Grabbers 255/70/16's Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grabbers 255/70/16's Problems

I have a 01 Super Crew and the Rear Tires (after Rotation) give off a Harmonic Vibration @ 55-62+/-mph. Ford dealer diagnosed tires as being the issue and installed another set of rears off another truck to test. Problem was eliminated.

I asked the service manager what the next step was and he said I'd have to live with it. When I called Ford Customer service the rep stated that the tires should be covered under manufacturers warranty. Dealer said that only if there is a defect and my tires had no defect. He offered to replace the rear tires and that the manufacturer would cover 50% of the cost. Price? $75 a tire plus $20 a rim for mounting and balancing.

What is the Warranty? Does anyone else have these problems?

Old 12-12-2002, 05:51 PM
If it was having problems with the old tires and they replaced the tires and the problem went away it was most certainly the tires. Go tell the dealer hes eating the cost of them.

Old 12-12-2002, 08:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, that is what you get.

There is, in the owners manual, a card from the tire manufacture that shows the pro-rated amount / partical credit you get for x number of miles on the tires if there is a problem.

It is clearly stated in black and white, so if you go in expecting a brand new set of tires for free, you're not going to be happy, b/c you're not getting them for that cost.

Also the tire warr. card explains that you get this pro-rated credit on the tire alone, remounting and balancing them is at your cost, not Generals, not Fords.

Sorry, but read your documentation that came with the truck, that is what you are going to get. Ford customer service already told you this, adn if you try with the BBB / FTC or the states atty, they will laugh at you.
You can try for more, but if you start yelling and screaming, you might only get the dealer pissed off at you, and then your new set of tires might take...oh...say until the pro-rated amount is less then the money needed for the mount and balance.
Strange how they never seem to have tires / parts in stock, for the customer that yells at the dealer for wanting free sutt above and beyond the written documentation.

Good luck, and if you try to get something else out of the dealer, try to do it without pissing them off, else the one free thing you can count on getting is the shaft.

Old 12-13-2002, 09:59 AM
For one thing I can buy these tires @ $49.00 ea. by myself. tirerack.com has them on the shelf.

Didn't Ford change their warranty on tires for the 2001 year covering tires for the 3/36 warranty and then after that the manufacturers warranty takes effect.

The simple fact is that a vibrating tire like that has to be deffective if it is balanced out.

These things have 80% tread left and only had 20,000 miles on them. Ford customer service even said that they should covered under Ford's 3/36 Bumper to bumper. But the Dealer said the tires aren't defective. "Deal with it"

Forgot to mention that he blamed my Aftermarket exhaust for the vibration and didn't want to fix my slipping serpentine belt either. I haven't complained much about this truck but have had more problems than my 98 SC 4.2 5-spd allready. (traded it in with 150,000 on the clock)

Quick Reply: Grabbers 255/70/16's Problems