2004 - 2008 F-150

4 wheel drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 wheel drive problem

I have an 07 with a 5.4. In 2 wheel drive it drives fine. If i put it in 4 hi. The truck will every few feet lock up. You can hear the tires chirp. Its taken chunks out of the rubber. The front diff will get supper hot.
I rebuilt the transfer case it still does it. then tried swapping in a used one. I swapped the electric motor on the transfer case too. I rebuilt the front diff. still does it. I'm getting no codes on the computer. I really dont know what else to try.
Any suggestion please?
The only other thing i can think of is the vacuum solenoid for the locking hubs?
Thanks

Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 AM
have you changed front diff or rear diff axle ratio's? if so both diffs need to be the same ratio.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Also, are the front and rear tires the same size?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
I have an 07 with a 5.4. In 2 wheel drive it drives fine. If i put it in 4 hi. The truck will every few feet lock up. You can hear the tires chirp. Its taken chunks out of the rubber. The front diff will get supper hot.
I rebuilt the transfer case it still does it. then tried swapping in a used one. I swapped the electric motor on the transfer case too. I rebuilt the front diff. still does it. I'm getting no codes on the computer. I really dont know what else to try.
Any suggestion please?
The only other thing i can think of is the vacuum solenoid for the locking hubs?
Thanks
For it to chirp and take chunks of rubber out and overheat the differential in 4wd .... sounds like you are running it in 4WD on hard surfaces (and then those symptoms would be expected before something in the drivetrain just gives up). It don't matter if tires are same size and gears same and you go in a straight line, even slight tread wear differences or loading "front vs rear" will result in severe drive line bind up which will lead to hot diffs and worn gears and short life U-joints. Make even a slight turn and the rear wheels travel a shorter distance as they cut a tighter circle and then you add more bind up.

If you are running it in 4WD on hard surfaces ....
.... then you don't have a 4wd problem yet ....
.... what that truck needs is an owner who will read the owners manual.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-25-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yep... sounds like they are treating its like AWD and driving it on hard surfaces.

I've never had "chunks" of tire taken off when using 4wd even on the driest and rockiest of soils. Mind you my truck isn't 4wd, but I've owned 4wds, my tractor is 4wd, and I've got 4wd work trucks, and never have experienced any of that unless I forget to turn it off and then I hear it bind up a little, then I turn it off.... but not drive around like that.

This is what makes auto manufacturers take away the fun of owning a vehicle that you have switches and ***** that control the vehicle dynamics.

I'm betting one of these days, there will be AWD F150s and SuperDutys... just because people can't read the damn manual or use common sense for their damn near $50k+ piece of equipment.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 AM
I love how you assume, what i'm doing and treating my vehicle. No the problem first happened on ice of the winter and will do it in the mud also.
It was the transfer case. its all fixed. But thanks for being no help and assuming I don't know how to use my truck

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
I love how you assume, what i'm doing and treating my vehicle. No the problem first happened on ice of the winter and will do it in the mud also.
It was the transfer case. its all fixed. But thanks for being no help and assuming I don't know how to use my truck
Well "gixxer" ... read your own first post .... you for sure did not hear tires chirping and have chunks of tire tread removed on ice or in the mud, nor likely did the front differential get "super hot" .... those things don't happen on slick surfaces .... and if you forget what part I mean, look where I quoted it. No "assuming" to it, you gave us a description that leads to no other conclusion. If we got it wrong, it was your fault.

I for one have read your post a couple times .... again just now .... and I still think we nailed it.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-28-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM
I hate to jump on your back, but I agree with tbear853.
It reminds me of someone who goes to a doctor with an issue, but they don't correctly explain all of the symptoms they're having. Then when he/she doesn't diagnose their illness correctly, that doctor is a no good worthless so and so. I've seen it so many times...

Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could it be lack of limited slip additive?

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive problem