New Type of Tire Balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Type of Tire Balance?

Just had my 305/70/17 MTR's installed a couple of days ago. Went with a different type of balancing. It's some type of poweder that comes in a small pack. They just throw it in the tire and mount it. The powder goes to the light spt in the tire to balance it. No weights. I was skeptical but they guarantee the balance for the life ot the tire and said if I wasn't satisfied they would remove it and use conventional weights for no charge. Believe it or not I have no vibration. anyone else ever here of this type of balancing???

Old 10-20-2002, 05:30 PM
I have had tires that needed anywhere from 1/4 ounce, to tires that needed 15 ounces to balance. How would you know how much, when you are mounting them? If that could be determined, it would be a good system, as there would be no more corrosion on your wheels around the weights. I have never heard of it though.

Old 10-20-2002, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure how it works but I do see your point. Maybe they drop in another if it's out of balance. First I ever heard of it also. Guess time will tell...

Old 10-21-2002, 12:25 AM
I think there was an article in Four Wheeler once which mentioned it or something similar. I'll see if I can find it.

I remember them saying it was was an especially good alternative for larger size tires.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:38 AM
I don't remember the name of it but your right it is recomended on larger wheels because you cannot balance wheels larger than 37? inches I believe. In most cases they let them "round" or balance themselves over time because the amount of weight needed to balance a wheel that size is unreal considering tires in that range are almost solid rubber.

Old 10-21-2002, 12:39 AM
Thumbs down

Had it installed in my tires about a month or so ago right after reading the article in the Four Wheeler Mag. Went back 2 days later to have them take it out. It was terrible. At certain speeds it was great but when it was bad it was REAL bad. Vibrate the truck like never before. They warned me about it before I put it in, but wanted to try it for myself.
Glad it worked for you but anyone else thinking about it, dont waste your money, find someone with a Hunter GSP 9700 balancer, its the only way to balance a tire. http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/product.htm

Scott

Old 10-21-2002, 12:55 AM
I'm so glad you brought this up. I had long forgotten about that type of balance. I have a slight problem with a balance issue and if someone can do this in my area it would help me.
I have heard and read of this type of balance before. I think one of the brand names was Equal.

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2002, 01:14 AM
I've been wanting to tell my father-in-law about the Hunter balancer after I read about it somewhere, but forgot the name.

Thanks for the reminder.

Old 10-21-2002, 08:08 AM
You can go to there web site and do a search to find a local dealer with the Hunter balancer. A lot of high end dealerships like Mercedes and BMW use them.
Also, you are right, it was called Equal. After talking to the sales reps at Equal, it sound like this stuff is used mostly in tractor trailers. Being such big tires on a semi, it probably works pretty good, a small vibration probably would not be felt that much on a semi.

Scott

Old 10-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Well, looks like I'm going to get mine taken out. Under spped of 65 they are great. Over I can feel the steering wheel shake. Not terrible but something I can do without for the life of the tire...

Quick Reply: New Type of Tire Balance?