Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

1997 - 2003 F-150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

is my starter solenoid bad?

hey guys yesterday my mom drove my truck to work and when trying to come home the truck wouldnt start.. all it does is make a little click then nothing. I know its not the battery because it has an optima inside of it..

I have the viper remote start system in it and have used it before.. Does remote starting the truck cause harm to the starter or anything?

AAA sais it is the solenoid but we've owned this truck for 10 years now, 3 myself, and nothing like this has ever happened

2000 f150 lariat w/ remote start

if you need any more info let me know

thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150 7700
have someone take a screw driver and touch the to main metal ports(make sure there wearing gloves or something). there are two(well three but don't use/touch the smaller one) of them and i think there the top and bottom one. while touching those two start the truck. if it starts its the solenoid if it doesn't then you got other problems.

good luck
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford F150
10 years on the original starter, its a possibility. There are a few things you can check though, like F150man said... hope you like fireworks I would say pull it and take it in to have it tested for free at an auto store. But they are not fun to pull. That was one of the toughest parts I remember about my motor swap on my 99 was what a PITA the starter was to put back on. Not much room in there.

I don't think a remote starter would affect anything about the starter or solenoid. It starts the same way you would start it manually as far as those components go.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
2000 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150man21 View Post
... while touching those two start the truck. if it starts its the solenoid if it doesn't then you got other problems.
+1

You want to put the key in the vehicle and turn the ignition to "Run" (where it normally rests while you're driving), then short the two bigger (top & bottom) posts. The bottom one probably has a plastic cover over it (see pic). A screwdriver with plastic handle and gloves will probably work. I just used a 4" length of 12 gauge wire. If the truck starts, replace the relay (called a solenoid by the parts stores, but it's really just a relay). Cheap and easy.

Click the image to open in full size.
(Note: Mine is a Duralast Gold replacement part. Your stock part should be black and not have the little post on the left.)

2000 F150 XLT 5.4L 2WD
SuperCab Sport w/ Flareside

See my Garage for mods & additional info

Last edited by ucfperspicere; 05-05-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
2002 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150 5.4
David C. Shoun dcshoun
Send a message via AIM to Red02FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfperspicere View Post
If the truck starts, replace the relay (called a solenoid by the parts stores, but it's really just a relay). Cheap and easy.
+2
If it doesn't... replace the starter

Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/17's... Kenwood DDX512 DVD... Eclipse component speakers... Audiobahn A6601Q Amp
Recon Rear LED tails,3rd brake light & Xtreme Light bar... Magnaflow Cat-Back Duals...PHP Gryphon Tuner
---------------------------------------------------
http://www.f150online.com/forums/gen...-glossary.html

Last edited by Red02FX4; 05-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
2000 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red02FX4 View Post
... If it doesn't... replace the starter
Not cheap or easy. But if it's gotta' be done, good luck! Tight space, but it can be done.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Garage is empty, add now

AAA did exactly what you guys said so it must be the solenoid.

dont understand why it would randomly go out, but oh well

thanks guys
Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
2002 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150 5.4
David C. Shoun dcshoun
Send a message via AIM to Red02FX4
good deal

Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/17's... Kenwood DDX512 DVD... Eclipse component speakers... Audiobahn A6601Q Amp
Recon Rear LED tails,3rd brake light & Xtreme Light bar... Magnaflow Cat-Back Duals...PHP Gryphon Tuner
---------------------------------------------------
http://www.f150online.com/forums/gen...-glossary.html
Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
2000 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaxxracer32 View Post
dont understand why it would randomly go out, but oh well
I've had my truck over 10 years. Other than the two batteries that have died from age, I'd never had problems starting my truck. Then, about a month ago, I randomly had the same problem as you. And it was truly random because it would not start, then a couple hours later it would start fine, then it would not start again later (seemed to want to not start primarily when I was away from home ).

Anyway, point is: sometimes electronics just fail, and it's often random and intermittent. At least it wasn't an expensive mechanical component.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Garage is empty, add now

glad to know Im not alone in this!

also, good to know my mom didnt do anything stupid to break it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfperspicere View Post
I've had my truck over 10 years. Other than the two batteries that have died from age, I'd never had problems starting my truck. Then, about a month ago, I randomly had the same problem as you. And it was truly random because it would not start, then a couple hours later it would start fine, then it would not start again later (seemed to want to not start primarily when I was away from home ).

Anyway, point is: sometimes electronics just fail, and it's often random and intermittent. At least it wasn't an expensive mechanical component.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM
2000 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F-150 7700
chrmar
It is also possible to change just the solenoid on the starter itself. This is necessary sometimes if the terminals have corroded off (as in my case).
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM