Bak Roll-X after 3.5 years of light use

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bak Roll-X after 3.5 years of light use

Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
That's a shame. I'd guess the fabric failed due to UV exposure from the sun, but I wonder what caused the distortion in the frame?

Anyway, if and when you replace it, I'd sure look for one that doesn't have fabric in its construction.

- Jack

Old 07-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks. I just actually put one on my truck about 3 months ago.

Doesn't look uv damaged to me, color is still there. Did you ever put stuff on top of it? Or, if it was rolled /unrolled a lot I could see that happening. Is there a warranty? I didn't look.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 PM
No stuff on top. Top was used maybe twice a month.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Actually, in looking at the pictures again, it appears the fabric has shrunk, pulling it out of the edging. This may be due to being repeatedly wet and then drying, and again, I'd think the sun has weakened it too.

Stay away from fabric. Even SunBrella won't last more than about 6 years if in the sun constantly.

- Jack

Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Why are the back side pieces bent up? I looked at these years ago but went with a retrax back then. It lasted 9 years and was still on the truck when I sold it last year.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by tnpete
Why are the back side pieces bent up? I looked at these years ago but went with a retrax back then. It lasted 9 years and was still on the truck when I sold it last year.
The aluminium cover has came apart near the back also. That is why it will not lay flat.
This thing is JUNK.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put in a warranty claim, maybe they'll send you a new one. I've also talked to companies with products officially out of warranty and they replaced them anyway. Just talk to them, if the service rep is a bonehead talk to his supervisor, and they usually are more apt to help you out. If they don't, tell them with your experience with the product you will never buy a backflip again and definitely tell your friends of this bad experience. Having a cover fail like that after a short time, if I was the manufacturer, I would replace it. Here is the info from website:

Defects & Warranty Policy

At times there will be products that fail due to a manufacturer defect. We honors all warranties provided by the individual manufacturers. Generally, warranties cover defects in materials and workmanship. Manufacturers will replace the parts or exchange them, at their discretion, upon proof of warranty issues. Warranties do not cover damage resulting from normal wear and tear, accident, misuse, neglect, improper installation, fire, vandalism, act of God, or any form of abuse. Labor and shipping are not covered under any warranty. This is the responsibility of the customer.

Please contact customer service for more specific details.

How do I make a warranty claim?

To make a warranty claim please follow these steps:
1.Call Customer Service at 1- 855-294-1351. Let us know the part number, order number, and the specific defect.
2.Once we confirm the date the item was purchased and determine if the item is still under the manufacturer’s warranty time limit, we will ask you for a brief description of the defect. Digital photos of any damage or defects are always helpful and are sometimes necessary for the manufacturer to evaluate the damage and determine the best course of action. (Repair/Replace/Return).
3.If the manufacturer determines that a product needs to be returned, please pack your return in a sturdy shipping carton using indestructible packing tape. Repackaging is the customer’s responsibility.

Last edited by Hawkz28; 08-03-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 AM
I installed a Bak Roll-x on my previous F-150 in May 2012. From the beginning the rubber seal on the sides shrunk, the vinyl split, the rear seal pealed up. I transferred this same cover onto my 2013 F-150 and over two years the problems worsened.

The warranty is only one year but I emailed the warranty department at Bak Industries with pictures of my cover. They sent me a new and improved Roll-x within one week via Fed Ex at no cost. Excellent customer service.

http://bakindustries.com/contact.html

Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 AM
I just installed a new Bak Roll X2. I'm very happy about how it looks. I keep my truck garaged most of the time. I hope it helps prevent shrinkage.

BAK Roll X2

Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
BAK had great customer service when I was looking for a few service parts for my Bakflip G2

Old 08-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

My BakFlip VP is already 1-1/2 yrs old and no probems yet.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Did you get in contact with BAK's customer service?
I've been looking to get one, but worried about how it'd hold up after a few years of use.

Canadian weather is not very forgiving.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by RusticBoomerang
Did you get in contact with BAK's customer service?
I've been looking to get one, but worried about how it'd hold up after a few years of use.

Canadian weather is not very forgiving.
Waiting on a response. I will let you know what happens.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Response from BAK.

Jeff,

The cover is out of the warranty and has been discontinued. What I can do is offer you a 30% any other cover we carry with free shipping for the inconvenience, please advise.

Regards,

Randy Zarazua

Warranty Manager

BAK Industries

720 Jessie St.

San Fernando CA 91340

Ph: 818-365-9000 Ext. 11

www.bakindustries.com

E-Mail Logo

Quick Reply: Bak Roll-X after 3.5 years of light use