Expedition / Navigator

Load leveling suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Load leveling suspension?

I am looking to "upgrade" from my Explorer(well, it's my wife's Explorer) to an Expedition. The .9% finance rate on a 2000 is hard to beat. My dealer wants to sell me an Eddie Bauer version with the load leveling suspension. Does anyone have this and what’s the advantage to it? Is this the same suspension that's on the Navigator?

I'm already looking at the mods available and my first plan would be to make the truck handle better. Can this suspension be modified/lowered?

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-21-2000, 02:06 AM
I have the Load Leveling Air suspension and absolutely love it. However there are no aftermarket replacement parts or suspension kits that can keep the system intact. If you plan mods I would recommend you go with the standard springs/shocks. What I like about the LLS is the smooth ride over bumps and its ability to maintain height with load. The ultimate solution for an SUV is a fully adjustable height for low c.g. on the highway and ground clearance offroad, but Ford only provides a 1.0in. adjustment for now and the aftermarket support is weak.

Old 11-21-2000, 09:54 AM
Exclamation

I feel the LLS is great. I am not sure if the EXPY comes with front and rear LLS or not but the NAV does. Best ride for a SUV. I have measured a 3 inch adjustment though. Going from a cold start to 4X4 mode. Sometimes you will get vertigo while setting at a light and all of the sudden your front end raises up a few inches. I can feel it actively correcting sway in corners as well.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. , (4) cams-32 valve Intech (Jaguar design), Cross Induction Intake Manifold, SIX (6) Bolt Mains, K&N FIPK , Superchip, True Duel Flowmaster 50 series. 2X SISO , vented out each side. Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 11-23-2000, 08:09 AM
I benefitted from LLS when I lowered my Exp. which is the opposite of what most folks do. I lowered the front 2" with Eibach springs, installed 285/60/18 Michelin Pilots and Lightning wheels and the only thing I had to do in the rear to level the vehicle was a simple reset of the height adjuster.
As for the LLS, I tested both LLS and non-LLS Exp. and much preferred the LLS.
It all depends on what your future plans are.

Old 11-23-2000, 11:36 AM
KSinLA, I think you have LLS on the rear only, correct? I guess one could remove the front airshocks on a 4 corner LLS and then rewire the ride computer for a rear only LLS. This would allow the front to be modified.

Old 11-24-2000, 09:25 AM
Yes, I have 2WD with LLS in rear only.

Old 11-29-2000, 04:17 PM
I have a 1999 Expy EB - and I love the LLS. It definitely rides more car like - but when towing it makes the trailer load correct no matter what you haul. It automatically will level the truck so it's not drooping. I've got about 25K on mine and never had a problem and I know on the EB 5.4 4x4 it's a 4 corner Load Leveling.

------------------
1999 Expedition EB, 4x4, 5.4, LLS, K&N with airbox mod, Lund Interceptor Bug Guard, Hooker 3" Chrome tip, Clear corner lenses, Mobile 1 Synthetic

Old 12-04-2000, 11:51 PM
KSinLA- You mentioned resetting the height sensor/adjuster. How is this done? My 1998 EXPY 4X4 w/ 4 corner LLS sits tail-high in normal operation. Is it possible to adjust the sensor so that the truck sits closer to level when unloaded? Do all EXPYs and NAVs with 4 corner LLS sit tail high?
BTW- This is my first post and I've only know about the site for a day, but I'm already VERY impressed. I've not come across a better forum site yet!

------------------
1998 EXPY EB 4X4 - STOCK
1975 JEEP CJ-5 - ANYTHING BUT

Old 12-05-2000, 11:12 AM
Hi 98LSRXP
Mine sits very level. I have read on this site where some people have had to have there rears LLS adjusted do to over height. You may be one of those.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. , (DOHC) cams-32 valve Intech , (6) Bolt Mains, K&N FIPK , Superchip, True Duel Flowmaster 50 series. 2X SISO , vented out each side. Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:18 AM
Yes, there is a height sensor/adjuster located under the Exp. You loosen the nut and move the adjuster up or down depending on what you want. It's located in front of the spare tire on the track bar which is the bar running parallel to and just behind the axle. The nut is located on a bracket attached to the track bar. The bracket is notched so you can move it up or down. Simple to do. It's a good idea to turn the air suspension switch to off when do this.

Old 12-08-2000, 02:10 AM
KSinLA,

You mentioned adjusting the sensor/adjuster in the rear of the Expy. Is this only to adjust the rear air bags? I have the 4 corner load leveling suspension. Is there a way to also adjust the front of the Expy? If so, can you please explain how. Thanks in advance.

Robert

Old 12-09-2000, 10:11 AM
Robert:
There is a front height sensor on the front of 4WD with LLS. It's located just above the steeering knuckle and the upper control arm and to the right of the shock housing. Oh, it's on the left side of the truck (driver's side). You may have to move the plastic wheel shroud to get to it. Again, be sure to turn the LLS switch off.

Old 12-30-2000, 01:03 PM
I looked at the height sensors at both the front and rear of my vehicle w/ 4w LLS, and was only able to see how to adjust the rear sensor. Is the front sensor adjustable, and if so, how?

------------------
1998 EXPY EB 4X4 - STOCK
1975 JEEP CJ-5 - ANYTHING BUT

Old 02-04-2001, 10:57 PM
The rearend of my 99 "appears" lower than the front. I'm guessing this is due to the difference in the fenders. I guess what I'm trying to say is that their appears to be more space between the fender and tire under the front fender than the back. Is this normal?? If I was to adjust it so that the rearend was higher, would this in anyway affect the performance of the load leveling system or my ride???

------------------
RED 93 SVT LIGHTNING #4293
99 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4X4

Old 02-04-2001, 11:47 PM
I would measure from the ground to the rocker panels or running boards near the front and near the rear. Ford sets the stock height of Expys with the rear higher than the front. If your rear is lower something must be wrong, on the other hand it may look better if it's level.

------------------
'01 EB Expy 4x4, 5.4L, 3.55LS w/tow pkg, 4 Wheel Air Suspension, Moonroof

Quick Reply: Load leveling suspension?