggled warrenty claims, and swept bad parts under the rug.. that they can do. Companies have finally caught on to all the service manager tricks and have made it impossible to fix warrenty claims painlessly for the customer.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Dowhat? They're already fixing it under warranty, now you want them to provide a rental and pay his truck note? You can't be serious...
Ah yeah, I overlooked the point that the truck is an '04 with 72,000 miles on it. For some reason, I was thinking a new truck having this problem.

Now realizing the age/mileage of the truck, I don't think he'd have much leverage other than the extended warranty. But if it's a Ford ESP, then they do have rental coverage.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roodoo2
no offense Quntin, but all of your statements reinforce my point about dealerships now days. There was a time, not too long ago, they would bend over backwards to keep the customer pleased (and continue buying Fords) on these type problems. Now it seems like they have pulled all the favors, juggled warrenty claims, and swept bad parts under the rug.. that they can do. Companies have finally caught on to all the service manager tricks and have made it impossible to fix warrenty claims painlessly for the customer.
It's a terrible and bloody truth. Dealers can't bend over backwards to try to help people out. I can just about guarantee that should the OP's dealer replaced the cylinder head in question 'cause it needed a cam, and Ford called for the old cylinder head, inspected it, and determined that a camshaft would have fixed it, the claim would be charged back to the dealership in a big hurry. It's not like they're trying to burn the guy, it's that if they don't follow procedures to the T, the hammer's gonna fall on them.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
ok quintin- it is now September 17th and still no cam, and still no fix. I have talked to ford multiple times, adn talked to the CSM center and now my dealership is telling me they are willing to buy back my rig....if i buy a new 2008 XLT, stepping down from the laramie.

If I didnt know any better i would say you worked at one of Ford's CSM centers. You sound just like Sabrina, my CSM rep that i am dealing with. I asked them when they expected the cam and she said maybe late November or mid December. It is made by another company for Ford, and they are having issues getting the components. Now, in my business, if a supplier cant get a component we need, we go to another supplier. I asked the rep about this and she said that Ford is doing all that they are going to do, and i could POUND SAND!!! Her words....no lie!!! I asked abotu what they were going to do to make this right by me and she said not a damned thing......her words.

I have since reviewed my Extended Waraqnty contract, and it states that they have XX number of days to fix or replace the problem part. I consulted my lawyer and he read it and advised me to call the Better Business Bureau, and we could seek a suit for breech of contract.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM
i think what Quintin is trying to say is you guys need to realize it is not up to the dealership....i know this also because i am a fourth year apprentice at the local dealer. you cannot replace parts if their is nothing wrong with them. on a warranty claim all parts are sent back to the warranty nazzis and inspected. if they get a part returned to them that did not need to be replaced it is denied the claim and comes out of the dealerships pocket. you can complain to the dealer all you want and it may seem like they dont care, but the truth is their REALLY IS nothing they can do.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 AM
i have no beef with the dealership here guys, come on. My beef is with FOMOCO. You cant tell me that since 24 July that they havent made a camshaft for an '04 5.4 triple valve.

The gal at FOMOCO CSM told me that there is not a cam available. This tells me one of two things. Either they did not make sufficient parts supplies available, or there is an issue with the roller rockers and cams here. How many others have had the issues i am having is my question.

I aint had my truck since 24 July. It is now 18 September, 2008. I am thinking that there needs to be some sort of getting a boot in somebodys backside going on here. If the supplier cant get the cam, go to another supplier, obviously the first supplier either made a faulty part or they were not prepared to have this issue.

Guys, What i am getting at here is i am making payments on something i cant get to. I know it is part of ownership, however an owner expects repairs to be made in a timely manner, and if they cant be then provide a suitable excuse other than "your part is on order and that is all we can do".

Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Is this extended warranty a Ford ESP? If so, have they given you a rental? Time to reread the contract. If they give you a rental, let the system play out.

I thought a Laramie was a Dodge?

You may want to consider a buyout if the numbers look good. As you are finding out, 04 wasn't a particularly good year for the 5.4.

Quick Reply: '04 camshaft right side