brake pedal goes to floor

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy brake pedal goes to floor

I have a '95 F150 and the brake pedal goes to the floor. I am not stupid enough to drive it so I had it towed to a garage and had it fixed. The passenger front side tire had brake fluid on it and I suspect the break line must have busted. The question I have is, how do you prevent this from happening. I thought that the brakes have some kind of redundant brake system. This is a very dangerous situation. How often should I have the brake lines changed?

Thanks,

GTG

Old 12-09-2002, 07:29 PM
It could have been your brake line, but usually I would suspect the cailper. Either way, the redundant brake system is your emergency brake, hince the name "emergency". Other than that, you can only hold on for the ride.

There are other things to prevent the line breakage, like braided brake lines etc.. But really it is just best to check or have your truck checked periodically to prevent such issues.

I have had many OLD cars in my(short) life and I have never busted a brake line, but I have busted many calipers from old age. The symptoms sound just like what you are describing.
I have also had many dry rotted brake lines and never had one bust.

Check your caliper and let us know.
Good Luck!!

Old 12-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Wink

Thanks for the reply! The repair bill says they replaced the brake line. We had a bunch of snow and ice just before the brake line ruptured. Maybe and ice ball got it.

Thanks and regards,

GTG

Old 12-14-2002, 10:45 PM
brake lines are not common but have seen a few, and as the legal representation of major auto companies might tell you it is a parking brake and not an emergency brake. Federal mandates require a redundant brake system but it does not have to be permanent, they accomplish this in the f150,s by splitting the master cylinder into 2 smaller masters, when hydraulic system failure occurs to one the second is still be actuated for emergencies, but once the reservoir is empty--thats all she wrote--

Quick Reply: brake pedal goes to floor