Seats and Dash care--Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Care for 2004 Lariat SCrew

I just picked up my new 2004 Lariat SCrew and was looking for advice on cleaning the interior. As I understand it, the seats are part Leather and part vinyl. What is a good product for cleaner both of these materials without having to buy 2 separate cleaners. I say the Meguiars Leather cleaner and conditioner, but wasn't sure if it could also be used on the vinyl portions.

Also, what is good for cleaning and protecting the dash and center consoles of the new 2004 F-150s?

Any help would be great.

THanks.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Seats and Dash care--Help Please

I just picked up my new 2004 Lariat SCrew and was looking for advice on cleaning the interior. As I understand it, the seats are part Leather and part vinyl. What is a good product for cleaner both of these materials without having to buy 2 separate cleaners. I saw the Meguiars Leather cleaner and conditioner, but wasn't sure if it could also be used on the vinyl portions.

Also, what is good for cleaning and protecting the dash and center consoles of the new 2004 F-150s?

Any help would be great.

THanks.

Old 04-16-2004, 07:58 AM
Hi vtn98,

Try not to post the same question in multiple forums. Many of us surf through a bunch of forums and your questions will get answered...

In my opinion, the best "cleaner" for all of the seating surfaces (and steering wheel) is hot water on a good quality cotton towel. RockPick had a very helpful post about this method here.

You should be able to use the Meguiars on both the leather and vinyl surfaces. You'll just want to make sure that you remove any excess. I use the Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner. I like the results of the conditioner and find that I seldom need to use the cleaner after the hot water cleaning.

For cleaning the dash and other plastic areas, I also start with warm water. I don't use protectrant each time, but will occasionally use Vinylex on those parts and Plexus on any clear plastic.

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 04-16-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,

I have been reading alot of your answers and I think we should have an ask John Forum....J/K

You seem to have all the answers, and in a professional manner. That's great...thnx and keep it up.

Hi vtn98,

I use Meguiars as well. I am not too familiar with it, I just started using this product, but it seems to be working pretty good so far.

-James

Old 04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Meguiar's products are tried and true and I think you'll have very good luck with them. I wouldn't be overly worried about them being pleather and leather... they'll work fine either way.

My personal opinion about dash care is very simple. Keep it clean with a damp cloth and, if your heart desires a shine or matte finish to keep it looking new, go with a product like Meguiar's #40 or NXT Protectant. Wipe the product on using a foam applicator and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Next, follow over the same area with a microfiber towel (or similar) and remove the excess. For me, this provides the dash with a 'like new' look that lasts for a long time. I only go through this procedure once or twice every 6 months and it works great.

RP

Last edited by Rockpick; 04-16-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Merged with similar post in General Care by same user...

Old 04-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by jamzwayne
John,

I have been reading alot of your answers and I think we should have an ask John Forum....J/K

You seem to have all the answers, and in a professional manner. That's great...thnx and keep it up.

-James
LOL..actually when it comes to General Care issues, I consider RockPick and Boss_429 to be the online "Professors", while I am still a "student" trying to broaden my knowledge. I've learned a lot from other members here, especially those two, who not only take the time to try new products for their vehicles, but also then share their experience with the rest of us. Thanks RP and Boss.

John

Old 04-16-2004, 10:09 AM
There's an interior shop in the Chicago area that's been in business for over 75 years. They do excellent work...so I asked them what was the best leather care products. They said Lexol. I've been using it for years and it works great. The cleaner even takes those nasty stains off of a leather steering wheel. They now make a vinyl care product, but I havn't tried it. I don't like the slimey-look that Armorall leaves, so I just use water or glass cleaner on my dash. Never had any problems. A little 409 will clean any bad dirt from the door panels...again, no problems through the years doing this, but I don't know how good it is for the plastic.

MR

Quick Reply: Seats and Dash care--Help Please