2007 remote start malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 remote start malfunction

A new recent issue with my truck, the remote start ( OEM ) goes through its sequence, but the starter does not start the truck. Instead, the horn chirps back. When I unlock, everything inside is on as if the entire truck was running. If I turn the key to start, it does nothing. First time this happened was at work two weeks ago after a big snow storm. I had to remove the negative terminal to 'refresh' the system and start by ignition key.

I recently found that if I hold the remote start button again as if I was shutting the engine down after starting it by remote, it shuts everything down and I can unlock it and proceed to start the truck normally by ignition key. So pretty much, the starter is not cranking the engine by remote start. Any possible ideas as to what it is?

I did a search, found things like if the fuel is too low it wont start, or if the hood is open it also won't start, blown fuses, none of this is the issue. I did have the battery removed from the truck and inside my home to help it hold a charge rather than dieing from being disconnected and out in the freezing temps. The morning I put it back in it started by remote no issues, about a 5 degree morning. Later that afternoon ( low 20s ) it did not start by remote. This posting caught my attention, https://www.f150online.com/forums/5047707-post7.html but I don't want anything not operating as it was intended to. Thanks for any possible advice.

Here is a video of the issue.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is strange that it worked in the morning, but not later that day. Have you messed with any of the system's wires lately, or change any of the programming settings?

maybe the brain unit did die, but I never had that issue with the Ford rmst systems in my trucks (5 years of use each truck).

In a Ford troubleshooting file I have, it listed this:

Q – Ignition turns on then off but no crank?
· Check connections on violet and violet /red wires.
· Check to see if the Securilok Interface Kit is programmed correctly.
· Check A-4 and B-2 red wires, both should have battery 12volts (+).

Q – PATS light comes on and vehicle won’t remote start?
· Make sure the Securilok Interface Kit is programmed correctly.
· Check antenna ring mounting around ignition cylinder.
· Make sure that you have the correct PATS bypass kit for your vehicle.
· Make sure that PATS bypass kit is plugged into the correct location.

Did you check the fuses inside the rmst brain unit?
I would then check the PATS antenna ring around the ignition cylinder to make sure its not coming loose, and then I would try to reprogram the PATS bypass kit (need both truck keys).

A. Sitting in the driver seat, be prepared to press the brake pedal to shut down the remote starter system.
B. Using the first key, turn the ignition on, wait for the THEFT light to turn off, then turn the ignition off and remove key from the ignition switch.
C. Using the second key, turn the ignition on, wait for the THEFT light to turn off, then turn the ignition off and remove key from the ignition switch.
D. Activate the remote start function using the PowerCode remote control transmitter.
The system should flash the parking lights and chirp the horn one time, pause for four
seconds then start then start the engine.
E. After the engine is started. Press the brake pedal to shutdown the engine.
The Securilock interface is now programmed.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 AM

Did not know there was a fuse inside the brain unit. Where is this unit located?

I am slightly concerned about it being a wire contact issue as it stays parked in my garage for periods of time in winter so a mouse could have nibbled something.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
the brain unit is a square black box that should be tucked up under the driver's side of the dash. There's actually a couple of fuses in there, and if you pull them out, make sure to note which jumper terminals they are plugged into so you plug them back into the same ones.

but first I would try reprogramming the PATS (Securilok) bypass kit with the instructions I posted using your two master truck keys. and pull of the plastic shroud around the steering column to make sure the PATS antenna ring is still sticking to the ignition cylinder.

usually when these systems have issues it honks back between 2 and 5 honks, and the tech manual indicates what the problem is based on the number of honks. but I only hear just the single honk after trying to remote start in your video.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:07 AM
here's some files you can read up on, your system is the RKE/VSS/RMST indicated in the files, also called the Gold system.

basic install file:
http://documents.codesystems.com/701138.pdf

troubleshooting (number of honks)
http://documents.codesystems.com/701191.pdf

2007/2008 truck specific wiring diagram and fuse placement (yours is RKE/VSS/RMST)
http://documents.codesystems.com/701193.pdf

owners manual for your system
http://documents.codesystems.com/712300.pdf

if you can't get it working after trying the things I suggested, you can try calling 1-800-Ford-Key, they are the tech line for these systems and maybe they can help you.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 01-14-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Darren on a side note (since I can't help with your issue)

Do you have a key somewhere under your dash that Ford put in there when they installed the remote start?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 AM
^the Ford systems doesn't require a key under the dash like some aftermarket systems. It has the PATS bypass kit which is a little transponder box that plugs into the remote start brain unit and also has an antenna ring that goes around ignition cylinder. You program it with the two keys that come with the truck, so it's like having a 3rd key in your truck but not really.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
^the Ford systems doesn't require a key under the dash like some aftermarket systems. It has the PATS bypass kit which is a little transponder box that plugs into the remote start brain unit and also has an antenna ring that goes around ignition cylinder. You program it with the two keys that come with the truck, so it's like having a 3rd key in your truck but not really.
I went to my dealer the other day and they said that there would be a key needed to go under my dash .... I thought that was a little funky for a supposed OEM instal

What do I do now? I really would like to keep my three button remote too and just hit say the lock button three times .... why can't they do this. They were able to do it to my friends 08 exploder

Thanks for the info Steve!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM
anything that requires an extra key under the dash has to be some type of aftermarket systems, OEM Ford does not. I don't have much experience with aftermarket systems. Try some aftermarket stereo/car alarm shops near you and see if they have something like that where you can still use your factory keyless entry remote, they should.

also I'm not an installer either, I've just been tinkering with the Ford OEM remote start systems since 2002.

If you want a Ford OEM system that just uses one remote, then you need the Gold system like Darren has (you can see the remote fob in his video). I had the same system installed in my 2009 truck. You do have to splice all the wires into your truck. You can see the wiring diagram in the one link I posted above.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 AM

Old 01-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Darren, did you try/check the things I suggested? any update?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
There is a chance that there is a broken wire in that antenna...the same thing happened to my 07 when I had it. The antenna unit can be purchased from the dealer for around $35 +-, can't remember the part # though, sorry.........FOUND IT ! Part # 8L3Z-19G365-BA Interface kit

Last edited by sam1947; 01-21-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Part #
Old 04-16-2014, 01:43 AM
This is a dated thread, but I just had this problem with my 07 F150 in which I installed an OEM RKE/VSS/RMST unit so that I could have the door lock/unlock and remote start on only one fob.

I had the same situation as the OP. I solved the problem by reprogramming the PATS bypass unit. To do this you must have two keys that are programmed for your vehicle.

1. Insert Key 1, turn key to the on position and wait for red status light to turn off (the red light that is on the top of your dash and is in a smoke coloured bubble).
2. Remove Key 1 and Insert Key 2. Turn key to the on position and wait for red status light to turn off.
3. Remove key. Press and hold the engine start button on one of the fobs.

Note:
You must turn off Key 1 and insert Key 2 within 5 seconds.
You must turn off Key 2 and hold the remote start button within 5 seconds.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by i_tys
This is a dated thread, but I just had this problem with my 07 F150 in which I installed an OEM RKE/VSS/RMST unit so that I could have the door lock/unlock and remote start on only one fob.

I had the same situation as the OP. I solved the problem by reprogramming the PATS bypass unit. To do this you must have two keys that are programmed for your vehicle.

1. Insert Key 1, turn key to the on position and wait for red status light to turn off (the red light that is on the top of your dash and is in a smoke coloured bubble).
2. Remove Key 1 and Insert Key 2. Turn key to the on position and wait for red status light to turn off.
3. Remove key. Press and hold the engine start button on one of the fobs.

Note:
You must turn off Key 1 and insert Key 2 within 5 seconds.
You must turn off Key 2 and hold the remote start button within 5 seconds.

Just tried this, didn't work for me unfortunately. I will just have to have the dealer take a peak at it when they fix the manifold.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread but I had similar issues of lights flashing and honk but no cranking (it would honk 5 tomes)and I just did the pats secure lock interface reprogram on my 04 navigator and the truck truck started afterwards. However it seems to not remember it cause the next time you try to command start it it doesn't work but will work if I reprogram while sitting in it. Everything else looks good ring wise

Quick Reply: 2007 remote start malfunction