Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Care

I recently bought a 2k4 Super Crew Lariat and am wondering how to protect the leather. Should I do some kind of leather conditioning now, every six months what's the verdict?

If anyone can recommend a good interior protectant / cleaner I would appreciate that also.

HouTexs

Old 02-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are a few important points to make here.

First, the leather inside all Ford products (minus the King Ranch Edition) is clearcoated. This means that the leather has a coating over the top to protect it from dirt, spills, stains, and general wear. The clearcoating on the leather *IS PORUS* and thus, you need to make sure to keep the seats conditioned and cleaned.

To directly answer your question, I think you'll have GREAT luck with Lexol products however; I don't recommend the cleaner for non-clearcoated leathers.

To clean your leather, start by getting a 100% cotton-terry high pile towel and dampen it with HOT water. Agitate the leather slightly so that you remove all of the surface grime. While the leather is still slightly warm, go over the leather with Lexol's pH Balanced Leather Cleaner. This will work to remove the goop that may be located in the pores of the clear/leather.

Finally, follow up with a coat of Lexol's Conditioner (brown bottle). I recommend applying this by hand as you'll get better coverage and the product is going on the leather where it's intended to go rather than on the towel.

Frequency will vary upon your individual environmental conditions and wear that you put on the truck's seats.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask... Also, welcome to f150online.com!

RP

Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Houtexs,

I've got a 2004 Lariat SuperCrew with the Tan leather seats. If you haven't found out already, these seats get dirty fairly easily. (Try wearing new blue jeans in them...)

I will attest that RockPick's advice is great. I've started using the hot water (learned from RP in another thread) on the towel followed by Lexol leather cleaner (usually don't need much), then the Lexol conditioner. I try to clean and condition my truck's seats every 2 to 3 weeks (I also vacuum and clean the floormats and interior windows at the same time). The Lexol does seem to give the leather a more soft and supple feel than it had before.

RockPick - Your posts are always very helpful. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it!

Old 02-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JohnAndDar
RockPick - Your posts are always very helpful. Thanks!
No problem man... glad to have helped out....

RP

Quick Reply: Leather Care