1997 - 2003 F-150

is my starter solenoid bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is my starter solenoid bad?

hey guys yesterday my mom drove my truck to work and when trying to come home the truck wouldnt start.. all it does is make a little click then nothing. I know its not the battery because it has an optima inside of it..

I have the viper remote start system in it and have used it before.. Does remote starting the truck cause harm to the starter or anything?

AAA sais it is the solenoid but we've owned this truck for 10 years now, 3 myself, and nothing like this has ever happened

2000 f150 lariat w/ remote start

if you need any more info let me know

thanks guys!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have someone take a screw driver and touch the to main metal ports(make sure there wearing gloves or something). there are two(well three but don't use/touch the smaller one) of them and i think there the top and bottom one. while touching those two start the truck. if it starts its the solenoid if it doesn't then you got other problems.

good luck

Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
10 years on the original starter, its a possibility. There are a few things you can check though, like F150man said... hope you like fireworks I would say pull it and take it in to have it tested for free at an auto store. But they are not fun to pull. That was one of the toughest parts I remember about my motor swap on my 99 was what a PITA the starter was to put back on. Not much room in there.

I don't think a remote starter would affect anything about the starter or solenoid. It starts the same way you would start it manually as far as those components go.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by F150man21
... while touching those two start the truck. if it starts its the solenoid if it doesn't then you got other problems.
+1

You want to put the key in the vehicle and turn the ignition to "Run" (where it normally rests while you're driving), then short the two bigger (top & bottom) posts. The bottom one probably has a plastic cover over it (see pic). A screwdriver with plastic handle and gloves will probably work. I just used a 4" length of 12 gauge wire. If the truck starts, replace the relay (called a solenoid by the parts stores, but it's really just a relay). Cheap and easy.

(Note: Mine is a Duralast Gold replacement part. Your stock part should be black and not have the little post on the left.)

Last edited by ucfperspicere; 05-05-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by ucfperspicere
If the truck starts, replace the relay (called a solenoid by the parts stores, but it's really just a relay). Cheap and easy.
+2
If it doesn't... replace the starter

Last edited by Red02FX4; 05-05-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
... If it doesn't... replace the starter
Not cheap or easy. But if it's gotta' be done, good luck! Tight space, but it can be done.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
AAA did exactly what you guys said so it must be the solenoid.

dont understand why it would randomly go out, but oh well

thanks guys

Old 05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
good deal

Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by tmaxxracer32
dont understand why it would randomly go out, but oh well
I've had my truck over 10 years. Other than the two batteries that have died from age, I'd never had problems starting my truck. Then, about a month ago, I randomly had the same problem as you. And it was truly random because it would not start, then a couple hours later it would start fine, then it would not start again later (seemed to want to not start primarily when I was away from home ).

Anyway, point is: sometimes electronics just fail, and it's often random and intermittent. At least it wasn't an expensive mechanical component.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
glad to know Im not alone in this!

also, good to know my mom didnt do anything stupid to break it.

Originally Posted by ucfperspicere
I've had my truck over 10 years. Other than the two batteries that have died from age, I'd never had problems starting my truck. Then, about a month ago, I randomly had the same problem as you. And it was truly random because it would not start, then a couple hours later it would start fine, then it would not start again later (seemed to want to not start primarily when I was away from home ).

Anyway, point is: sometimes electronics just fail, and it's often random and intermittent. At least it wasn't an expensive mechanical component.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM
It is also possible to change just the solenoid on the starter itself. This is necessary sometimes if the terminals have corroded off (as in my case).

Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Wont start wouldnt stop turning over

I have 2002 Ford F150. Was starting fine then one day it just would do nothing no click or anything and battery was fine and charged. Tried to jump it and cable wires and when turned key it turned like it was trying to start . Turned key off and it kept trying to start even with key out of ignition THEN wires got hot started smoking and melting. Fried my battery. Tried another battery and did same thing.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
My goodness!
After 10 yeas, expect the starter brushes to wear down and hang up.
Replace the start relay for the low cost and the age of the original.
Burning wires is a short to ground.
Stop, find the reason before you burn the truck down.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: is my starter solenoid bad?