1997 - 2003 F-150

97 2WD lower ball joint procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 2WD lower ball joint procedure

My 97 2WD has a loud squeak on the right front, consensus seems to be lower ball joint. My repair book seems to say the control arm should be replaced, but I think just the lower joint can be replaced. Do these steps seem complete?
1) support lower arm
2) remove brake caliper and anchor bracket
3) remove ball joint bolt, and pop off the spindle (not sure if the tie rod end also has to be separated?
4) press out the old, press in the new (I have a tool)
5) reattach spindle, brake caliper anchor bracket and caliper

Am I correct in assuming that the shock does not have to be removed, nor the coil spring compressed?

Thanks...

Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You are correct. Shock and coil are fine. Check the upper as well.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sounds about right to me.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Well, turns out is was the upper joint. Very hard to see the condition with that plastic sleeve thing on it.. Control arm on order, next weekend project. Also had the hood latch spring break, and had a frozen caliper pin... 17 years of northeast road salt I guess...

Old 09-06-2014, 03:39 PM
OK, I changed lower ball joint, upper control arm (new bushings and ball joint), shock, and outer tie rod end (all this done to both sides). The loud "creaking" sound on the passenger side is still there. I noticed a lot of rust on the bottom of the coil spring, and the coating is peeling off (not sure of it is paint or vinyl of some sort). Could the spring itself be creaking? It does not look to be broken, but it is difficult to see it. The top seems to have some rubber mount, but the bottom does not...

Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 PM
The coil spring isolater is only on the top (the rubber mount). The creaking could be a number of things including the sway bar end link, the upper control arm bushings (if you reused the old ones), the lower control arm bushings, and the coil spring rubbing (as you were thinking). You can rule some things out by greasing them and seeing if the sound goes away.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 PM
The upper control arm bushings are new... I tried to spray some lubricant on the lower arm bushings, no help. The noise seems to be near the wheel... Since I can create the noise by pushing on the front end to get it bouncing, I think I will try disconnecting the sway bar link to see if that stops it. If not, I guess I'll have to pull the spring next. Since it is pretty badly rusted at the bottom, I guess replacement is the only option...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart %$@ but, did you grease the new lower and upper ball joints?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
did you "clock" the control arm bushings in the correct spot?

Sway bar end links and bushings could be your culprit. Typically heard twisting chassis

Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes, new ball joints were greased... Also the upper control arm bushings were installed the same (I marked the position of that eccentric bolt head).. I am hoping the sway bar link is the cause..

Old 09-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
its not the bolt that is the issue, the bushing needs to be "clocked" in the position it sits under normal operation. If not you will quickly destroy the bushing.

Either do final torque with the suspension assembled and the weight on the suspension (with or without wheel on)
Or approximate where the control arm sits, and tighten the bolt while holding the arm where it normally sits.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 PM
OK, I haven't driven it yet.. I'll pull each wheel, support the truck with a jack under the lower control arm, then re-torque each bushing..

Old 09-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Finally found the cause of the creaking noise, the stabilizer bar link on that side was in bad shape. The plastic sleeve had cracked from top to bottom, and the bolt was badly rusted inside. Not to mention the bushings which may have once been rubber but now resemble bakelite. Thanks for all the suggestions and help...

Old 10-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Crap. Noise is back. I can make it happen by just bouncing the right front up and down while parked.. I also had replaced the front springs and isolators (both springs were broken near the bottom). To isolate, I disconnected the sway bar and the outer tie rod, and the noise is still there. So I have a new upper control arm, lower ball joint, spring, shock, sway bar link, and outer tie rod end. The only thing not changed was the lower control arm bushings at this point, so I think that has to be the source of the noise. Is it difficult to replace just the lower control arm bushings? I could replace the whole arm, but I already did the ball joint, so the bushings are the only thing to change...

Old 10-27-2014, 04:24 PM
FWIW, I finally found the source of the creak, and it had nothing to do with the suspension. There is significant rust on what I guess is the front radiator support, and the metal is separating near where it bolts onto a frame mounting bracket. I guess the body flexing when hitting bumps caused the noise. Most of what I did replace was worn anyhow... Had to prop up the radiator on that side also, wedged a piece of wood between the bottom of the radiator and the frame. Shame the thing is rotting away like this.

Quick Reply: 97 2WD lower ball joint procedure