F150 tailgate badge removal - F150online Forums



F150 tailgate badge removal

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brecksville, Ohio
Posts: 1,228
F150 tailgate badge removal

Does anyone know how to take off the F150 emblem on the tailgate of an 04-08? I have the 09 one to put on but I can't get the old one off. The fender emblems were easy but I can't get this one to come off. Also, has anyone even put on an 09 emblem on their tailgate? The 09 emblem doesn't sit flat because it is designed to fit in the grooves on the 09 tailgates. Is there a way to make it sit flat? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NW Louisiana
Posts: 749
The 04 - 08 should remove just as you likely removed the sides - use some fishing line and heat to loosen the adhesive 3m tape until you can pull it off. Beware there are 3 alignment studs or prongs that stick out from the back of the emblem and slide into alignment holes in the tailgate.

Can't help with the 09 issues. No idea.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,310
To use an '09 emblem on our trucks you have to order the flairside tailgate badge; no grooves. Good luck, and post pics!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,121
Is removing the 03 Ford emblem the same process?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggus View Post
Is removing the 03 Ford emblem the same process?
Yes, except yours are easier.
The 97-03's do not have mounting holes.
You shouldn't have to worry about replacing the badges if you don't want to.

You know, on second thought. maybe double check that with some
97-03 guys. I'm like 99% sure, but you don't need to be rolling around with holes in your truck if I'm wrong. Maybe ask Patman, he knows basically everything on the 97-03's.

Worst case scenario, you get to do what I did and add the
"Sticker to cover holes in truck mod"





(Don't worry it's only temporary...)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,121
I'm just painting it and adding an overlay. I got my 03 emblems off, and got the 04-08 emblems painted. Will finish tomorrow, since i just read Raptor's howto on how to remove the adhesive tape. Wife bought me some 3m Heavy Duty mounting tape, hope that works.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,310
That's what I used for my Saleen Vents, so you should be good!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portland
Posts: 4,622
where are you getting your overlays?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brecksville, Ohio
Posts: 1,228
I finally have my new emblems on and painted up. Don't know what I'm doing about overlays yet but for now I like them blacked out. Was a PITA to do the F150 on the tailgate because of the grooves. I sanded at least 1/4 in. off the back of the emblem to make it flat so it would work on my tailgate and then used 3M tape to put it on. I did what Animated did and put a Summit sticker where the emblem was until it was warm enough and dry enough to put the 09 one on.

Before



After



Fender

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by animated_zombie View Post
Yes, except yours are easier.
The 97-03's do not have mounting holes.
You shouldn't have to worry about replacing the badges if you don't want to.

You know, on second thought. maybe double check that with some
97-03 guys. I'm like 99% sure, but you don't need to be rolling around with holes in your truck if I'm wrong. Maybe ask Patman, he knows basically everything on the 97-03's.
Just changed my tailgate emblem on my 2001 and it did have 2 alignment holes.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX View Post
I finally have my new emblems on and painted up. Don't know what I'm doing about overlays yet but for now I like them blacked out. Was a PITA to do the F150 on the tailgate because of the grooves. I sanded at least 1/4 in. off the back of the emblem to make it flat so it would work on my tailgate and then used 3M tape to put it on. I did what Animated did and put a Summit sticker where the emblem was until it was warm enough and dry enough to put the 09 one on.

Before



After



Fender

Looks good man I presume you got the tailgate emblem figured out? Like mentioned before, you need to order the flareside emblem.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brecksville, Ohio
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723 View Post
Looks good man I presume you got the tailgate emblem figured out? Like mentioned before, you need to order the flareside emblem.
Thanks. Does the flareside emblem sit flat on the tailgate then? Why would it be different? Doesn't matter to me now but just wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX View Post
Thanks. Does the flareside emblem sit flat on the tailgate then? Why would it be different? Doesn't matter to me now but just wondering.
Yeah, it lays flat.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 37
how are you guys painting the F150 and the Ford Emblem.. i wanna do that to my truck but im going white out. ha... never seen a white out ford yet but im gonna start my truck like that...can people help me out
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brecksville, Ohio
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05STXV8 View Post
how are you guys painting the F150 and the Ford Emblem.. i wanna do that to my truck but im going white out. ha... never seen a white out ford yet but im gonna start my truck like that...can people help me out
Get some white Krylon Fusion and go for it. Looking forward to seeing white badges. Read this and have fun, it's not hard at all to do. Remember that tape and newspaper will be your new best friends. Also spray several light coats compared to 1 or 2 heavy coats.
How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SuperTruckUSA
2015 - 2016 F-150
66
10-12-2016 09:50 PM
Big Red 5.0
Street Scene
6
02-27-2016 07:38 PM
F22c2007
2015 - 2016 F-150
10
07-22-2015 07:49 PM
ezed
V8 Engines
22
07-17-2015 02:58 PM
MDK
2004 - 2008 F-150
2
07-09-2015 10:19 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.