Edge Evolution 05 f150 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you want to bump your octane say to 91 or 93 you bump the timing correct. I have no Idea and have been confused by this for months with no explanation I just bumped my timing up 2 and it feels more responsive, but I do not want to f my truck up

Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ffemt000546
when you want to bump your octane say to 91 or 93 you bump the timing correct. I have no Idea and have been confused by this for months with no explanation I just bumped my timing up 2 and it feels more responsive, but I do not want to f my truck up
Hi.

There are some posts around from some other Edge owners that explain it well. Search. Here's a couple.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...11&postcount=2

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...20&postcount=3

The key is small increments, but be aware of the following;

The knock sensor system in these trucks is really good; you may not even hear detonation because the system reacts so fast. However, what it is doing is actually pulling timing out ( retarding it). So what you are actually accomplishing by arbitrarily adding too much advance, is losing power, not gaining it.

This is one reason folks should not casually change these things unless it's accompanied by the data to support 1> the need to change it, 2> the effects of the change. Read the info from Mike in the second link. You can also call him to discss further.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 03-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
The knock sensor system in these trucks is really good; you may not even hear detonation because the system reacts so fast. However, what it is doing is actually pulling timing out ( retarding it). So what you are actually accomplishing by arbitrarily adding too much advance, is losing power, not gaining it.
Ok, i've had the shudder issue with my Edge since I first installed it as well, and this sounds the most like what I have been feeling. The truck does not seem to matter if it's in 3rd w/converter locked or 4th, I still feel a hesitation like timing is being pulled or it isn't getting enough fuel or something. Tranny dosen't go hunting for gear, in & out of O/D, locking or unlocking the converter, and it just dosen't feel like a trans issue when driving. Unless the converter is partially locking/unlocking, and wouldn't this result in the RPM's jumping around a bit (which mine dosent do). Just a split second hesitation. It seems to go away when I give it more gas, but crusing it's a real annoyance. It makes sense that if the tune is too aggressive, and the truck is getting knock, and the ECM is pulling timing back as a result. This is always what i've suspected, as the hesitation seemed to get a little better when I ran a bottle of octane booster.

I really like the Edge for the added power, throttle response, and gauge options, but it's very annoying to not be able to use it to it's full potential.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by sikryd
No, if it did I would not be asking these questions
Yes very enlightening,not your typical way to answer someone who is trying to help you out..

Old 03-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Just experienced this today. I had my cruise set at about 67 and my truck started to shutter. I thought it was the tranny hunting between 3rd and overdrive. I removed level two went to stock and them from stock I went to level one and did not have the same issues. Sux, I need to read the links above that were posted. This may be getting returned.

I read one post on shuddering and the person said they thought they had it but the computer was learning the new tune. Any truth to this? this was my first highway trip of more than a couple miles. Probably have about 100 on the edge now. 70 miles with it at level 2 and now 30 with it at level 1. Level 2 was definately more responsive and a noticeable difference.

My manufacture date was 2/28/07 wondering I need to do an update?

Last edited by goldmember; 03-31-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:43 AM
Goodness. Sounds like I don't ever need to run level 3. I just put my Edge on yesterday and so far I'm loving level 2. It has a lot more responsiveness daily driving.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:01 AM
I tried level 3 yesterday in my 05 FX4 and when I floored the throttle, the engine fell flat in its face. I had just filled up with 3/4 tank 93 and 1/4 tank 87. I had added 1.5 timing to the L3. I suspect the knock sensors pulled the timing under WOT. I put in back to L2 and it goes like stink. I think L2 is the best all around for.

DG

Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dg512055
I tried level 3 yesterday in my 05 FX4 and when I floored the throttle, the engine fell flat in its face. I had just filled up with 3/4 tank 93 and 1/4 tank 87. I had added 1.5 timing to the L3. I suspect the knock sensors pulled the timing under WOT. I put in back to L2 and it goes like stink. I think L2 is the best all around for.

DG
Hi.

Yup. Part of your problem ( if not all of it) is the 1/4 tank of 87. You MUST drive until your low fuel light comes on before switching octanes.

As it is now, you are nowhere near 93 in your tank - and you also added timing on top of this. What do you expect will happen?

Try L3 at the default 91 oct setting, or even bump it a little lower if you can.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 04-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Everyone that has the Edge has had the shudder problem on Level 3 then or is it just some you the people that has this problem?

Old 04-01-2007, 12:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some have it, some don't. I have it.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution 05 f150 5.4L