Edge tuner issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge tuner issue

I just got a new Edge Evolution programer and put it in my truck last night. Its a 2007 4.6 crew cab. I did a gear change a few weeks ago to help with towing and was wanting to us the programer to fix the speedo and hoped to get better throttle response and shifting. In the stock mode everything works fine, if I install any of the other tunes I get the P061b code as soon as I touch the throttle in gear. Whats crazy is in park it revs great and seems so much cleaner but when I try and drive it it goes into limp mode. I have searched and see alot of this issue but dont see any real fixes, anyone point me in the right direction?

I did clean the throttle plates just in case but that didnt cure it.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Are you sure you entered the correct gears? Are your tires stock or taller?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
To add to Jim's post, if you opened the Custom Options menu to change the Fear Ratio (GR), you will almost certainly have to enter a valid number for the Tire Size (TS). This is because any time you use that menu, Edge loads "placeholder values" for GR and TS instead of what is actually on the truck. And, it does this each and every time you reopen the Custom Options menu. So, when you reopen the menu and scroll to GR, don't be surprised to see the original value there instead of the one you entered for the new gears.

You can make it show the new values you entered if you scroll to "Reload Previous Settings" as the FIRST action you do upon opening that menu.

If this doesn't help your problem, call Edge Tech Support.

- Jack

Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
I have tried it both ways. I have used the canned tune and then also did the custom to change the gear ration and tire size. As soon as I out it in gear and touch the throttle bang, i get the code. Thanks for the replies, I plan on calling Edge on Monday but was hoping this was something easy to fix.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 PM
Global Moderator &

When I posted before, I was working on my laptop and didn't have access to a couple of files that I have now looked at.

The P061b code is "Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance", which you probably already knew, but it seems to be associated mostly with 4.6L engines, and, it puts you into "Limp Home Mode". And, for some reason, it shows up when you try to apply a tune with an Edge programmer.

I don't know if Edge will be able to help you but if not, Bill Cohron at Power Hungry Performance can write a custom tune for you that will stop this from happening. It will cost you $60.00 for the tune. Here's a link to their website: http://phptune.com/. They're on Eastern time and it is sometimes hard to get a response to a telephone call, but keep trying till you do.

However, Edge MAY have a solution to this, so try them first.

- Jack

Old 04-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Another little tidbit of info, I messed with it more today just trying different TS and GR to see if it would get any better. I noticed that it does not trip the code when in reverse, I can hit the throttle pretty hard and no codes, if I let it idle in forward gear it is fine but touch the pedal and it sets the code instantly. Does that make any sense? I will be highly disappointed if I have to get a custom tune on top of buying the Edge unit especially when i dont have any other mods to my truck.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That $60 would be well spent. A tune specifically for your trucks strategy will be much better. I put 30,000 on a canned tune before giving in and wished I had ordered the custom tune much sooner.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Global Moderator &

As I said earlier, this seems to be some interaction between Edge canned tunes and the 4.6L base tune. I'd be somewhat surprised if Edge has not realized this by now and has issued a "fix". But, call them and see what they have to say.

I know you'll find it hard to fork over another $60 for a custom tune, but as Jim said, I think you'll be happy you did in time. I know I certainly was much happier with my custom tunes compared to the canned ones.

When I got my first custom tune (a towing tune) I immediately set out on a 2000 mile towing trip. I calculated that I almost paid for that tune with improved gas mileage in that trip. "Regular" gas was averaging over $4.00/gal at the time. So, everything after that was gravy.

- Jack

Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Well I called Edge today and they said they havent heard of this issue for 2 years. the guy I talked to said the biggest issue is the throttle blades are dirty. I cleaned mine a few months ago and also did it again this past weekend so I know they are pretty clean. He wants me to load the level 2 tune and connect it to the Fusion software so they can see the files but I dont see me getting anywhere.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Do what he said to do. You'll get nowhere if you don't. I agree, the 4.6L engine issue is an old one, that's why I thought they would have a fix. He needs to see your files.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 04-21-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies Jack, I sent them the files as they requested and called them back. They said they reviewed them and everything looks to be normal and think it is either the throttle body or I dont have an updated flash from Ford.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Global Moderator &

The updated flash MAY be the problem. This was talked about in PHP's forum back when it was an issue a couple years ago. Since you cleaned the TB, I'd ask your dealer about it. Sadly though, I suspect you have to pay something for it.

- Jack

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Just thought i would drop and update on this. I was able to find someone local that could check the calibration on my truck. He said it had the most current one in it. I called Edge and they wanted me to put one of the canned tunes in the truck and try and drive it again. Then once it set the code to put it back to stock and reconnect it to the Fusion software. i did this a week ago. i called today since i haven't heard from them. They said everything with there tune is correct and it must be my truck. Funny thing is I drove about 1500 miles this past weekend towing a trailer and had no issues. Of course that was in the stock tune. I just cant see that I have no issues until the tune is installed and it not being from the unit or the communication between it and the truck.

If i go with a custom tune can I still then adjust for the gear ratio and tire size or will I have to have it custom tuned every time I make a change? Does anything have to be done to the unit before it can accept custom tunes?

Old 05-09-2014, 12:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 4v4eye
Just thought i would drop and update on this. I was able to find someone local that could check the calibration on my truck. He said it had the most current one in it. I called Edge and they wanted me to put one of the canned tunes in the truck and try and drive it again. Then once it set the code to put it back to stock and reconnect it to the Fusion software. i did this a week ago. i called today since i haven't heard from them. They said everything with there tune is correct and it must be my truck. Funny thing is I drove about 1500 miles this past weekend towing a trailer and had no issues. Of course that was in the stock tune. I just cant see that I have no issues until the tune is installed and it not being from the unit or the communication between it and the truck.

If i go with a custom tune can I still then adjust for the gear ratio and tire size or will I have to have it custom tuned every time I make a change? Does anything have to be done to the unit before it can accept custom tunes?
Nothing has to be done to the programmer to have custom tunes loaded on it. You download an app called Pegasus from PHP and when your custom tunes are ready, you simply set your truck to stock (if it's not already there), then connect the programmer to your PC with Pegasus running and it will install the custom tune(s) onto the programmer. Then you can connect it to the truck and try things with the custom tune(s).

Yes, you can still change the GR and TS even if you have custom tunes. But, Bill can set those for you in the tunes if you tell him what you have, which makes things simpler. And, if you later change the GR or TS, you can manually reset them using Custom Options.

Make SURE Bill knows everything about your truck and what you are looking for in a tune if you order a tune from him! Also, make sure he knows about it setting a code using the canned tunes.

- Jack

Quick Reply: Edge tuner issue