Anybody Got an Anti-Theft Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Got an Anti-Theft Kill Switch

With all the truck thefts I'm starting to think this is a good idea. I have an alarm with starter kill now but I like the idea of putting a kill switch on my electric fuel pump. My 98 doesn't have a PATS system, at least I dont think it does. A pro most likely could disable my alarm pretty quick by smashing the window and popping the hood and disabling the siren.

I'm thinking if the fuel pump has a hidden switch it might help. I'd like a switch that wont work unless the ignition is ON and one that has to be reset everytime prior to starting - so it can't be left in the On position.

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:35 PM
Your truck already has a kill switch for the fuel pump. The inertia switch located behind the passenger side kick panel will disable the fuel pump in the event of a crash. If you disconnect the power plug from the switch before leaving the vehicle you disable the pump. The advantage is that you don't affect the on-board computer and screw up your fuel settings etc. like you would if you had disconnected the battery.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Like flafonman said, the inertia switch would be the likely choice for this. If it were me, that's what I would do.

Although I wouldn't bother with disconnecting and then reconnecting repeatedly. You can get a small toggle switch or rocker switch and mount it wherever you wanted. Because all you would be doing is opening the circuit by turning it on and closing the circuit when turned off.
And it is only feeding voltage to the fuel pump whenever the ignition is switched on so that would be the ideal anti-theft device!!

Just grab a test light and find the wire to that switch that lights up for just a few seconds when the key is switched to the on position and then cut it and wire in your on/off switch.

Good Luck!!

FordMasterTech

Old 06-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
FordMasterTech called it with the toggle.

I have not done it to the latest truck, or the Cobra. But I have done it to 3 previous F-Series.

Here's one thing to note regarding the toggle. Most toggles will only be for 15 amp continuous duty. I have had it work for 1 year or 1 month. I would replace them when they failed. Everything worked great.

Then I got a little electrically educated. The amperage going to the inertia switch is +/-22 amps.(your's may vary)

To aide in switch longevity you will want to use a relay. The small bosch type relay works good for this.

You can run the relay in the cab, and with a good marine toggle(sealed), you can mount it under the fender, bumper, or where ever, so a thief will be slowed in stealing the truck.

Mike

Old 06-12-2003, 01:46 PM
I found a link showing pictures of this kill switch splice.

What do you think about putting 2 switches in series in different places? Even if one switch was found it still wouldn't work unless you had both in the proper position.

Kill Switch Splice Pics

Old 06-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I installed a cut-off switch this AM.

Radio Shack sells a heavy duty 12 Volt, 30 Amp illuminated rocker-type switch for less than $4.

You don't have to connect the illumination (I didn't) and it can safely handle the amperage going to the pump.

I used split loom over all the wiring and routed it behind and within the factory harness so, unless you know what it is you are looking for, you would not know it has been modded.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:20 PM
Congrads on your successful mod!!

FordMasterTech

Quick Reply: Anybody Got an Anti-Theft Kill Switch