Maintenance Question reg. Dot 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maintenance Question reg. Dot 3

Just wanted to know what the recommended period is for changing/flushing brake fluid.

I know what Ford requires, but I would like to know what others are doing.

thanks.

Old 10-17-2002, 01:07 PM
I just replaced my front rotors and installed new pads at 70K miles but didn't consider flushing or changing brake fluid. I know you can't tell by looking but my still looks fine.

Old 10-17-2002, 06:03 PM
Dot 3 brake absorbs moisture over time and loses it's effectiveness. I flushed my mustangs system and put in fresh valvoline synthetic dot 3/4. I haven't did my truck yet, although I'm sure it could use it.

I took a turkey baster and sucked out as much of the old fluid as possible and put in new. I then bleed each brake until good clean fluid comes out. Very easy.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:33 PM
It's a good idea to flush and fill the brake system with clean fluids every 2-3 years. Even though the brake fluid in the resevoir may look 'Clean', but if you start bleeding out the fluids from the bleeders, then you'll see just how black and dirty the fluid really is. It's cheap and easy to do (especially if you have a vacum bleeder), and your brakes will feel much better too.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:13 AM
I run about 10,000-11,000 mi. a year. Does every 30,000 mi. sound about right?

Thanks for the imput!

Old 10-18-2002, 02:59 PM
30K sounds good. Go for it.

Old 10-29-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm really beginning to think this is the problem with my truck. I have 107K and have only had one brake job at about 70K. My mechanic who just did an inspection said that pads are fine, but I get a periodic pulsing from my brakes. It's not a warped rotor because it only happens when the brakes are under load (pulling an unbraked trailer) or get hotter from extended use (trips or hot days). I think that my brake fluid has water in it and is boiling. Does this sound right to anyone.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2002, 11:08 PM
Dot 3 has a tendency to draw in water, especially if the fluid has not been changed for years. That would certainly cause the fluid to boil. But, I don't know if that's you problem.

Have it checked out.

G.Luck

Old 10-30-2002, 12:46 PM
I have a few questions somewhat on this topic.
1) Why does the brake fluid get dark so quickly? I changed my fluid a couple of years ago and it was dark again in 2 weeks. My wifes Nissan has never been changed and is still relatively clear after 5 years of hard driving.

2) Do those one man auto bleeders work and work for changing the fluid. (the type sold at say Autozone)

3) My front pads are worn very unevenly from inside pad to outside pad - could this be from improper caliper pin lubrication from the factory? The calipers do not seem to move freely when the I have compressed the piston. I was wondering since there seems to be a common belief that breaks wear out quickly on our trucks if the frozen movement of a caliper would cause premature wear of one pad and therefore require early replacement.

Thanks for any info

Dave

Quick Reply: Maintenance Question reg. Dot 3