Tips on protection from egging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips on protection from egging?

No, not a joke. I live an a neighborhood that has had a problem for decades with egging. Other than getting thrown in jail myself for using basic home defense items on a high schooler, I'd like to know if there are any ideas out there for what I can do to protect the finish ahead of time. Also any suggestions as to how to best get it off completely and reprotect the finish.

Apparently there is also a newer "fun" they are doing that involves syrup.

I'll buy a truck cover for known times like class wars and Halloween, but I don't feel like dealing with that on a daily basis. Still have a few other vehicles to consider as well. Thanks in advance...

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Best protection is a good coat of a name brand synthetic wax. The sooner after the egging you wash it, the better it will come off. If washing it doesn't do the job, mix up a bucket of laundry detergent that has enzymes. Soak rags in it and lay them over the egg for 15 minutes to soften it. Then use a grout sponge with the detergent to gently wash it.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
garage, park it out of sight, or as glc has posted wax.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by tamohawk
No, not a joke. I live an a neighborhood that has had a problem for decades with egging. Other than getting thrown in jail myself for using basic home defense items on a high schooler, I'd like to know if there are any ideas out there for what I can do to protect the finish ahead of time. Also any suggestions as to how to best get it off completely and reprotect the finish.

I'll buy a truck cover for known times like class wars and Halloween, but I don't feel like dealing with that on a daily basis. Still have a few other vehicles to consider as well. Thanks in advance...
Honestly if these kids are out there egging and stuff like that...and you have a truck cover on your truck.....they are just going to want to do MORE stuff to your truck. only forseeable way to prevent it is to park it inside somewhere, or have a motion light...but thn again its only a matter of time before they figure out that to

Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or, you could 'camp out' dressed as a scarecrow on your front porch with your own eggs...

Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Park somewhere far, far away where you know there won't be people.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tamohawk

I would definitely look into getting a wireless security camera (they are not that expensive) mounted in a place that is well known but hard to reach. For paint protection, this is an acrylic paint sealant and is typically sold to dealers. It is very good as far as my personal experience with bird crap (including sea gulls) and nothing really likes to stick to it.

Link http://www.prowax.com/paint_sealants...t_Sealant.html

You can apply it by hand or machine.....it loves heat....after you apply it, let it sit out in direct sunlight (I know it sounds crazy but it works) and it wipes off very easily. The spec's say 1 coat, I would apply 2 coats, wait 1 week 9it takes that long to completely cure- you will smell what I mean) & then apply one more coat.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motion sensing robotic paintball turret maybe? That should discourage them if they come home covered with paint splotches and welts to show for their efforts...

Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with the cover. Its just asking for more trouble because then they will know you really care about your truck, which in turn makes the kids more likely to hit it. Their faces will light up when they see the cover.

As to what others have mentioned, parking the vehicles else where, security camera (even a temporary one), or even doing a stake out are all good options.

Using a high quality wax or sealant, Collinite 845, Duragloss 105, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, etc..., may help a little at possibly reducing staining, but likely not much. Even permanent coatings like Opti-Coat aren't egg proof. Still better still have something on the paint than nothing. But yes, the sooner you wash it off the better. Any staining will likely need polish or compound to remove.

The paint staining isn't going to be the biggest issue though, its the fracturing (chipping) of the clear coat from the egg shell that will be the worst.

Name:  Egg-damage.gif
Views: 2744
Size:  343.8 KB

Last edited by Chris's FX4; 10-17-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks all.
glc - solid info, appreciate it.

beechkid - am seriously thinking about the camera. Not going to prevent, but may help catch 'em. Will also come in handy for an instantly viral video of the offenders getting pasted by the motion sensing robotic paintball turret (thanks dbhost).

And definitely going to save the money and not by the cover...

Old 10-20-2012, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=Chris's FX4;4909395]

The paint staining isn't going to be the biggest issue though, its the fracturing (chipping) of the clear coat from the egg shell that will be the worst.

Wow, that is horrible. Fortunately these kids are mostly after each other and throw a few dozen extra throughout the neighborhood, but not with that kind of force. Biggest issue so far was missing a spot once and it left a dull area.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Shoot the first little SOB that winds up for a pitch and the rest of them will flinch when they here an egg cracking over a skillet a year later... Ok, maybe a bit extreme, park it in the back yard
If you can, or at least as far out of sight as possible, or just wrap that
Sucker in some shrink wrap!

Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

You can be a cool neighbor to the kids in your area,give out good candy,or just sit in the front yard with your own eggs!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 PM
park in the garage

Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Once,when a neighborhood man that did not like trick or treaters,we fixed him.We got a huge garbage can filled with water and leaned it up against his door.We rang the doorbell and ran.I bet he is still mopping up water today!

Quick Reply: Tips on protection from egging?