2004 - 2008 F-150

Found out something interesting about my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found out something interesting about my truck

Apperantly it doesnt have power mirrors. My best guess is sometime along the line of the previous owner having it (original owner) he replaced the mirrors with aftermarket tow mirrors (weather it had tow mirrors stock, i do not know). So i was chasing my tail looking for a failure in the pwer mirror curcuit, when there was nothing wrong with it...just the mirrors!

I really hope i dont find any more suprises.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
what year is the truck? that should be a dead giveaway on whether or not tow mirrors were stock. I believe 08 was the first year they were an option.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 AM

Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
My '77 don't have them either, I adjusted them in '89 after the last repaint when I put the mirrors back on. Still good.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
My '77 don't have them either, I adjusted them in '89 after the last repaint when I put the mirrors back on. Still good.
So helpful, really. Proud of urself Lemme email u a cookie

I dont care if they are power or not, but they arent whats supposed to be on there. None of my other trucks have em, but they were tht way from the factory.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All mirrors are power adjusting except for the XL model mirrors that look like tall squared out Dodge Ram mirrors. The real square mirror bodies all power adjust but higher models have options like heat defrost, puddle lights, and drivers dimming mirror. So unless your trucks an XL, then it should be power adjusting

Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM
My truck has power mirrors, but the mirrors themselves appear to be manual tow mirrors (aftermarket replacements). I originally thought they were stock, and power but either the switch was bad/fuse blown/wire rubbed though/etc. After digging into it i found all systems fine, then took a look at the mirrors themselves and found out they arent.

So, i chased my tail thinking they were in-op when really they just were manual replacements.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Well they most be aftermarket tow mirrors then, as the Ford tow mirrors are power mirrors with puddle lamp. They are not, however, power-folding/power-extending like the SuperDuties are.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Optika1 illushu
Well now, you sure put him in his place didn't ya?

Oh, and quit lying, there is absolutely nothing in this thread that could be mistaken for being interesting!

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 03-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Put him in his place? Na, just a little friendly ribbing back. Im sure if he was butt hurt, i would have recieved a PM about it.

And i guess its must have caught the interest for 319 people to look at it, and for u to post a reply.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Optika1 illushu

I dont care if they are power or not, but they arent whats supposed to be on there. None of my other trucks have em, but they were tht way from the factory.

Well, I was just interjecting a little levity into the thread without asking how many bought a truck and titled it and made it their own and still didn't know the power mirrors weren't power and then broadcast it all over the internet to what purpose except to make fun of themselves?

After all .... it ain't like you were asking us to help track down the reason for them not working .... you already figured that out, even if it was a bit late.

I can't speak for all, but I usually adjust the mirrors at the start of the test drive before putting it in gear even, about the same time I adjust the seat, steering wheel, and buckle up.

I know I make fun of myself when I do something as s .... silly, but if I post it here or elsewhere .... then it's for everyone's fun. Laughter is often the best remedy when there is no other available.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Actually i broguth it to the salesmans attention, he had a tech look at it but since they werent a Ford dealer and i didnt want to wait for it to be fixed he said he would cover parts/repairs. So i bought a new switch after checking the fuses and still nothing. That made me have suspesion on if they were not power or something else was fubar.

So my initial theory was right, not factory.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Probably be a stretch then to expect them to pay for replacement power mirrors, not really a repair so to speak, but it would be a way for them to make it right.

Thing about not waiting for repairs to be made before purchase is many places, many car sales persons are "less motivated" to make you happy after the sale than they are when the sale is still "pending".

Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Ya i understand. It was partly my fault. On the initial test drive i didnt check to see if they "worked". When we went back to pick it up i checked and they didnt "work", and being we drove over an hr one way it wasnt feasible for me to go back for it to be fixed.

So it was partly my fault cuz i didnt wanna wait and didnt check it initially...and partly thier fault cuz they didnt check em in the initial inspection. But i did get a new power mirror switch out of the deal. Its not a huge concern to me since i planned to swap them mirrors out from the get go.

Quick Reply: Found out something interesting about my truck