Scrubbing off lettering

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrubbing off lettering

I just got some new take off tires (see anyone got wild country tires thread) and they scrubbed off the lettering on both sides. I called them and they said it does not affect the performance of the tire, just cosmetics. Is this true? They did not go down to the cords, just the letters.

Old 11-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Wild Country Tires are manufactured by kelly Springfield and sold exclusively in the Northwest by Les Schwab Tires.

Scrubbing off the letters cant hurt anything but the looks of the tires. I hope you got a good deal on them. I can buy them for 118.00 each for 265 70 R17 they also don't make a LT (6ply)tire they come in P (4ply)series

Ive been told by my friends at les schwab that they have a problem with the larger sizes ie. 33" not being perfectly round and therefore may be a little noisy.

Hope this helps

Old 11-25-2002, 06:20 PM
I got them from Nebraska tire for $61.50 each plus $45 shipping for 5 tires. They said that they had to scrub the lettering off because they were not an actual dealer for this tire. I thought these tires were made by Multimile, maybe that is a spin off of Kelly? I bought 315-75 16's to go with my 4" lift. These are the Wild Country XTX's which are an 8 ply LT with 3195 lb. load capacity. They look great except for were the lettering was. Maybe a little tire gel will clean them

www.multimiletires.com

Old 11-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Sounds Good, Instead of trying to fix the looks I'd come up with a good story about 6 or 7 chevys I had to pull out of the monster mudhole and put some chevy kill stickers on the side for looks

Old 11-25-2002, 07:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Don't know about Kelly Springfield, but my dad got a settlement from Goodyear when one of his Wild Country RVT's from Les Schwab let loose and tore up the rear fender of his truck.......

Les Schwab gave him an 'allowence' on the remaining tread that was left on the tire, but submitted the claim to Goodyear. They (Goodyear) ended up paying for all of dad's out of pocket expenses, plus some extra.

He's got the Open Country now, made by Toyo. He's ok with them, but I don't think he'll go back to the Wild Country's....

I've got the Wild Country APT's and they are fine. I'm sure it was just one of those 'fluke' things that happen occasionally with any product. At least it's not as bad as that whole Firestone deal!!

Old 11-26-2002, 06:20 AM
Well tire gel didn’t make them look any better. They looked better just cleaned and not shined. Maybe that’s they way I'll have to leave them. The roundness makes me a bit nervous though. Could you explain more about that? I plan to mount these to 8" wheels and then on my Superduty, I want them to balance out ok, I mostly do highway driving.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:47 AM
OK, the way It was explained to me was:
There are several types of Wild Countries,as you know. XTX's, TXR's, RVT,APT,XRT see online at http://www.les-schwab.com

Wild Country's are made by several different manufacturers
Some are made by Goodyear some are made by TBC
Tire and battery corporation (which could be one of 2 companies Multi mile or Kelly) and some made by Toyo.

Even within series ie, XTX some sizes are made by one company while other sizes are made by another.

I was told that it was hard for manufacturers to make a perfectly round tire in the larger sizes ie, 33" and 35" and some companies are better at it than others,Toyo's for example are supposed to be excellent.

Sorry Bob yours are 34.5 x12 or 12.5 pretty darn big tires.
I had a set of XTXs on a 97 Chev and they were LOUD even at 25 MPH.
TXR's are very popular around here with the mud bog crowd.

If you drive down the road and you don't notice EXCESSIVE NOISE don't worry about it. If on the other hand you are on the interstate and you feel like youre riding a horse I'd replace them.

The good thing around here is if you buy them from les schwab and you don't like them you can return them within 30 days.

If youre concerned about the tires you got cheap from someone who isn't licenced to sell them, you might have a valid reason to be concerned as they could have been rejects. I'd try to send them back and get my money back. good thing is if you send them back you can cancel the transaction on your credit card even if they object,less shipping of course.

:o

Last edited by barbecueman; 11-26-2002 at 11:50 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Well I decided to return the tires. I talked to them and they were very understanding since they did not mention that the lettering would be scrubbed off, or that the tires were stamped OR which from what they told me is out of round specifications. I don't need the hassle of these tires on a newer truck. They said they would reimburse my shipping also and pay for the return. Great to work with, just ask questions before placing an order. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:21 AM
That's great that you got your shipping back too, not often someone returns that.

If I might ask why dont you go back to Brigestone Duelers. Ive been shopping for tires too and Its a toss up between the Goodyear ATS that I have on there now and Bridgestone Duelers I can get the GY's for 135.00 ea and the Bridgestones for 128.00 each LT265 70 R17.

Bridgestone and Firestone are a joint Corp and you should be able to get a really good deal on those right about now

Quick Reply: Scrubbing off lettering