2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trying to make truck look nicer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to make truck look nicer

Hey guys! I have a 4x2 2013 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm trying to improve the looks of my truck. I installed subs, and got a new set of projector headlights. If y'all have any recommendations on how to make it looks better l, please let me know!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM
PTM mirror caps would be a subtle yet effective mod, lots of people do it and it seems fairly easy. I have no reason to since my truck is black.

For the Ford ovals and F150 fender/tailgate emblems, you could either get vinyl overlays (ovals) and vinyl inserts (fender/tailgate emblems) - or - PTM those as well if you're ambitious instead of the vinyl overlays/inserts. So the chrome lettering and trim would stay on the ovals, and you'd paint the blue part, and on the fender/tailgate emblems, the chrome would remain and you could paint the inner part that's currently black.

My truck is black, and the only chrome on it are the center caps of the wheels. I plastidipped my fender/tailgate badges so they're all black. Really changed the look, I love it. I also ordered some custom vinyl overlays for the Ford ovals.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:32 PM
I would say this is a pretty subjective area - for instance I think your truck looks pretty damn nice already.

Since you went with the chrome projectors it looks like you want to stay with chrome, so door handle/tailgate handle pockets, mirror caps, maybe B pillar overlays?

BTW, do you have a beam pattern photo of those projectors (against a wall and just down range)?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by toru_msb
I would say this is a pretty subjective area - for instance I think your truck looks pretty damn nice already.

Since you went with the chrome projectors it looks like you want to stay with chrome, so door handle/tailgate handle pockets, mirror caps, maybe B pillar overlays?

BTW, do you have a beam pattern photo of those projectors (against a wall and just down range)?
Hey thanks for the replies guys! For the pattern beam, i don't have a photo. I really don't know how I feel about the lights. When I got them, the left high beam would not work.. Let's just say customer support wasn't any help. They make the truck look nicer and more modern, but as of light out put, there the same as the factory headlights. My goal for my truck is to do upgrades that make it look as factory as possible( confusing I know) I'm trying to make it look like a lariat or even a platinum. What does "PTM" the mirror caps mean?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Paint To Match

Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
If you regularly use satellite radio or a MP3 player, I would ditch the factory antenna for a shorty model.

I also think the trucks look better with the plain XL inserts instead of the orange reflectors in the mirrors, especially if you paint the caps to match the body colour.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Wow sweet looking ride! Did you buy it like that or did you add some goodies?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Brad8899
Hey thanks for the replies guys! For the pattern beam, i don't have a photo. I really don't know how I feel about the lights. When I got them, the left high beam would not work.. Let's just say customer support wasn't any help. They make the truck look nicer and more modern, but as of light out put, there the same as the factory headlights. My goal for my truck is to do upgrades that make it look as factory as possible( confusing I know) I'm trying to make it look like a lariat or even a platinum. What does "PTM" the mirror caps mean?
Yup, as someone else mentioned it's paint-to-match.

If you're trying to make it a Lariat, you could always just purchase go on eBay or something and buy Lariat parts from a Ford dealer on there. Most stuff works from trim-to-trim.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by 07massHD
Wow sweet looking ride! Did you buy it like that or did you add some goodies?
Thanks man! Other then the headlights, the truck is stock as it comes off the assembly line! I'm thinking of maybe doing a leveling kit.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad8899
Thanks man! Other then the headlights, the truck is stock as it comes off the assembly line! I'm thinking of maybe doing a leveling kit.
Great looking truck you have. A 2 inch leveling kit or the Bilstein 5100 shocks and some 33" tires would make your truck even better. Lots of member have leveled 4x2's and they look great!

Old 11-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
PTM really changed the look of my truck.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely agree with getting a stubby antenna. I think the factory antenna really takes away from the looks of the truck. I have this one...
Amazon.com: The Stubby Antenna for Ford F-150 (2009-2016): Automotive Amazon.com: The Stubby Antenna for Ford F-150 (2009-2016): Automotive

I will negatively impact your reception on stations that are not strong in your area, though. Also, I think window tinting makes a huge difference on how clean the truck looks from the outside and it also makes it more comfortable to be in the cab. Great looking truck though!

Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
PTM really changed the look of my truck.

Does anyone know where and how much it is to get PTM Mirrors and door handles?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonBruins
PTM mirror caps would be a subtle yet effective mod, lots of people do it and it seems fairly easy. I have no reason to since my truck is black.
I agree but disagree. PTM mirror caps only, sure that's useless. The whole mirror now, well, 100% worth it.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PTM grill surround would look good.

Quick Reply: Trying to make truck look nicer